Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tams

MultiCharts Going GOLD Soon !

Having paid $50 (I think that was how much I paid) for a lifetime licences it was not such a big gamble ;) Having said that I paid in blood sweat & tears (and a lot of time invested) in the early days.

I tried Amibroker and liked it though it was just a bit too different in how it did things. If you are familiar with Tradestation you will be right at home with MC it is TS+ really. Actually that is both an advantage and disadvantage. Easy Language support +++, Following some of the more archaic 'legacy' ways that supercharts/tradestation does things ---.

How does it compare to TradeStation and AmiBroker, if you know?

MultiCharts has made extensive enhancements to the EasyLanguage.

You can do a lot more analysis (eg. at sec or tick levels) and

plot the results on the chart with more text/graphics manipulations.

(eg. adjust text size, draw trendlines/arrows on subcharts, etc.)

p.s. a lot of these enhancements are what TradeStation users have been begging for many years (see TradeStation forum).

Edited by Tams

MC has an advantage as a discretionary tool because of faster trendlines, multiple tick feeds in a chart, sub-minute time charts and others mentioned above. However, as an automated trading tool, it is risky and insufficiently tested compared to TS. The data feed and database management are also lacking or less reliable.

There are also subtle EL differences:

attachment.php?attachmentid=10215&stc=1&d=1239982413

TSvsMC2009-04-17_112258.gif.d12a8ff711b706336dab955b62c7c465.gif

How does it compare to TradeStation and AmiBroker, if you know?

I have tried AmiBroker.

I found AB to be a solid platform, with a reliable trading engine and rich backtesting facilities.

However the AFL (AB's proprietary programming language) is a bit quirky.

The syntax is not as extensive as MC's enhanced EasyLanguage, and there are not as many free code examples on the web.

p.s. if AB adds EasyLanguage compatibility (which, with their programming prowess, is not that difficult to do), can make AB a formidable alternative.

Edited by Tams

I am having trouble with platforms that are server protected by the vendor (Its a form of code protection, will not get into terms and details here),so in essence part of the calcs you program end on the "other side" , which to me is a breach of my privacy and security.

I understand why they protect it that way, but having spent xxxxxxxxxxxxx hours on programming complex algos I wouldnt play them on this (hence why most of my stuff is on a Gui/platform I programmed...to answer some private messages i got here).

NOTE: that if you firewall it, MC will not work, yeh I know I am going Orwellian on you guys but hey just take caution .

If you disregard the above,All and all its a great program, with very good multicore support.

If you put a packet sniffer on the line and see what is exchanged you will see it does not send 'calcs you program'. It will also run a month firewalled before it needs to 'phone home' again (though they periodically mess with the security protocols, so that might be different now). So you can open up the ports start MC and close the ports if you are really paranoid :)

Oh Gold just released yesterday btw.

Edit: I have a problem with this sort of security too, with me it's waking up one day to discover your software no longer runs as the company is in recievership.

If you put a packet sniffer on the line and see what is exchanged you will see it does not send 'calcs you program'. It will also run a month firewalled before it needs to 'phone home' again (though they periodically mess with the security protocols, so that might be different now). So you can open up the ports start MC and close the ports if you are really paranoid :)

Oh Gold just released yesterday btw.

Edit: I have a problem with this sort of security too, with me it's waking up one day to discover your software no longer runs as the company is in recievership.

Negative,

Please check before commenting :>.

They changed the security since prev versions have been hacked.

Now every time you run it it calls home.EVERY TIME. Also it does host some calcs, check band leaks with version 5, check before commenting....

Furtheremore, Sniffers are bull. These are top Russian programmers.

I did check before commenting did you? how? The only sure way to test is using a packet sniffer and protocol analyser. I used WireShark or Ethereal with Winpcap.

Sniffers are not bull they are the only way to see reliably exactly what is being sent back and forth to claim otherwise just shows inexperience.

If you analyse the packets going back and forwards you will see there are is no code being sent back. Simple as that. What gets sent back and forth is the same regardless of whether you have a fresh install on the client with no studies or the most complicated workspaces you can imagine.

Exactly what are you alleging is being sent back and how did you determine that?

You are however correct they did change the DRM protocol in V 5.3 beta to check more aggressively though I think it will run in offline mode quite hapilly.

Negative,

Please check before commenting :>.

They changed the security since prev versions have been hacked.

Now every time you run it it calls home.EVERY TIME. Also it does host some calcs, check band leaks with version 5, check before commenting....

Furtheremore, Sniffers are bull. These are top Russian programmers.

I am paranoid too.

I agree, we should all check before commenting.

I would like to see how we check... this is very important information to all.

I am paranoid.

Did you know Quotetracker can get your broker's account number, password, account balance ????

so can Ninja and AmiBroker?

actually any software that does trade management for you has your account information.

I think AmiBroker is from an Eastern Bloc country, so as OpenQuant...

plus a few more.

Nothing is from Nigeria for all I know.

;-)>