Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

cowcool

Intraday Trading Trailing Stop for Emini S&P

Do you guys using trailing stop instead of stop loss? . I am kinda confused of what is more approriate , down in pts or percentage? . I usually use percentage for stocks but emini S&P is different because it uses increment of 0.25

What is appropriate trailing stop in pts for emini sp intraday trading? . I don't want to get knocked often for settin too tight trailing stop.

Thx!!

I think you are asking 2 questions, b/c a stop loss order is to get you out of a losing trade, while a trailing stop is typically used when a position is going in your favor. So it's very possible to use BOTH - stop loss when you get into trade and trailing stop once you are in profit.

no, a sneak preview of something that i like to use. I'm not one for giving the golden goose away, but think it's something that people can apply whatever methods they're using to trade. A move is a move, and this will help people stay in it

If you want to see how to trail stops based on price action take a look at Tim Morges video blogs at medianline.com. Classic stuff from a market veteran. If you dig deeper you will find archives with more examples from years gone by.

Do you guys using trailing stop instead of stop loss? . I am kinda confused of what is more approriate , down in pts or percentage? . I usually use percentage for stocks but emini S&P is different because it uses increment of 0.25

What is appropriate trailing stop in pts for emini sp intraday trading? . I don't want to get knocked often for settin too tight trailing stop.

Thx!!

try one SD on the other side of a 20MA.

Or 1SD from the VWAP...or parabolic SAR.....or 2 bar closes against your position or 2 bar hi/lows....or chandelier stop or or or or :D

Exactly, you have to find what works for you. In a strong trending environment, a trail behind a moving average or SAR can work nicely. In a choppy environment those options will severely lag. Just depends on what the trader is trying to accomplish - catch the big, occasional trending day or crank out some profits on most trades.