Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I don't kow if this is the right place for this thread but I'm looking for the best solution in order to program my trading method.

What should I choose between MQL4 (MT4) or EasyLanguage (TS) or NinjaTrader or what else ??

What is the most Easy solution ?

Thanks in advance,

if you haven't taken a course in computer programming...

this might help you to understand the requirements.

you will need to understand the difference between Procedural Programming and Object Oriented Programming

MT4 and EasyLanguage are Procedural Languages,

NinjaTrder has 2 programming methods:

Ninjascript is Procedual, and C# is Object Oriented.

p.s. more readings available on the web.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Oj4xcD52A]YouTube - Procedural vs. Object-Oriented[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5kfCH50wl0]YouTube - Object Oriented Programming[/ame]

Edited by Tams

Thank you for this answer.

I have some idea about computer programming.

In fact, I'd like to know the best choice in order to develop the program as fast as possible...

I don't know if I need procedural language or object oriented one to reach this goal ?

After reading some exemple of expert advisors in MQL4, I'm a little bit afraid ;-)

Thank you for this answer.

I have some idea about computer programming.

In fact, I'd like to know the best choice in order to develop the program as fast as possible...

I don't know if I need procedural language or object oriented one to reach this goal ?

After reading some exemple of expert advisors in MQL4, I'm a little bit afraid ;-)

This is like asking if blue or green is the better looking color. What is easy for one person, might not be easy for another person.

You need to define your goal first in order to decide what you need. Just saying easy is not really a well defined goal. The only way to decide what you really need is to write down what your requirements are and what you are looking for and then look into the different options to see which will meet your requirements the closest.

Thank you Sevensa for your comment.

In fact, what I want is very simple : to program my trading system in order to backtest it with different value of the parameters...

I suppose that either Easylanguage or NinjaTrader are abble to meet this request, but I also suppose that one language is maybe more accessible for a newbie than the others ..??..

My system is something not really original, with 4 different modules (Setup module, MM Module, Order Module and Exit Module) it's like every automated trading system..??..

So, I imagine that all programming languages are able to meet my needs, but I prefer to invest the learning time on the product that wins the approval of the majority of users...

If all the people prefer the green product I will try the green one ;-)...

C# is a more power language... it is the language of choice for the professionals,

but not an easy challenge for the uninitiated.

EasyLanguage is really easy... even I know it. ;-)>

MT4 is popular among Forex traders...

Ninja is free... you can download the program and see if you can make it go.

Tradestation is also free, for the account holders and active traders.

You can try MultiCharts; it uses EasyLanguage. The free trial is 30 days.

I would say if you have no programming expertise easy language is by far the 'easiest'. It's not really anything to do with the syntax of the language but how you 'interface' with the charting program (to read data series, call functions/access methods, and to plot results). Imho the mechanisms to do this are trickier in meta and ninja (by quite a significant amount).

MT4 is fun and colourful but has the drawback that it tends to be supplied by bucket shops rather than brokers. It is a 'locked in' platform I use it (actually I use all three) but for nothing 'serious'. The same could be said about tradestation but multicharts (which compiles easy language) gets round that.

There are a few specific little things that only one or the other will do that are unlikely to effect you (unless you are really pushing the envelope). For example only NT has access to the full order book (outside best bid and ask) programatically.

BlowFish thank you for this help!

I will look at TradeStation tutorials...

I understand that Multicharts compiles easy language, but what is the best solution between Multicharts and TradeStation?

And finally, the function and data to perform backtesting (I trade forex market only) are they better than what exists on MT4 (I have heard many criticisms of the limited relevance of MT4 backtest ...)

Your choices for easy language are TS or MC. I hear Open Ecry's (OEC) platform compiles easy language. Tradestation provide there customers data MC interfaces with most major data providers. Can't really comment on MT4 even though I like the charts I don't consider it a real trading platform mainly for the reason listed (only bookies provide it, not brokers).