Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brainycat

Interactive Broker Starter API?

I currently trade manullay via interactive brokers and am interested in automating some of my trading strategies. They are nothing fancy, just using stchastics on multiple time frames, so i figure they could be easily programmed. What I am looking for is a barebones system (no charting needed) that can connect to TWS. I have a little programming experience with vb.net so would be looking to use that language.

In a nutshell this is what I want to do:

1) bring in historical and realtime data

2) manipulate it into bars of various time frames

3) apply my strategy and screen for buy/sell signals

4) check portfolio to see if a position is open or not

5) check account to see if available funds exist

6) submit the order market or limit

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If some decent commercially available APIs exist I would be interesting in learning about those as well.

Thanks in advance.

Guest lclark

Another option is Multicharts. You can autotrade Interactive Brokers from Multicharts. They use Easylanguage. Download the client side IB API Demo and you can connect it to Multicharts to back test and forward test (sim trade) on simulated data. I have used this setup in the past and it works well.

... They are nothing fancy, just using stchastics on multiple time frames ...

In a nutshell this is what I want to do:

1) bring in historical and realtime data

2) manipulate it into bars of various time frames

3) apply my strategy and screen for buy/sell signals

4) check portfolio to see if a position is open or not

5) check account to see if available funds exist

6) submit the order market or limit

I have done quite some programming with the IB API.

My rough estimation about your goals (in lines of code) would be:

1) historical data: >1500 (!!) - if done correctly

realtime 200

2) 200

3) ??? depends on the strategy

4) 50

5) 50

6) market: 50

limit: depends on how to compute it - perhaps >200

In my view this is a major project and many unexpected problems will arise from the API.

Any program that gives some support would save lots of time.

Therefore Tradestation or Multicharts would certainly be a good framework especially because they can handle the historical backfill thing.

tradelink will also handle the backfill "thing", and allow you to use the same strategy in backtesting as in live trading...

it's free and open source, and it supports multiple brokers including IB.

In my view this is a major project and many unexpected problems will arise from the API.

I agree, been there, done it (and still do it).

Well sometimes I wonder, if it was worth it,

but anyway; I still like it somehow.

tradelink will also handle the backfill "thing", and allow you to use the same strategy in backtesting as in live trading...

it's free and open source, and it supports multiple brokers including IB.

I'd be interested in examining it if it could support TOS. Any plans in this regard?

bigdavie....

the last time I looked at think or swim, they didn't have an API as part of their standard products....

it looked like they had some stuff in the works, but it was mostly FIX related for institutions and had seperate charges....

am I missing something?

-josh

Will IB let you run two applications off it? I use amibroker for charting and XLQ to load data into Excel for analysis. Would IB be able to handle both RT?

Yes, it can. I have Multicharts and NinjaTrader connected to it at the same time. I have recently started to experiment with Amibroker for realtime charting and had no issue having it connected as well.

bigdavie....

the last time I looked at think or swim, they didn't have an API as part of their standard products....

it looked like they had some stuff in the works, but it was mostly FIX related for institutions and had seperate charges....

am I missing something?

-josh

They have straight DDE, from what I understand. Simplistic, but works.

I appreciate all the responses and the good info. I have been looking at existing platforms like multicharts and ninja trader and will likely use those as a fall back. I think I will try and modify the sample code (either activeX or the excelDDE) from IB to see if I can make that work. I figure even if I can't the journey will have its own rewards.