Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2009

As we get close to the end of the year, I finally updated my Excel sheet to track the results on here for me.

12-13-09 Running P/L Tracker From Start of Thread

attachment.php?attachmentid=16568&stc=1&d=1260763085

The overall result is not bad, but as you can see, I am below my target of $500/day. It seems like such an easy target to hit but to do it consistently is not so easy for me at least. There were plenty of days looking back that if I just did what I set out do, the cumulative would be quite a bit higher. You guys have gotten a sampling of this recently.

So that's where I stand so far. Assuming there isn't a major blowup here before the end of the year, should be around $50k in trading profits shown since the the start of the thread which was March 2nd, 2009 and I took a break over the summer. It's all relative and some will be impressed and others will think it's a poor performance. Personally I am in the middle - it has not been phenomenal but it hasn't been terrible either.

Keep in mind that the majority of trades have been 1 contract with a few multi-contracts scattered throughout. I set out to show if you had a $10,000 futures account what you could do with that b/c of the leverage afforded in these markets.

5aa70f8123454_P-LTracker.png.25b59ac64514b2bbe51d293c9b6217aa.png

Excel question - is there another way to take a screenshot of a chart other than right in the worksheet itself and still get good quality? When I take the screenshot while in print preview, the quality drops significantly. So I just took the screenshot while in the worksheet but I hate seeing the gridlines behind the screenshot. I zoomed in on Snagit to get rid of those but I don't like seeing those. I guess I could just turn gridlines off, take the screenshot and then turn back on but is there another way that I don't see here? Using Office 2007.

BF, if I would have your results people would need an appointment to get an appointment with me. :)

Congratulations.

BTW, would you know on average how many trades you had per day?

Gabe

Been away from this thread for about a week. Am working a normal temporary job for a little while up until about Christmas so haven't really been trading much, although I've been checking in, and see that Brownsfan woud ave been blowing me out of the water if i had have been posting, so maybe its a good thing!! lol. Well done.

Managed 3 trades this morning. All winners. +52 pips.

Lucky to spot my setups in this small trading window before work starts soon.

Well done guys.

tlpnl.thumb.JPG.e98e34b339c9ce35ce5dbacd523d6d35.JPG

As we get close to the end of the year, I finally updated my Excel sheet to track the results on here for me.

12-13-09 Running P/L Tracker From Start of Thread

The overall result is not bad, but as you can see, I am below my target of $500/day. It seems like such an easy target to hit but to do it consistently is not so easy for me at least. There were plenty of days looking back that if I just did what I set out do, the cumulative would be quite a bit higher. You guys have gotten a sampling of this recently.

This brings up a few questions for me. What statistics about your track record are most important in determining your own future success? I was thinking that "I would love to have that track record" and then I thought "but only if the risk and drawdown amounts were exceptable for me". Before I started my submersion in trading I would have just cared most about the end P/L results but you come to find out that only certain results are sustainable for your own personality and risk tolerance.

Thanks for being so open with your 2009 results BF. You don't see that much in the individual trading world.

BF, if I would have your results people would need an appointment to get an appointment with me. :)

Congratulations.

BTW, would you know on average how many trades you had per day?

Gabe

Gabe - I didn't track the exact amount of trades per day but it's in the ballpark of 5-10 on average. Some days could be more or less, but that's a rough estimate.

This brings up a few questions for me. What statistics about your track record are most important in determining your own future success? I was thinking that "I would love to have that track record" and then I thought "but only if the risk and drawdown amounts were exceptable for me". Before I started my submersion in trading I would have just cared most about the end P/L results but you come to find out that only certain results are sustainable for your own personality and risk tolerance.

Thanks for being so open with your 2009 results BF. You don't see that much in the individual trading world.

You are right dinero - just b/c the end result looks good, it could be difficult to replicate depending on you and your risk tolerance. This is why I think it's hard to trade other's systems (assuming they make money) - what I consider a reasonable risk you might consider too risky.

For purposes here, I'm just trying to make myself a better and more profitable trader and so far, it has helped.

One note on the results as well - I know a few like what they see, but keep in mind this is a good part of the entire year and I'm below my goal of $500/day. I suppose it's all relative, but I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat over my performance for the year. Even if I continue to have a good December, I doubt I can pull up the per day average.

One note on the results as well - I know a few like what they see, but keep in mind this is a good part of the entire year and I'm below my goal of $500/day. I suppose it's all relative, but I'm not exactly jumping out of my seat over my performance for the year. Even if I continue to have a good December, I doubt I can pull up the per day average.

But Sir Brown, thats only because you have chosen to not add a Money Management plan to this.

Even with something as slow as Fixed Fractional, if we increase the position size by 1 contract every $10,000..., this equity curve would already be running into 6 figures. :thumbs up:

I understand that it wouldn't make 50-ticks-profit/day, but it would surely be well over $500/day. :cool:

But Sir Brown, thats only because you have chosen to not add a Money Management plan to this.

I've said it before myself - after controlling oneself, the real holy grail is position sizing.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Even with something as slow as Fixed Fractional, if we increase the position size by 1 contract every $10,000..., this equity curve would already be running into 6 figures. :thumbs up:

I understand that it wouldn't make 50-ticks-profit/day, but it would surely be well over $500/day. :cool:

The $500/day is PER CONTRACT being traded, regardless of how many. That's the target.

Excel question - is there another way to take a screenshot of a chart other than right in the worksheet itself and still get good quality? When I take the screenshot while in print preview, the quality drops significantly. So I just took the screenshot while in the worksheet but I hate seeing the gridlines behind the screenshot. I zoomed in on Snagit to get rid of those but I don't like seeing those. I guess I could just turn gridlines off, take the screenshot and then turn back on but is there another way that I don't see here? Using Office 2007.

Have you tried having the chart in a separate worksheet? Sounds like you have it on same sheet as your data. Easiest way (for me) to do this is to highlight the data you want to include in the chart, then down on the worksheet tabs on bottom, right click and select Insert, Chart. Hope that helps. btw, nice equity curve!!

The overall result is not bad, but as you can see, I am below my target of $500/day. It seems like such an easy target to hit but to do it consistently is not so easy for me at least. There were plenty of days looking back that if I just did what I set out do, the cumulative would be quite a bit higher.

What does this mean for your trading periods?

attachment.php?attachmentid=16600&stc=1&d=1260820474

5aa70f81db961_12-14-20093.png.b3bd70f85489a365e332d70f87b05b3b.png

Today was my last day trading the es this year.....or at least that is my plan. I am very pleased with my performance overall, this was my best year trading so far.

I will be watching the 10 year and Crude Oil the rest of the year but I am only going to trade on small size.

For 2010 I will be trading somewhat smaller size for several reasons; I want to put a large amount of my capital in a safe place-I am 30 and want it to grow at a steady rate, and possibly buy a home.

So S&P see you in 2010

attachment.php?attachmentid=16601&stc=1&d=1260821956

essss.PNG.d2207e08bef65c78cb6803b4882ec702.PNG

Edited by bathrobe

^^^ Possibly buy a house? Dude... buy a small island! I'm very impressed by the results you continue to post. Congrats on the great year and may you have an even better next year!

^^^ Possibly buy a house? Dude... buy a small island! I'm very impressed by the results you continue to post. Congrats on the great year and may you have an even better next year!

Thanks so much for the kind words, I should add to what I said that it is a very real possibility to be a pro trader if you put in the time and research all info for your style. From my stand point it is all available on the internet. I have no special skills to put me where I am now; only obsession and desire to be a trader in the early days (roughly 5 years back).

So again,

Thanks

Chris

Thanks so much for the kind words, I should add to what I said that it is a very real possibility to be a pro trader if you put in the time and research all info for your style. From my stand point it is all available on the internet. I have no special skills to put me where I am now; only obsession and desire to be a trader in the early days (roughly 5 years back).

So again,

Thanks

Chris

Congrat on your success! Just out of curiosity what are your targets like? Point-wise I mean. I'm just wondering if you're trading huge lots for a few ticks of if you're catching big moves, or somewhere in between. I apologize in advance if you've answered this question in the past...