Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Jugador

This Guys Good!!

Guest Fedup

hi jugador,

why is it when you say good things people assume automatically your selling something!..i see your screenies and great job man! good luck with transfering to live...you may hit a wall here and there but keep after it! Id like to see what your using on ninja trader as far as software, maybe we can share war stories! but good for you my man!:applaud:

hi jugador,

why is it when you say good things people assume automatically your selling something!..i see your screenies and great job man! good luck with transfering to live...you may hit a wall here and there but keep after it! Id like to see what your using on ninja trader as far as software, maybe we can share war stories! but good for you my man!:applaud:

Actually only 1 guy assumed that and they had a post count of 1. Is posting two days results on a simulator really that much of a "good thing"? Seems pretty random to me but hey what do I know? Anyway if you like that sort of thing you will love this thread http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f103/trader-p-l-2009-a-5521.html where a couple of people post there live results pretty much every day.

Btw Jugador hows it going mate? Are you still hitting it pretty consistently?

hi jugador,

why is it when you say good things people assume automatically your selling something!..Id like to see what your using on ninja trader as far as software, maybe we can share war stories! but good for you my man!:applaud:

Well, you can't really blame folks for being suspicious. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. :roll eyes: It sounds like your not sure what Ninjatrader is. It is a software. I saw a link the other day here on this site. It's free to evaluate, so check it out. :cool: Thanks for the applause! :haha:

Btw Jugador hows it going mate? Are you still hitting it pretty consistently?

Well, I shifted my attention the last few days. I've been focusing on "position sizing strategies". Here's one I kinda like... I start with 1 contract, if it's a winner, I trade 2 on the next trade. If it's a winner, I start over and go back to 1.

If the 2nd trade (2 contracts) loses, I still go back to 1. I quit if I lose 4 trades in a row. The sequence is 1,1,1,2. Basically, what I'm looking for is back-to-back winners. If I can get 1 back-to-back winner before I lose 4 in a row, I have a profit. If I lose 4 in a row, I lose $625 (minus any profits) and call it a day.

Here's a screenie from this morning. I lost the 1st trade (1 contract), and won the 2nd trade (1 contract), and won the 3rd trade (2 contracts). So, I made $235...

Still got a bunch of back testing to do! :roll eyes:

3twenty6.thumb.jpg.bdd3a8e26b3548e5f739b81fde4975f9.jpg

Edited by Jugador
Incorrect info

Well, you can't really blame folks for being suspicious. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there. :roll eyes: It sounds like your not sure what Ninjatrader is. It is a software. I saw a link the other day here on this site. It's free to evaluate, so check it out. :cool: Thanks for the applause! :haha:

Well, I shifted my attention the last few days. I've been focusing on "position sizing strategies". Here's one I kinda like... I start with 1 contract, if it's a winner, I trade 2 on the next trade. If it's a winner, I start over and go back to 1.

If the 2nd trade (2 contracts) loses, I still go back to 1. I quit if I lose 4 trades in a row. The sequence is 1,1,1,2. Basically, what I'm looking for is back-to-back winners. If I can get 1 back-to-back winner before I lose 4 in a row, I have a profit. If I lose 4 in a row, I lose $625 (minus any profits) and call it a day.

Here's a screenie from this morning. I lost the 1st trade (1 contract), and won the 2nd trade (1 contract), and won the 3rd trade (2 contracts). So, I made $235...

Still got a bunch of back testing to do! :roll eyes:

very good fib progression ( aka snowballing) From FF

Sounds like you are on the right track with looking at money management strategies. You can take something pretty marginal and show a profit with good MM. In fact that was really the heart of the original turtle system, starting small on a break out and pyramiding fairly aggressively. The signal was pretty much an x day breakout (from memory) nothing sophisticated.

Something else occurs to me.... essentially you are fading the turtle system right? You might want to look for something called 'Turtle Soup' and I think there is even a 'Turtle Soup +1'. It was a system (by Linda Bradford Raschke I believe) that does just that (fade turtles). I imagine that might be pretty interesting to you. Might be in her street smarts book which is (unusually) a book I don't have!

You can take something pretty marginal and show a profit with good MM. In fact that was really the heart of the original turtle system, starting small on a break out and pyramiding fairly aggressively. The signal was pretty much an x day breakout (from memory) nothing sophisticated.

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced MM is key. Yeah, the entry signal was just a simple breakout of the Donchian channel. On System 1, it was a 20 period, and on System 2, it was a 55 period.

Something else occurs to me.... essentially you are fading the turtle system right? You might want to look for something called 'Turtle Soup' and I think there is even a 'Turtle Soup +1'. It was a system (by Linda Bradford Raschke I believe) that does just that (fade turtles). I imagine that might be pretty interesting to you. Might be in her street smarts book which is (unusually) a book I don't have!

Right...I was fading the signals. On a typical "average range" day, you can make a bundle. It's that occasional trendy day that kills ya. :rofl: The Turtles had a strategy (it's in the pdf I gave a link to) called "The Whipsaw". Those signals are fun to fade on a choppy typical range day.

I believe the Turtle System works (even intraday) if you can stomach the drawdowns. But, I'm afraid my personality isn't very well suited to that style. :hmpf:

I'm googling Linda's "Turtle Soup", now. Thanks! :cool:

Jugador,

A few posts back you mentioned your fib serious for position sizing:

I was wondering how this has been working for you?

Jugador,

A few posts back you mentioned your fib serious for position sizing:

I was wondering how this has been working for you?

Hi...Well, as some of the guys here could have probably guessed, it didn't work so great. The problem was, a couple of losers ($625) in a row wiped out my (smaller) winners. :roll eyes:

So, I've shifted my attention back to trying to catch a trend with The Whipsaw strategy. I lost $500 yesterday and $500 today. But, I'm not gonna be tempted to fade the signals and take $500. I'm gonna stick with it until I catch a good up or down day.

And, if that don't work, I'm gonna go on Ebay and see if I can get a good crystal ball! :rofl:

Sorry to hear about that. I guess a general rule is to have your losses not be out of proportion to your wins. Unless your system is very accurate with a high win ratio. I’m working on incorporating a running into my EC scalping. I think your suggestion on the position size is a good idea. That is, when I do trade two contracts the second will act as a runner.

Jugador, I'm pretty much at the same stage you're at - just starting out. I know I'm stating the obvious here but any system will work on some days but not others. What I find myself doing is on the days when my system doesn't work (non-trending) is looking at other indicators or other time frames trying to find the holy grail that works all or most of the time. Funny because I know there's no such thing but somehow the search calls out to me. I've come to realize that although it's called day trading I must not get caught up too much on daily results and focus on the bigger picture (monthly) results. Over the course of a month does my system produce the results desired or needed. If yes, then just keep trading that system with extreme discipline and never stray from the rules. :2c:

I've heard a lot of expressions about how you feel when you know the hammer is comming down on your account, but this one is the funniest one I've heard in a long time...."Enter a newbie trading live....and it's sweaty palms....jumpy mouse finger....pounding heart....and eyes darting around like someone that dropped the soap in a prison shower.".....You hit the nail on the head!!!! Thanks for the laugh Freeflyva!!!

Actually I always though the whole point of that expression is that you have to walk the walk before you talk the talk. Seems you might have put the cart before the horse.

The figures don't look too bad having said that. I would say you are in a dangerous position right now. Firstly sim is pretty different to when money is at risk. The real big issue is that it seems like you are setting yourself up for is this:- If you win from the start when you get the inevitable drawdowns it is far far more difficult to deal with emotionally. This happened to me. I did extra ordinarily well when I first started trading I grew a small account to six figures over a few months in a statistically significant way (it wasn't luck). However some how I lost the thread and never have been able to capture the same mental state that I had in those early days.

One of the trading psychologists (maybe Elder haven't read him for years) asserts that early wins can be far more dangerous than early losses. I would have to agree.

Thanks for Sharing this. It's very true!

On the other side, early lost could also result in trauma and never want to go back trading. So watch start small is the key, don't be greedy, don't lose hope, but at the same time don't be too cocky.

Sorry to hear about that. I guess a general rule is to have your losses not be out of proportion to your wins. Unless your system is very accurate with a high win ratio. I’m working on incorporating a running into my EC scalping. I think your suggestion on the position size is a good idea. That is, when I do trade two contracts the second will act as a runner.

100% Swans - that general rule is a huge realization I think and when, as a trader, you realize that minimizing each loss is 10x more important than maximizing each gain then I think you can really turn a corner in this game!

Enter a newbie trading live....and it's sweaty palms....jumpy mouse finger....pounding heart....and eyes darting around like someone that dropped the soap in a prison shower.

. . . The market lets everyone win at the beginning. It likes to let you win until you get overconfident and trade more contracts. Then it's time for the Kleenex and the antacids as you scream yourself to sleep in the fetal position. At that point you'll truly understand the meaning of regret. That is....once the imodium kicks in. It is then....that your journey will begin.

rotlmao . . . old post but great