Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Jugador

Scale_up or Scale_down

Yeah, I hear ya. I was thinking about scaling down, but I thought there might be some experienced traders here who've "been there done that", and might have some "words of wisdom" before I embark on my trading adventure. :o BTW...thanks for the link!

Edited by Jugador

Personally, I don't like the idea of scaling up. If you get a good 5 point move, then you buy more, and then it moves against you back to where price started, then you're now losing instead of breaking even. By scaling up, you raise your average instead of lowering it (speaking in terms of going long). I don't like it.

Scaling down on the other hand, lowers your average, which makes sense, but I also think this traps people into not taking profits with a good trade. Say price goes against your position and you do buy lower. Then price gets back to your new average and you're at break even. Good advice given to me is when you're back at this break even mark, take off the position that you bought lower. Don't just say "okay I'm back to zero, so I can ride this higher with double the position." By taking off the "good trade" (i.e. the one bought at a better price), you are left with your original position, but now you didn't lose anything, even when price went against you.

Also, this depends on your market and your tolerance. I wouldn't suggest scaling down 5-6 times when trading a leveraged and volatile market like the futures markets. Really you have to assume that if you're scaling down, you made a mistake with the first position. How big of a hole would you like?

Personally, I don't like the idea of scaling up.

I'm not trying to make Boris Schlossberg look bad. I think he has some keen insights into trading, and I've read all his articles. But, I thought this was kinda funny. In the article diablo gave a link to, he says "Almost everyone who has ever traded has scaled down into a trade at least once in his or her career. This very common mistake stems from the need to be proved right. The thinking usually goes like this: if you liked the EUR/USD long at 1.2000, you'll love it even better at 1.1900 - it's a better bargain! Of course, the market eventually teaches all traders the folly of such thinking. Follow the scale down strategy long enough, and you will eventually go broke.

Then in an interview in his "Millionaire Traders" book you hear this from one of the successful traders "That to me is absolutely the key to my success. I average in on

every trade I make. Before I would get upset, but now I love it because I feel like I can get in at a better price, so I hope it dips another 10 pips. :roll eyes: