Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Jugador

Fading Dbl Tops and Dbl Bottoms

I think you'll find that double bottoms/tops (and triple bottoms/tops for that matter) work great on some days and will get slaughtered on other days.

Risk management will be key to make it work and IMO you'll want/need some other confirmation - candle patterns, indicators, confluence of S/R, etc.

Risk management will be key to make it work and IMO you'll want/need some other confirmation - candle patterns, indicators, confluence of S/R, etc.

When you say confluence, you mean like a bollinger or keltner being touched?

I think you'll find that double bottoms/tops (and triple bottoms/tops for that matter) work great on some days and will get slaughtered on other days.

Especially since most people know about these things. Anyone watching a chart is going to see it. Really you have to ask "what are traders going to do with this double top/bottom?" Much of the time, these double tops and bottoms are also pushed even further, just enough to shake/stop out someone with a good position. Look for any trouble that price has when trying to move any further above or below the double top or bottom. And of course, be ready if case you're wrong.

When you say confluence, you mean like a bollinger or keltner being touched?

There's so much you could look for... a few ideas:

Touch BB or Keltner

Market Profile areas

Other S/R areas (globex high/low, previous days high/low, etc.)

Candlestick patterns

VSA stuff

Plethora of oscillators - macd, stochastics, etc.

You get the idea.

Basically, just seeing a DB or DT by itself can be a risky setup.

Equally important is entry method, where to place stop and where to exit for profits.

As you can see, quite a bit needs to go into it.

There's so much you could look for... a few ideas:

Touch BB or Keltner

Market Profile areas

Other S/R areas (globex high/low, previous days high/low, etc.)

Candlestick patterns

VSA stuff

Plethora of oscillators - macd, stochastics, etc.

You get the idea.

Basically, just seeing a DB or DT by itself can be a risky setup.

Equally important is entry method, where to place stop and where to exit for profits.

As you can see, quite a bit needs to go into it.

Okay, thanks...that should keep me busy for awhile. :)

Anybody trade this strategy? If so, what kind of entry do you use? Anticipate or confirmation, or maybe something else?

In my opinion, the best way to trade any kind of support/resistance (i.e. tops/bottoms) is to watch the sell market orders vs. buy market orders (also known as "delta") at that point in time at the support/resistance. It makes no sense shorting a top when you see a lot of buy market orders. As someone pointed out earlier, in this case they might take the market a bit higher until everyone who shorted at the resistance pukes and then it will go back down again, but you will see this when you see the sell market orders hitting the market.

I have to admit, I haven't really spent that much time researching the significance of volume. I'm gonna have to put that on my "to do" list. Thanks

With all due respect, that's bit like saying you will get around to figuring out how to put gas in your car when you run out.

With all due respect, that's bit like saying you will get around to figuring out how to put gas in your car when you run out.

That's only if you place significance on volume. I don't have it on my charts in any capacity and don't need it.

So while important to some, others may find it useless.

;)

In the Wyckoff and VSA methods, Upthrusts for a double top and Springs for a double bottom are often excellent indications of directional movement. Volume certainly plays a part. When you see less volume on the retest of the top or bottom, it is high odds for a reversal. Even given that, you still want to see a key reversal bar, either closing on the low after attempting to go higher for an UpThrust, or closing on the high after attempting to go lower for a Spring. In both cases, prices above or below resistance and support are rejected by the market and indicate a directional move.

Here are a couple of examples:

In the first chart, you can see the market fell. Note that the last rally indicated some strength because it pushed above the Supply Line AA at 1. The market then drops below support and makes a 'double bottom,' but a Spring occurs at 2 with the Key Reversal bar. The market rallies at 2 back above support. Because volume is low at this point, it is a relatively 'safe' entry to the long side. The market then rallies 10+ points.

In the second chart, you can see an UpThrust. Here, you see an old top in the background. This is resistance. The market tried to push through this old resistence and on the third time, it fails miserably. At 1, it tries to go up, but reverses and closes on the low (second bar). This is a clear indication of lower prices, no doubt. The market then procedes to fall over 30 points in a short period of time.

UpThrusts and Springs occur freqently and can be high odds trades in the right circumstances. We talk a lot about these and other high probability setups on the VSA thread - VSA stands for Volume Spread Analysis, a useful, modern, and intuitive version of the Wyckoff Method. Check it out here: http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f151/

Hope this is helpful,

Eiger

5aa70ec250211_Spring4-09.thumb.png.21050434bf958de47dca9ef17042bb90.png

5aa70ec2565ab_UT4-09.thumb.png.a86ce06878a29d8df796a07008c6d969.png