Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Open ECry Wish List Thread

I think I've mentioned before that I write up some reviews for Open ECry about ideas for improvements on their software - charts, dom's and the main trader window.

Since there are a few other OEC users on the board, I thought I'd create an OEC Wish List thread where you can list ideas for improvements, large or small. I cannot promise that any will be implemented, but I will be sure to pass the suggestions on. I usually write up a review quarterly or so for them.

So post any ideas or suggestions here or PM me if you'd prefer to keep them private. No names will be given to OEC (unless you ask me to) with any ideas or suggestions.

And for anyone wondering why I do this, it's simple - the better and stronger that OEC trader is, the better for all of us using the product. OEC has been good to me, so I have no problem doing this for them. It's a 'scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' kind of thing.

A few things I wrote down and have questions about...

1 - internals would be nice.

2 - Some people may like to see MP. I might eventually want that option, but don't need it.

On TS I can type in @YM and get the YM contract over several years or whatever. I'm sure you can do this with OEC based from your charts, but I'm not sure how?

Are the fibonacci retracement lines customizable? For example on TS I can decide what %s I want to plot and that was convenient. If they don't offer that, then that would be something I would like to see on my wish list.

Other than that I like it so far. I like how it has it's own feel as well and the fact that it isn't nearly as CPU intensive as TS. I will use the platform more this week and come back with more questions/requests for you.

Thanks! :cheers:

A few things I wrote down and have questions about...

1 - internals would be nice.

Please detail what exactly you want to see here.

2 - Some people may like to see MP. I might eventually want that option, but don't need it.

Again, please detail. Since I do not use MP, not sure what to ask for here.

On TS I can type in @YM and get the YM contract over several years or whatever. I'm sure you can do this with OEC based from your charts, but I'm not sure how?

What you want is a continuous contract which is not yet available on OEC. It's on my list AND theirs.

Are the fibonacci retracement lines customizable? For example on TS I can decide what %s I want to plot and that was convenient. If they don't offer that, then that would be something I would like to see on my wish list.

I believe they are but will have to play around with here to see for sure.

Hi BF and James - thanks very much BF, great idea,

I have an idea/request - might be a bit "out there" and might have to be a longer-term project (although tomorrow would be good :) )

It is for a simple trading keyboard that links in with OEC software. "Buy" button, "Bid" button, "Sell"/"Offer" etc. This might be too much wishful thinking, but a dedicated, small trading keyboard, specifically linked in to the broker software is so much easier to use than a regular keyboard/mouse combination. I can post a picture of the sort of thing I would like if you think it is a good potential suggestion - again, might be a bit over the top?

I am thinking along the lines of an EBS keyboard/screen combo (used in spot FX).

Market internals: I want to see ticks, trin, trinq, ticki, put/call ratio. I want to be able to plot the trin on a graph, same with the ricks. This is my "internals screen". Note that I have the ADX up instead of the put/call but I'm getting that sorted out with TS right now, but that's where the put/call would normally be. As you can see, I have a spot for the trin, and ticks. This is helpful for me throughout the day so I can gauge market sentiment.

attachment.php?attachmentid=4821&stc=1&d=1200899285

This also brings up time and sales. I believe we talked about this already, but I would like the ability to watch time and sales like on the screen shot. The ability to watch sectors like the banking and semiconductor sector would be convenient, but not something I need and I wouldn't really notice if I didn't have it. It's basically there to fill space right now, but some may like that.

As far as MP goes, I'm really not sure what to ask for since I don't use it either. MP is something I would want to use in the future, so the only thing I can think of is to be able to view it like in all of SoulTraders videos and charts. Even the ability to import it from marketdelta.com would be nice. But like I said, since I'm still unfamiliar with it I don't know what to really ask for (or if I should even be asking, but I can't learn how to use it without seeing it in real time). I will look into this more and get back to you.

internals.thumb.jpg.234b9461486b495b84c02b52564baa4b.jpg

Hi BF and James - thanks very much BF, great idea,

I have an idea/request - might be a bit "out there" and might have to be a longer-term project (although tomorrow would be good :) )

It is for a simple trading keyboard that links in with OEC software. "Buy" button, "Bid" button, "Sell"/"Offer" etc. This might be too much wishful thinking, but a dedicated, small trading keyboard, specifically linked in to the broker software is so much easier to use than a regular keyboard/mouse combination. I can post a picture of the sort of thing I would like if you think it is a good potential suggestion - again, might be a bit over the top?

I am thinking along the lines of an EBS keyboard/screen combo (used in spot FX).

Give me some actual examples Mr. Ed. Much easier to say - here, look at this! ;)

I am not currently with Open E Cry, but I will be moving over to them in the next few weeks. It is great they have charting, but my big hang up is that they dont offer MP.

Due to this, I am going to have to get a charting package as if they did not have charting at all.

I am not currently with Open E Cry, but I will be moving over to them in the next few weeks. It is great they have charting, but my big hang up is that they dont offer MP.

Due to this, I am going to have to get a charting package as if they did not have charting at all.

Again - I need specifics. Just saying "MP" does not mean anything to OEC and people like me that do not use MP. I need SPECIFICS.

BF - here are some examples. The EBS screen/keyboard is used in the interbank FX market, it is a dedicated dealing system hence a the keyboard and screen are stand-alone units, working together.

The first screenshot is of the screen

The second screenshot is a zoom of two of the price panels on the screen with some explanation

The third screenshot is the keyboard

All the screenshots are from the EBS website and hence a lot of the annotations are theirs, but I have added my annotations to (theirs are the professional-looking annotations!).

The fourth screenshot (on next post) is a suggestion for the basics that would probably need to be on an OEC screen - it is similar to their current DOM trading screen, with a couple of differences, biggest being the DOM does not scroll, the best price remains fixed in the centre at all times. (This could be a starting point for suggestions to them for improvement).

5aa70e3500099_1.EBSscreen.png.6284033d2c604b8a0cf6e2f52243423f.png

5aa70e3508951_2.panelexplanation.png.425d8bc16f6084ee9ab73daeab7a6fc7.png

5aa70e350ea49_4.keypad.png.baeb7c240156e556b6914ff82ad3a439.png

Fourth screenshot (explanation in my prior post)

I already know that a 'static' dom is not available in futures due to patent infringements with another well-known product. I've asked for a static dom numerous times but OEC's stand is to have a somewhat static dom to avoid patent infringements. In order to have a static dom, an additional cost would have to be passed on to the customer.

I already know that a 'static' dom is not available in futures due to patent infringements with another well-known product. I've asked for a static dom numerous times but OEC's stand is to have a somewhat static dom to avoid patent infringements. In order to have a static dom, an additional cost would have to be passed on to the customer.

Thanks BF - that was going to be my 'easy' request - we are obviously thinking along the same lines, I find that moving DOM very frustrating indeed...be good to get an indication of what the extra cost would be, could be worth it?

Thanks BF - that was going to be my 'easy' request - we are obviously thinking along the same lines, I find that moving DOM very frustrating indeed...be good to get an indication of what the extra cost would be, could be worth it?

Honestly, I don't think OEC even wants to go there. I'll ask again to see if they would consider allowing the customer to decide for the extra cost. I know I'd pay it for a reasonable fee. If I recall (all from memory) it would be an added cost, per round trip, per contract - example: an extra 10 cents round trip, per contract. Doesn't sound like a lot when broken down to pennies, but it can add up quickly.

added cost, per round trip, per contract - example: an extra 10 cents round trip, per contract. Doesn't sound like a lot when broken down to pennies, but it can add up quickly.

True ... but then again I pay for a bottle of Fly Spray cause I am not adept at swatting them...:haha:

BF - while you say that a static DOM is probably not a go - what are your thoughts on the chances of getting one-line static DOM, just the best bid and offer that change without scrolling - see attachment.

5aa70e35d673f_NoDOMjustbestprices.png.0af90fd69b8c1241d8ec645c24984f5b.png

BF - while you say that a static DOM is probably not a go - what are your thoughts on the chances of getting one-line static DOM, just the best bid and offer that change without scrolling - see attachment.

Good idea Mr Ed, will put it in my review! This might be a way around the patent thing.

The only issue will be for traders that use limit and/or stop orders... For example, if you want to place a limit order to buy 5 ticks below current price, how could you do that? Or place a stop order once filled? Or a buy/sell stop to enter an order?

What do you think?

Good idea Mr Ed, will put it in my review! This might be a way around the patent thing.

The only issue will be for traders that use limit and/or stop orders... For example, if you want to place a limit order to buy 5 ticks below current price, how could you do that? Or place a stop order once filled? Or a buy/sell stop to enter an order?

What do you think?

OK - will have a think about those and be back.

Hey BF:

I am test driving OEC and overall like what I see. But it's still surprising that some basic infrastructure systems are not in place.

How about an ACH setup for account funding transactions? After all, primary functions of a trading account are to put money in or take money out. It is not a convenient thing for me to head down to a bank during banking hours (also RTH). The $25 wire fee is a miniscule but annoying bit as well. I may not visit my mailing address for months at a time, so checks are also not convenient.

I'll make this suggestion directly to OEC. The inclusion of this request in your review would be apprepriated,

Thank you,

Bam-Bam

mostly wishful thinking, I had a chance to talk to the 'top' guy asking him for displaying of volume in 2 just 2 colors, he said thanked for suggestion that is what he looked for in feed back. Guess what? that was about 2 months ago and don't even think about sending in any suggestion, it is like a bottomless pit, I never get any reply for any suggestion.

mostly wishful thinking, I had a chance to talk to the 'top' guy asking him for displaying of volume in 2 just 2 colors, he said thanked for suggestion that is what he looked for in feed back. Guess what? that was about 2 months ago and don't even think about sending in any suggestion, it is like a bottomless pit, I never get any reply for any suggestion.

Just b/c your ONE suggestion was not immediately implemented does not mean OEC does not listen. A new update was installed today and a few things I have provided to them have been implemented. So far, I have seen:

1) Snap mode on lines

2) Text on lines (custom and value display)

3) Weekly pivots

4) Monthly pivots

That's what I saw just glancing through the update that came through today.

So, yes, OEC does in fact listen. Perhaps your request was the ONLY one asking for this; therefore, the level of importance is one customer. If other customers are requesting features, majority will win most of the time.

There are people that have successfully challenged TT (e.g. E-SPeed) . Personally I think how they tried to strong arm the industry was shabby in the extreme. For smaller guys its easier just to roll over I guess. Seems clear to me that it is patent misuse (though as things stand this has not been ruled).

Edited by BlowFish

There are people that have successfully challenged TT (e.g. E-SPeed) . Personally I think how they tried to strong arm the industry was shabby in the extreme. For smaller guys its easier just to roll over I guess. Seems clear to me that it is patent misuse (though as things stand this has not been ruled).

I agree BF. Currently OEC offers a 'delayed' static dom where the dom does stay centered but only recenters every few seconds vs. constantly static. I guess that's there way of getting around this issue.