Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Eric Johnson

Technical Indicator Tools

Screen shot of my freedom train (% trend) tool is attached. It looks complex because it combines many systems for long term swing trading, and short term sensitive tools. Also I have included a version of the TTM bollinger squeeze. The lower paint bars are a price reversal indicator system. There are simpler templates available in the download, and indicators can be selectively hidden. If opened in paint, the chart can be magnified. The system is done on the quotetracker platform (QT), a free download, but the indicators can be combined on any technical platform that is of quality. My guidance will be limited. This is the product of hundreds of hours of fine tuning and study. I was successful using these tools. I share this in hopes that others can make good use, in these times.

In brief, the application is that of showing paint bars on the lower indicators when price reversal points are reached. Also there are signals given at 50% of trend points. I used this MSFT example because it was a new company and you can see how it works on a fresh progression, with few previous support and resistances. There is also the trade the markets TTM system built in. These tools work well on minute bars, as well as 3, or 7 day bars to get longer term perspective. To see the usefulness of this package it needs to be run on Quote tracker (quotetracker.com), best with the registered version, but MSFT has free backfill. Also take note of the original symbols upon download, they usually backfill without quotes. The attachment called "quotetracker backup install" is a complete package of my tools. Install it as a "restore backup" file. Remember to select "from a file" option, and browse for my program that was downloaded.

MSFT is a bit sloppy though. The tools are good for futures also, there are many other templates included that include ultra fast oscillators for indices. Also the paintbar selection is extensive. For the specific indicators and paintbar settings, right click on the QT chart and use select indicators option. Also you an select other tool combo templates that I have made from the chart right click menu. There is even the New TTM slingshot tools on there.

A few useful shortcuts for QT. Control E is to select new template. The + or - are to zoom. To zoom specifically use control and left click drag. To set fibinoccci click and drag line, then right click on the line for menu. In the settings options you can set the numbers displayed.

I begin with chart, the #1 junction of the drawn in white lines (offset slightly). It shows the price where the lower paint bars signal the 50% of the minor up trend (fibonacci on the right). The measurement is precisely when the large # of red paints are first shown and where it intersects market price above. So to predict any momentum tops extrapolate. I do not use fast price jumps that trips the indicators as a valid signal. A momentum top is where the force of the up trend is technically broken. True or chop tops are where the true price top occurs, due to exhaustion bars, or follow through volatility. They are most common after a long strong trend. Many times they occur at the same place as the momentum top and a weaker trend or oscillating market. Momentum tops usually are shown with many paint bars. The chop tops are usually shown with few paints. For example junction # 2 shows the 50% of the large trend (fibs on far left). Junction #3 is a momentum top, and November of 1992 shows a chop or true top.

Number 2 point is the common place where I see accurate 50% larger trend signals.On the breakout of a retrace. The amazing thing about the system is that it will often pick up 50% even if there is no retracement in price. You will notice the indicators are selective and fairly precise. There other tool templates to use to help determine what the nature of the paints are in real time. Mostly you get the hang of it by viewing many charts. Also how to set up your trading objectives and time periods, is up to you. I have many systems, but that is too extensive to explain. Continue on and you will get some ideas.

Number 4 is a line that is offset to show the 50% of the minor trend from July to January 1992. September 1989 shows the green paints for a bottom. If you increase the bars to 3 or 7 day (or minutes for day trading) it will only show the major trend paints. Also when you zoom in on QT the graphics are much more useful.

Number 5 is a long term trend indicator. #6 is a shorter term trend indicator. When they are colored the trend is up, when off, down.

Number 7 is the Trade the Markets (TTM) Bollinger Band squeeze indicator. See TradeTheMarkets for some free videos and explanation. The arrows below are band breakouts, for extreme trending. The olive and maroon are short term trend indicators.

Number 8 is a few trial squeeze indicators I was trying.

Number 9 is the TTM momentum indicator to see what direction the squeeze fires and if the trend has momentum.

Number 10 is the CCI, it often paints early, and can be used for small price channel trading. It often picks up short term 50% also.

Number 11 is a RSI 7,4 this one needs to be examined, if it is to be used on other platforms accurately. It is very useful. When the indicator line crosses the dotted margins, the price is usually at a market derision point, on the short term. Often times margin crossover also signifies a short term 50%. When the line is above or below the margin, strong trending in price is in effect.

Number 12 and 13 are standard RSI 14,1 and MFI 14,1 . I use them to check the technical shape of reversals. If they both show a rounded top or bottom, then the price reversal follow through will be powerful. If they differ, then a weak price follow through reversal. For example In the mid January 1991 the top shows rounded RSI and MFI tops. The follow through was enough to pause an up trend for one month or more.

Number 14 is a combo of short term paint bars that are very sensitive. These are used in combo with #16 for short term trend trader alerts(TTM). The arrows and white boxes near price are also useful for short term trend exits. They just show when to consider exiting a trade. They are much prettier when zoomed in. #15 is volume with EMA.

So this is a brief and incomplete introduction, if people have interest and/or run the program, I will answer specifics. I will also have see how the attachments work for this forum, I had to zip the chart graphic due to size. Anyhow, freely shared for the gain of those who can make use.

quotetracker backup install.zip

5aa70ea412014_freedomtrain.jpg.5d93802c8631c84498f65a4ba94c9acf.jpg

Edited by Soultrader

does the BB Squeeze work on Esignal? i loaded the code and all i get is a line 12 syntaxerror missing: before statement: NormalColor (Red) , AlertCol or(Blue) ,

any advice on how to fix this?

jim

Edit/Delete Message

I don't think the codes are transferrable. I think the esignal quote feed will supply quotetracker though. Six months of backfill will be available unless QT is registered for 7$ a month. Two days minute bars unregistered.

I have also posted a polished download attachment. I added a zero line CCI and RSI 7,4 highlight after reading some of Walters work. Also I put in the RSI 14,1 paints, it makes it look better.

I know QT is new for many, but it has many nice tools including overlaying transparency charts, advanced paintbar programming, overlapping indicator displays, and is compatible with some trade platforms. Also for scans you can select multiple layouts and templates with indicator alerts. There is the ability to copy and paste many symbols into the chart list by right clicking on the symbol menu.

quotetracker backup install 2.zip

Edited by Soultrader

There are templates that hide most of the lower indicators and just show the paints. Some indicators are confirmation, when you have all day to consider a position, wild markets, and money on the line, confirmation perspective is useful. To combine short term trading tools with long term context, takes some tools. When looking at years of data on one screen makes the indicators look dense, when zoomed in, it is not so busy.

Having the right strategy and tool for fast changing market conditions allows for capturing the best moves. Trading should look simple, but the consideration and timing behind it usually complex. Tools for me are accessories, not distractions.

Also for development, to view combinations of indicators, often reveals conditional setups and filtering. So with a menu, use what you like, hide the rest. When you have nice tools, someday you will want the next stage of development.

eric,

i think you sent this email to the wrong person? i think you meant ephi144...

i think your indicators are great wish i could use them... i sue esignal and all your codes are for TS...

jim

Quote tracker short cuts

Here is a list of Quotetracker shortcuts. I would say that the only thing that I consider a bit under par for the QT program in general is limited (20 day max) backfill for minute/tick bars.

+ or - for chart zoom

control and left click drag= zoom to dates

control E = select template

double click on lower indicators= indicator menu

right click on drawn chart line (minute/tick chart trend line alerts only)= shapes and fibonacci menu

right click on symbol list= insert /editing

control 1,2,3,4= bar time changes 1min 5min etc...

control H = open historical chart after selecting symbol on (radar) list

right click on chart for large menu

type on chart to change symbol

you can cut and past into symbol list by right clicking on it and inserting new symbol/ you can install many at a time, if you control select copy off a scan list, as long as they paste in with a space in between symbols

A further comment about QT is that you should make a backup file of your old QT work outside the QT program file area to save your work. It is a bit tricky to integrate competing backup files, and my download will overwrite old work, if you "select all" during restore process. You will still have temp. backup's of your work in the QT program files backup folder.

I thought that a few would just download QT and do the install to check out the many templates and indicator combos. Then take what they want for their favorite platform. There are some nice demo's of the QT automated stop systems, pivot point combos for intraday, and so many nice tools.

There is a nice upper chart paint bar tool shown in the coding forum under "Quotetracker TTM Value charts paintbar" , I posted a cut and paste version there, compiling the other programmers work. You need some basic paintbarring skills to set this up and use it.

Hi, here is an updated template for Quote Tracker, it has added new screens for short term oscillators, with paints. Also there are many new day trading additions. Actually the shown screen shot is not too special, just an example of how the older system looks with the oscillators hidden. The paints are long or short term, either pointing out momentum tops, price tops or 50% into a trend progression. After a squeeze (or tiny oscillating channel) you may get a powerful paint, that generally is not a reversal signal.

A reminder, before installing this to try, back up your own templates.

The key for me using oscillators is knowing the environment. During sideways oscillation, a short term oscillator paint, is enough to be a reversal, like a CCI paint. During trending, look for longer term oscillator confirmation. After a squeeze, expect early paints to not be reversal points. Then use 50% marker doubling to start looking for reversal tops.

For now there is a free daily backfill from an Australian company. QT has started charging to use live feeds with it's platform. Also it is hard to get backfill for forex, so I have done a redesigned system for meta trader, but I miss the paint bars and alerts. MB trading still offers forex quotes with account.

So a compilation of many hours of work, hope somebody can make some use of it.

Oct update forum.zip

5aa70f443aba8_qtupdategif.thumb.gif.f8ce08e7d7801e73cb208a14fb8b14c6.gif

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• also ... and barely on topic... Winners (always*) overpay. Buying the dips is a subscription to the belief that winners win by underpaying - when in actuality winners (inevitably/always*) win by overpaying... it’s amazing the percentage of traders who think winners win by underpaying ... “Winners (always*) overpay.” ...  One way to implement this ‘belief’ is to only reenter when prices have emphatically resumed the 'trend' .   (Fwiw, While “Winners (always*) overpay.” holds true in most endeavors (relationships, business, sports, etc...) - “Winners (always*) overpay.”  is especially true for auctions... continuous auctions included.)
    • re:  "Does it make sense to always buy the dips?  “Buy the dip.”  You hear this all the time in crypto investing trading speculation gambling. [zdo taking some liberties] It refers, of course, to buying more bitcoin (or digital assets) when they go down in price: when the price “dips.” Some people brag about “buying the dip," showing they know better than the crowd. Others “buy the dip” as an investment strategy: they’re getting a bargain. The problem is, buying the dip is a fallacy. You can’t buy the dip, because you can't see the total dip until much later. First, I’ll explain this in a way that will make it simple and obvious to you; then I’ll show you a better way of investing. You Only Know the Dip in Hindsight When people talk about “buying the dip,” what they’re really saying is, “I bought when the price was going down.” " ... example of a dip ... 
    • Date: 19th April 2024. Weekly Commodity Market Update: Oil Prices Correct and Supply Concerns Persist.   The ongoing developments in the Middle East sparked a wave of risk aversion and fueled supply concerns and investors headed for safety. Hopes for imminent rate cuts from the Federal Reserve diminish while attention is now turning towards the demand outlook. The Gold price hit a high of $2417.89 per ounce overnight. Sentiment has already calmed down again and bullion is trading at $2376.50 per ounce as haven flows ease. Oil prices initially moved higher as concern over escalating tensions with the WTI contract hit a session high of $85.508 per barrel overnight, before correcting to currently $81.45 per barrel. Oil Prices Under Pressure Amid Middle East Tensions Last week, commodity indexes showed little movement, with Oil prices undergoing a slight correction. Meanwhile, Gold reached yet another record high, mirroring the upward trend in cocoa prices. Once again today, USOil prices experienced a correction and has remained under pressure, retesting the 50-day EMA at $81.00 as we moving into the weekend. Hence, despite the Israel’s retaliatory strike on Iran, sentiments stabilized following reports suggesting a measured response aimed at avoiding further escalation. Brent crude futures witnessed a more than 4% leap, driven by concerns over potential disruptions to oil supplies in the Middle East, only to subsequently erase all gains. Similarly with USOIL, UKOIL hovers just below $87 per barrel, marginally below Thursday’s closing figures. Nevertheless, volatility is expected to continue in the market as several potential risks loom:   Disruption to the Strait of Hormuz: The possibility of Iran disrupting navigation through the vital shipping lane, is still in play. The Strait of Hormuz serves as the Persian Gulf’s primary route to international waters, with approximately 21 million barrels of oil passing through daily. Recent events, including Iran’s seizure of an Israel-linked container ship, underscore the geopolitical sensitivity of the region. Tougher Sanctions on Iran: Analysts speculate that the US may impose stricter sanctions on Iranian oil exports or intensify enforcement of existing restrictions. With global oil consumption reaching 102 million barrels per day, Iran’s production of 3.3 million barrels remains significant. Recent actions targeting Venezuelan oil highlight the potential for increased pressure on Iranian exports. OPEC Output Increases: Despite the desire for higher prices, OPEC members such as Saudi Arabia and Russia have constrained output in recent years. However, sustained crude prices above $100 per barrel could prompt concerns about demand and incentivize increased production. The OPEC may opt to boost oil output should tensions escalate further and prices surge. Ukraine Conflict: Amidst the focus on the Middle East, markets overlooking Russia’s actions in Ukraine. Potential retaliatory strikes by Kyiv on Russian oil infrastructure could impact exports, adding further complexity to global oil markets.   Technical Analysis USOIL is marking one of the steepest weekly declines witnessed this year after a brief period of consolidation. The breach below the pivotal support level of 84.00, coupled with the descent below the mid of the 4-month upchannel, signals a possible shift in market sentiment towards a bearish trend reversal. Adding to the bearish outlook are indications such as the downward slope in the RSI. However, the asset still hold above the 50-day EMA which coincides also with the mid of last year’s downleg, with key support zone at $80.00-$81.00. If it breaks this support zone, the focus may shift towards the 200-day EMA and 38.2% Fib. level at $77.60-$79.00. Conversely, a rejection of the $81 level and an upside potential could see the price returning back to $84.00. A break of the latter could trigger the attention back to the December’s resistance, situated around $86.60. A breakthrough above this level could ignite a stronger rally towards the $89.20-$90.00 zone. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past perfrmance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.