Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

rsagi

NinjaTrader Stop Loss Bug - You May Looose $$$$

Hi All,

I'm using NinjaTrader 6.5.10008 (latest)

and I'm doing trade management using two target points and trailing the second target while using a stop loss that comes to break even+1 tick.

I ran into two issues today @ the FOMC day trading the ES:

1. I scalped the first few times in the heavy spikes of 2:22pm after the FOMC announcement and all was good (made money) - then a few times my target was hit (you hear the women voice ":target hit) so automatically I'm @ breakeven+1 tick - but then suddenly I see I lost $$$ !!! (this doesn't make sense - I went from +$720 to $120 and then -$120 -this problem occurred several times.

2. After the target was hit - there were some open orders - but I couldn't cancel them - so I figured they weren't active and disconnected from broker and connected again - and the problem was solved.

Needless to say I am angry with this problem - any1 else experience same thing?

:angry:

Maybe you got slippage on the stop? Price can jump a bit round fomc. Don't stops need to be sent as stop limit to reside locally on Globex? Can't remember off the top of my head but I think that's correct.

Hi Blowfish,

Well, I thought the do reside on the exchange - thats the whole idea of the stop isn't it... :)

If that is the case (slippage) that cannot be protected then I'll never trade FOMC days again.

Thanks fort he reply.

Steve

price needs to trade through your target not just to it i had the same issue when i first started using auto break even so have it move to BE at 7 ticks instead of 2 pts or what ever your number. also you will get slippage during FOMC days if your not prepared for that better to sit those days out.

Hi Blowfish,

Well, I thought the do reside on the exchange - thats the whole idea of the stop isn't it... :)

If that is the case (slippage) that cannot be protected then I'll never trade FOMC days again.

Thanks fort he reply.

Steve

No, it varies exchange to exchange you need to check with your broker to be sure. From memory and unless its changed a stop will be held at your brokers or client platform, not on Globex. Eurex is the other way round. Over time exchanges are adding more order types but it used to be quite sobering to see how few are handled natively.

You would probably be surprised to find some exchanges don't even support market orders, they are converted to limit orders with wide limits :).

Believe what you please but I would check personally :)

Edit: OK I checked for you (senility makes you question yourself sometimes) Globex does not support stops or market orders nativey, so there you go. (guess I should have trusted my memory)

Edited by BlowFish

No, it varies exchange to exchange you need to check with your broker to be sure. From memory and unless its changed a stop will be held at your brokers or client platform, not on Globex. Eurex is the other way round. Over time exchanges are adding more order types but it used to be quite sobering to see how few are handled natively.

You would probably be surprised to find some exchanges don't even support market orders, they are converted to limit orders with wide limits :).

Believe what you please but I would check personally :)

Edit: OK I checked for you (senility makes you question yourself sometimes) Globex does not support stops or market orders nativey, so there you go. (guess I should have trusted my memory)

Globex supports "Stops with protection" & "Market orders with protection"

Stop orders at CME Group are implemented using a “Stop with Protection” approach. Unlike a conventional Stop order, where customers

are at risk of having their orders filled at extreme prices, Stop with Protection orders are filled within a predefined range of prices (the protected range). A Stop with Protection order is triggered when the designated price is traded on the market. The order then enters the order book as a Limit order with the limit price equal to the trigger price, plus or minus the predefined protected range.

Market orders at CME Group are implemented using a “Market with Protection” approach. Unlike a conventional Market order, where customers are at risk of having their orders filled at extreme prices, Market with Protection orders are filled within a predefined range of prices (the protected range)

http://www.cmegroup.com/globex/files/GlobexRefGd.pdf

If you are using an ATM strategy in Ninja Trader it sets a Stop Limit order as folows: it places the stop side of the order at the price you asked for-in this case breakeven+1...it places the limit side of the order 20 ticks away in this case breakeven-19. This essentially makes this a market order that can be filled anywhere from your price to your price minus 20 ticks. In a fast moving market this can be disastrous, as you found out.

I have complained about this major flaw in NT for sometime and Ray has posted(in another forum) that this will be corrected in NT7. (it is important to remember that is the way NT handles ATM generated Stop/Limit orders on Globex, as some other exchanges do not allow Stop/Limit orders at all)

This only applies to a Stop/Limit generated by an ATM strategy, if you manually enter a Stop/Limit order you can select the offset you want in the preference window on the DOM.

There are only really two options use a stop with no limit (or a wide limit on exchanges that don't natively support stop market) Then you risk slippage. Or use a stop with equal or tight limit and risk not being filled at all. Most people would prefer to be filled when there stops are hit unless perhaps stopping in to a position. There is no other way sadly. Knowing how your broker and the exchange handles various order types where they reside how they are elected etc. is pretty crucial imho.

Ive been trading the ninja platform for a year using amp, I use stop market orders and have rarlely gotten any slippage occasionally i got a couple ticks. The biggest problems ive heard of from peolpe is usually that they get stoppped when placing orders if they're using a tight stop when theres a spike in activity and the screen freezes do to insufficiant computer.

If you are using an ATM strategy in Ninja Trader it sets a Stop Limit order as folows: it places the stop side of the order at the price you asked for-in this case breakeven+1...it places the limit side of the order 20 ticks away in this case breakeven-19. This essentially makes this a market order that can be filled anywhere from your price to your price minus 20 ticks. In a fast moving market this can be disastrous, as you found out.

I have complained about this major flaw in NT for sometime and Ray has posted(in another forum) that this will be corrected in NT7. (it is important to remember that is the way NT handles ATM generated Stop/Limit orders on Globex, as some other exchanges do not allow Stop/Limit orders at all)

This only applies to a Stop/Limit generated by an ATM strategy, if you manually enter a Stop/Limit order you can select the offset you want in the preference window on the DOM.

Not only hasn't this bug been fixed, The other forum banned me and deleted the threads regarding this issue.

Not only hasn't this bug been fixed, The other forum banned me and deleted the threads regarding this issue.

Thanks BeyondMP for enlightening us on this issue. I have been testing several such ATM strategies on NT with stop limit orders using various futures (crude, yen, euro, etc) to be executed at fast moving news times. They have worked out pretty well on SIM. I gather I shouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to live trading though, correct?

Thanks BeyondMP for enlightening us on this issue. I have been testing several such ATM strategies on NT with stop limit orders using various futures (crude, yen, euro, etc) to be executed at fast moving news times. They have worked out pretty well on SIM. I gather I shouldn't get my hopes up when it comes to live trading though, correct?

This major flaw imposes a mandatory 20 tick offset for all Stop Limit orders submitted thru an ATM. Consequently, if your profit target is less than 20 ticks away from entry, it is possible for a winner to turn into a loser in highly volatile and thinly traded market.

This flaw has the effect of turning those Stop Limit orders into market orders. In normal trading this can cause the trader to lose a tick or two on a very regular basis. This creates a "hidden" cost for using NT that can be many times the monthly fees.

This major flaw imposes a mandatory 20 tick offset for all Stop Limit orders submitted thru an ATM. Consequently, if your profit target is less than 20 ticks away from entry, it is possible for a winner to turn into a loser in highly volatile and thinly traded market.

This flaw has the effect of turning those Stop Limit orders into market orders. In normal trading this can cause the trader to lose a tick or two on a very regular basis. This creates a "hidden" cost for using NT that can be many times the monthly fees.

Might there be a difference between data feeds, eg zen-fire vs some other feed when it comes to this issue? Also, what futures platform have you found that is superior in getting fills? (You mentioned something on another forum).

Might there be a difference between data feeds, eg zen-fire vs some other feed when it comes to this issue? Also, what futures platform have you found that is superior in getting fills? (You mentioned something on another forum).

This flaw is built in NT, it occurs regardless of data feed. Please understand, NT might be fine for some. If precise Stop Limit orders aren't important to you than NT might be ok. If precision is important than you will have to check with your broker, to find, which platform has the features you need.

As for me, I'll probably be switching to Sierra Charts when they can interface with my broker(which has an ETA of the end of the month).

I would not have even started this information campaign if Ray(the #1 guy at NT) hadn't lead me to believe this flaw would be fixed in NT7. I kept using NT for the past

1 1/2 years to show my support for his willingness to fix the flaw.

Thats boggling. Are you sure it is not up to 20 ticks (a 20 tick cap)? Most people would want to set the stop and limit at the same price I would guess (zero offset).

One has to ask why Ninja is using synthetic orders (simulating them on the client)? They should be submitted to the brokers system (or exchange if a native order) and modified if necessary. (certainly for stops and exits, some people might want the option to hold entry orders on the client so infrastructure problems mean unmanaged orders aren't left at thr broker/exchange). Reported all that in the beta of version 1 let alone 7!

Thats boggling. Are you sure it is not up to 20 ticks (a 20 tick cap)? Most people would want to set the stop and limit at the same price I would guess (zero offset).

I'm absolutely sure. as a matter of fact NT tries to explain this limitation(flaw) as a benefit to the trader. I suppose it is to some...but, they fail to explain the added it costs it can impose to the trader's profitability.

I'm absolutely sure. as a matter of fact NT tries to explain this limitation(flaw) as a benefit to the trader. I suppose it is to some...but, they fail to explain the added it costs it can impose to the trader's profitability.

Wow so more like a Market if Touched order than a stop limit. Couple that with it being held on the client (presumably?) is a recipe for slippage.

One of the major reasons traders use a trading platform like NT is it's ability to place bracket orders and to automate multi-step strategies. It is when using these strategies, the flaw comes into play.

Using the ES, which has a tick value of $12.50; a 20 tick stop equals $250. The problem comes into play on profit targets. These are sent out as Stop Limit orders. Because, the Stop side of the order is a mandatory 20 ticks away from the Limit side of the order....when the markets hits the Limit price, the 20 tick offset has the effect of turning the Limit order into a market order. This causes the Limit order to be filled at the best price available (within those 20 ticks).

This can cause a loss of a tick or two on a regular basis....Or, an extra $12.50-25.00 per contract traded. This can add substantially to the effective cost of using NT.

To be fair, you can change this offset after the order is submitted, but this is cumbersome and easy to forget to do in the "heat of trading." Remember, the reason you are paying NT is to automate these functions and make trading less stressful and reduce the steps of placing multiple orders.

You can take the position that slippage is inevitable. And, this is exactly the justification NT states...however, I know from my experience-and the way I trade- the market will come back and fill me at my Limit price, thus, achieving my full profit target.

There are traders that are happy to get filled at the "best price" but there others that trade with a greater precision and want the option to determine their own trading fate.

beyondMP,

Are you sure you are not thinking about a stop market with protection? What you are saying does not make sense. An order sent out as a stop limit is a stop limit.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• also ... and barely on topic... Winners (always*) overpay. Buying the dips is a subscription to the belief that winners win by underpaying - when in actuality winners (inevitably/always*) win by overpaying... it’s amazing the percentage of traders who think winners win by underpaying ... “Winners (always*) overpay.” ...  One way to implement this ‘belief’ is to only reenter when prices have emphatically resumed the 'trend' .   (Fwiw, While “Winners (always*) overpay.” holds true in most endeavors (relationships, business, sports, etc...) - “Winners (always*) overpay.”  is especially true for auctions... continuous auctions included.)
    • re:  "Does it make sense to always buy the dips?  “Buy the dip.”  You hear this all the time in crypto investing trading speculation gambling. [zdo taking some liberties] It refers, of course, to buying more bitcoin (or digital assets) when they go down in price: when the price “dips.” Some people brag about “buying the dip," showing they know better than the crowd. Others “buy the dip” as an investment strategy: they’re getting a bargain. The problem is, buying the dip is a fallacy. You can’t buy the dip, because you can't see the total dip until much later. First, I’ll explain this in a way that will make it simple and obvious to you; then I’ll show you a better way of investing. You Only Know the Dip in Hindsight When people talk about “buying the dip,” what they’re really saying is, “I bought when the price was going down.” " ... example of a dip ... 
    • Date: 19th April 2024. Weekly Commodity Market Update: Oil Prices Correct and Supply Concerns Persist.   The ongoing developments in the Middle East sparked a wave of risk aversion and fueled supply concerns and investors headed for safety. Hopes for imminent rate cuts from the Federal Reserve diminish while attention is now turning towards the demand outlook. The Gold price hit a high of $2417.89 per ounce overnight. Sentiment has already calmed down again and bullion is trading at $2376.50 per ounce as haven flows ease. Oil prices initially moved higher as concern over escalating tensions with the WTI contract hit a session high of $85.508 per barrel overnight, before correcting to currently $81.45 per barrel. Oil Prices Under Pressure Amid Middle East Tensions Last week, commodity indexes showed little movement, with Oil prices undergoing a slight correction. Meanwhile, Gold reached yet another record high, mirroring the upward trend in cocoa prices. Once again today, USOil prices experienced a correction and has remained under pressure, retesting the 50-day EMA at $81.00 as we moving into the weekend. Hence, despite the Israel’s retaliatory strike on Iran, sentiments stabilized following reports suggesting a measured response aimed at avoiding further escalation. Brent crude futures witnessed a more than 4% leap, driven by concerns over potential disruptions to oil supplies in the Middle East, only to subsequently erase all gains. Similarly with USOIL, UKOIL hovers just below $87 per barrel, marginally below Thursday’s closing figures. Nevertheless, volatility is expected to continue in the market as several potential risks loom:   Disruption to the Strait of Hormuz: The possibility of Iran disrupting navigation through the vital shipping lane, is still in play. The Strait of Hormuz serves as the Persian Gulf’s primary route to international waters, with approximately 21 million barrels of oil passing through daily. Recent events, including Iran’s seizure of an Israel-linked container ship, underscore the geopolitical sensitivity of the region. Tougher Sanctions on Iran: Analysts speculate that the US may impose stricter sanctions on Iranian oil exports or intensify enforcement of existing restrictions. With global oil consumption reaching 102 million barrels per day, Iran’s production of 3.3 million barrels remains significant. Recent actions targeting Venezuelan oil highlight the potential for increased pressure on Iranian exports. OPEC Output Increases: Despite the desire for higher prices, OPEC members such as Saudi Arabia and Russia have constrained output in recent years. However, sustained crude prices above $100 per barrel could prompt concerns about demand and incentivize increased production. The OPEC may opt to boost oil output should tensions escalate further and prices surge. Ukraine Conflict: Amidst the focus on the Middle East, markets overlooking Russia’s actions in Ukraine. Potential retaliatory strikes by Kyiv on Russian oil infrastructure could impact exports, adding further complexity to global oil markets.   Technical Analysis USOIL is marking one of the steepest weekly declines witnessed this year after a brief period of consolidation. The breach below the pivotal support level of 84.00, coupled with the descent below the mid of the 4-month upchannel, signals a possible shift in market sentiment towards a bearish trend reversal. Adding to the bearish outlook are indications such as the downward slope in the RSI. However, the asset still hold above the 50-day EMA which coincides also with the mid of last year’s downleg, with key support zone at $80.00-$81.00. If it breaks this support zone, the focus may shift towards the 200-day EMA and 38.2% Fib. level at $77.60-$79.00. Conversely, a rejection of the $81 level and an upside potential could see the price returning back to $84.00. A break of the latter could trigger the attention back to the December’s resistance, situated around $86.60. A breakthrough above this level could ignite a stronger rally towards the $89.20-$90.00 zone. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past perfrmance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.