Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

I didn't take that retracement at 0933 for two reasons:

1- We are to close to the Resistance line at 2564.

But you have no way of knowing in RT whether R is going to be a problem or not. What if price were to sail right through it? You'd just be watching, making no money. At worst, you'd be out at BE. At best, maybe a couple of points. But at least you'd be engaging the market. And following your plan.

2- I didn't think the RET would allow for a small enough Stop.

Since you pegged R at 55, correctly, there's no reason why you can't put your stop there. This is much different from taking a RET that occurs after an extended run and putting your stop under the RET rather than under the turning point (2). It will almost surely be hit.

Instead I took the short at 0939 for the following:

1- Climactic volume at 0937 followed by a lower high and a dry-up in volume

2- I had anticipated ressitance at 2564 and was biased towards the short-side from the start the day.

And all of that is fine. Except for the bias part. Lose that. But none of that has anything to do with taking the long in the first place. You would have served yourself better by thinking how you would take the short if you were in the long at the time. That takes a bit more agility, though not much.

I considered entry #2 but was still thinking of the short...

Again, the past is past. You can't trade the past. Thinking about the past while you're assessing the situation or, worse, in a trade, will immobilize you.

As for the short at 2570, I didn't consider it because I hadn't considered 2570 as potential resistance. Did I miss this level?

I wouldn't say missed it, but the S/R lines I've been drawing have been at 65-68.

This chart may be helpful. Or not.

You're in at the green dot. You take your first profit at the break of the demand line. You take the rest at BE.

Then the short. In this case, you can enter at the LH, which you would probably do anyway if you weren't incorporating the TICKQ. If there is no LH, then you're pretty much stuck, unless you do an SAR, which I suggest you postpone indefinitely. If you do have an op to short, you will likely draw the supply line in your head. This isn't the time to be futzing around with lines. When you hit S, you have some choices to make. Do you follow your plan or dump everything and wait for a long entry? In this case, there are several acceptable long entries (the three green dots). Of course, the longer you wait, the farther you are from your stop. That's a choice you have to make. But you've got at least 6-8 pts by now, so it isn't as if you're trying to trade out of a hole. These are the informed risks one sometimes has to take.

Then you get to R. First exit at the break of the DL, second at the LH. And so on.

Db

attachment.php?attachmentid=29631&stc=1&d=1340813038

Image37.jpg.42f6cf36944629e2a236be9b113c53a1.jpg

I am leaving the NQ for today, thanks for posting all of this in real time, following your comments has been very interesting.

I will go through these in detail and with more time. I have a lot to think about and my biggest problem today has been my urge to improvise and not follow my plan. If I had done the latter I would've finished the day with a nice proffit.

Cheers maese, will try n learn from today....

I am leaving the NQ for today, thanks for posting all of this in real time, following your comments has been very interesting.

I will go through these in detail and with more time. I have a lot to think about and my biggest problem today has been my urge to improvise and not follow my plan. If I had done the latter I would've finished the day with a nice proffit....

This is always a problem when one thinks he knows more than his plan. I guess it depends on whether the plan is just an exercise or if it's a vigorous, robust plan of attack. I can't answer that one for you.

Improvisation is often necessary. Today was a good example of that. But being able to improvise and being able to follow a strategy are equally important. Improvisation may often be necessary, but it should not be your default position.

Db

Technically, this ought to go in the TICKQ thread, but without the context (today's posts here), it wouldn't make much sense.

I post this here to show (a) how the T may or may not have been helpful and (b) that the T is anything but a magic bullet.

For me, I see little that is helpful here. If I had a short on the way down and were exiting it at S, the behavior of the T would give me a bit of added confidence if I wanted to enter a long, a bit late, at 53 or 54 or even 55. Or not. Now we're talking hindsight, so who can say for sure?

But as for the third/fourth arrow, yes. That, along with the near parabolic rise up into the R zone, screams "lighten up".

So not always helpful, but helpful enough.

Db

attachment.php?attachmentid=29638&stc=1&d=1340818377

Image39.thumb.jpg.9a15a4c96fb24389547d4a2976aeb16f.jpg

So what now? We are approaching the Red Resistance Line at 2620, are you considering a short if price is rejected around this area?

I think it would be very useful for everyone if you'd share your thoughts and entries in Foresight.

Thursday and Friday were two very strong trend days that lead to a 100 point advance.

We are currently inside the tranding range from the 20th to the 22nd of June, which

is inside that large March Trading range, highligted with a rectangle, traders have been comfortable in this price range in the past. After such an advance, we can anticipate a period of consolidation, or not....

My thoughts for today, playing S/R

Go long:

Test of support (old resistance) around 2605

Breakout of 2626 (wait for a retracement)

Go short

Rejection of 2525-26

Breakdown of 2605 (wait for a retracement)

5aa71112aecf9_NQ2-07.thumb.png.a383ad0847521997eaab997c28e84a7d.png

So what now? We are approaching the Red Resistance Line at 2620, are you considering a short if price is rejected around this area?

I think it would be very useful for everyone if you'd share your thoughts and entries in Foresight.

A short at rejection of R is SOP, though if one were long (chart 4), he'd have to SAR.

There's really nothing to think about. R is at 2620+/- and S is at 2500+/-. Thinking about it too much generally leads to an inability to move.

As for entries and exits, possibilities are noted on the above charts. Again they are SOP and should be consistent with all the other charts posted in the Forum.

Db

I'm bumping this thread for several reasons: (1) there's been a lot of talk about breakouts, retracements, and reversals lately, (2) there's too much good information in this thread for it to be so far down on the list, (3) I want to reiterate and re-emphasize what I've said several times in this thread, beginning with post #2, which is that one must use a small bar interval -- preferably 1m or less -- in order to see the retracements that nearly always occur after breakouts. One cannot very well trade what one cannot see, and a 5m bar interval isn't going to do you any good at all. This was the case not only this morning but on nearly every morning.

If you're going to trade price, you have to be able to see it move, and that means left to right, not up and down in a 5m -- or 10 or 15 or whatever -- bar as if it were on a trampoline. If you're trading a longer bar interval than 1m, then you're behind, and if you're behind, then you have to play catch up, and being in that position is prime opportunity for making bad decisions.

Knowing what to look for is only part of it. You also have to be able to see it. If you can't see it, you can't trade it. And if you're not trading it, then what is all of this for?

Db

If you're going to trade price, you have to be able to see it move, and that means left to right, not up and down in a 5m -- or 10 or 15 or whatever -- bar as if it were on a trampoline. If you're trading a longer bar interval than 1m, then you're behind, and if you're behind, then you have to play catch up, and being in that position is prime opportunity for making bad decisions....

Db

I respectfully suggest that there is an equal amount of information contained in the 5m and 30m bars... only different. And if you just are trying to keep up with the rapid movements of a 1m bar then you are likely to make rushed and poor decisions.

My only concern is that my entry is timed correctly and in the direction that the market is going to move. My observations have demonstrated that some longer timeframe bars are very good to use for entry when momentum supports it. I do not believe that larger volume traders base their decisions on a 1minute timeframe.

I can't elaborate too much now because I am away from my trading computer and using my tablet so my fingers are getting tired.

I'll try to demonstrate what I mean tomorrow if you have any interest in discussing it.

Have. A nice holiday

What larger volume traders base their decisions on is not necessarily pertinent to the small volume trader at home. The little guy can't trade what he can't see, and there's too much that can't be seen in a large interval bar. If he feels "rushed" and/or is making "poor decisions", he very likely doesn't know what he's looking for and/or doesn't know what to do with it if and when he sees it.

Db

It seems to me that it depends what you are trying to trade. And thus the market's speed of development determines what is noise and what is useful structure.

I like longer timeframe for working the slow development periods, and like db, short timeframes for confirming thrusting action.

My observation has been that breakouts of major levels will often get tested in multiple timeframes. For instance a breakout of a multi-day high, will often be tested on the initial break (need a fast chart to see the pullback), however, you then later see another test on a 5 or a 15 minute chart (after bigger progression from breakout level) and again on the daily chart (after a multi-day thrust from the breakout level).

-bbc

Given the age of this thread, I did not expect much response, if any, but I should point out that the thread is part of the Wyckoff Forum. In that context, there is no such thing as "noise", and the preferred chart is that which is as close to the tape as possible. A tick chart, if available. Granted a tick chart takes some getting used to, but it beats the hell out of stating at a T&S display for hours on end.

Maintaining the broader view is of course essential. Back in the day, this was done by using a form of P&F. Today we have the luxury of multiple bar intervals, switchable in an instant. But focusing on the bars, and assigning meanings to them that they don't have, puts the cart before the horse. The message is in the tick, and in its continuous movement that results from imbalances between demand and supply. Some may build systems on 5m bars or 13m candles or 967tick bars or whatever, and they may enjoy great success with all that. But none of it has anything to do with Wyckoff. This is not to suggest that W is the only way or even the best way. Just trying to keep interested readers on the same page.

Db

My observation has been that breakouts of major levels will often get tested in multiple timeframes. For instance a breakout of a multi-day high, will often be tested on the initial break (need a fast chart to see the pullback), however, you then later see another test on a 5 or a 15 minute chart (after bigger progression from breakout level) and again on the daily chart (after a multi-day thrust from the breakout level).

-bbc

True. This is largely due to the different worlds that traders occupy. The 5m people aren't even aware of the RET on the tick chart. So they wait for a RET on the 5m chart. Ditto with the 15m people. And the 30m people may not see any RET at all until the day's nearly over

The problem here from a Wyckoff POV is that the longer one waits to enter after one should have entered, the further he is from his stop. This may decrease the information risk, but it increases the price risk to a level that may be so intolerable to the trader that he doesn't take the trade at all.

If one is sure of what he's looking for and is reasonably sure that he's seen it if and when it occurs, there's just no reason to wait. If he takes it and he's wrong, his stop is so close that his price risk is minimal.

Db

What larger volume traders base their decisions on is not necessarily pertinent to the small volume trader at home. The little guy can't trade what he can't see, and there's too much that can't be seen in a large interval bar. If he feels "rushed" and/or is making "poor decisions", he very likely doesn't know what he's looking for and/or doesn't know what to do with it if and when he sees it.

Db

Fair enough, but the small lot trader does not influence the market to any significant degree. So unless he/she has the support of large volume traders entering at the time he/she does, the trade will not go anywhere.

I believe that the footprints of larger volume traders are plain to see and can be viewed in any time frame but the ones I prefer are 5 and 30 minute bars. Full disclosure: I also use a 10K volume chart to provide structure which generates a bar every 1 - 4 minutes during the RTH session. But it is the 5 and 30minute bars that provide the evidence needed to support the setup.

The Wyckoff trader, however, doesn't seek to influence the market. He seeks to determine where it is and where it is most likely to go, then hitches a ride to take him there. For him this will best be done by following price, not a summary of it.

It's good that the larger bar intervals work for you. But they're not the MO for a Wyckoff trader.

Db

Addendum:

Figuratively speaking, the small trader should imagine himself as a hitch-hiker in the market. For the ordinary hitch-hiker, someone else supplies the car, chauffeur, oil and gas. When he thinks the car is about to go in his direction, he jumps aboard and rides as far as he thinks the car will go. When he notices the machine has been stopped by a red light, or is about to turn a corner and go in some other direction, or that the car is running out of gas, or the brakes failing to work properly, he steps off and figures he has secured about as long a ride as he may expect. All he has supplied in this transaction is a modest commission and whatever brains were necessary to observe and recognize the opportunity when to get on and off.

RDW

Edited by DbPhoenix
Add quote

I trade 1 pip range charts mainly CL and 6E. For me breakout is a key component of everything. I am talking about the breakouts which occurs at it's lowest possible level which is wave breakout. I follow wave breakouts and wave failures to catch intraday (micro) swings.

Pure price with no indies or volume.

DB,

"The Wychoff Method" as I learned it was a stock selection system. A very similar system is presented by VectorVest. I used vectorvest first, and then learned of Wychoff and figured that the creator of vectorvest adpated his system from Wychokk. In a nutshell, as I recall it, it is a tops down approach to selecting stocks where you begin by determining market direction, then finding the strongest moving industries (or sectors) and then selecting the best stocks, given technical and fundamental analysis.

So, when Wychoff is referenced, are we referencing a bastardized version of Wychoff or is there another version of Wychoff that I am unfamiliar with that does not lead to the selection of stocks?

Edited by DbPhoenix

The Forum focuses on the original course (see the Stickies). The process of determining what to trade and when to trade it is detailed therein.

Db

Edited by DbPhoenix

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By vishnux
      Hey guys , what are the main things you look for to detect if the consolidation area is accumulating or distributing ? 
      1 ) I see springs in top , still markup happens and it becomes accumulation area and vice versa
      2) There is lots of volume absorption in support line and still markdown occurs.
      3) sometimes in market high / low it becomes re-accumulation  / re-distribution
      Is there any clear way to find it ? 
    • By millonmethod
      Hello everyone!
      I am an advanced trader, with many years of experience (about 15 years - 10 living exclusively from this)
      I am going to give you some tips that you must know:
      There are going to be many people who tell you that trade is easy, that with only crossiing a line  with another one you will win a lot of money.... and that´s not true.  No, Sir, reality is far away from that. Many people who start arrive here with the hope that someone "gives them" a free method, they watch youtube videos thinking that this will give them the "strategy" and in a few days they realize that it does not work for them - they lose money - and then They go looking for a new one ... and so on. YES, IT´S TRUE YOU EARN IN TRADING, A LOT. BUT THINK: for a few to win (10% + any BROKER) many others must lose (90% people). YOU MUST HAVE A MONEY MANAGMENT FORMULA ( you can email me) People study so many years to live on this, not because they are dumb, but to know what they do, when, and have absolute effectiveness. It´s very easy to get lost here: do not disperse, jumping from one to another strategy WILL NEVER give you money, it will only waste your time and make you nervous when trading. PEOPLE WHO CHANGE THEIR METHOD CONSTANTLY : LOOOOSE ALWAYS.   If you have the knowledge to develop it, take your time and do it.  Always try it first on DEMO for at least 2 weeks! If not: search to buy a solid strategy (no you tube videos pleassse ! Avoid losing money! ) This is like any business, it requires some capital to start (capital = money in the broker + solid made /purchased strategy) If you are lost: I RECOMMEND YOU NOT TO WASTE TIME IN YOUTUBE, JOIN PEOPLE WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE AND IF YOU ARE GOING TO BUY A METHOD ... PLEASE !!!! DO NOT BUY 10 BAD AND CHEAP METHODS, SAVE MONEY AND BUY ONLY 1 BUT EXCLUSIVE AND MUST ALLWAYS HAVE SUPPORT !!!!!  Do not buy Signals! They never keep up with constant profits! One week will win and the next will lose. Nothing that does not depend absolutely on you will give you the money you are looking for. And if you do not have a strategy (made or purchased) do not even try PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE: DO NOT USE REAL MONEY! AT LEAST 2 WEEK DEMO FREE HELP HERE!!!!!  IF YOU FOLLOW MY ADVICE YOU WILL BE PART OF THAT 10% WINNER, email me.
      Have a nice trading day

• Topics

• Date: 19th April 2024. Weekly Commodity Market Update: Oil Prices Correct and Supply Concerns Persist.   The ongoing developments in the Middle East sparked a wave of risk aversion and fueled supply concerns and investors headed for safety. Hopes for imminent rate cuts from the Federal Reserve diminish while attention is now turning towards the demand outlook. The Gold price hit a high of $2417.89 per ounce overnight. Sentiment has already calmed down again and bullion is trading at $2376.50 per ounce as haven flows ease. Oil prices initially moved higher as concern over escalating tensions with the WTI contract hit a session high of $85.508 per barrel overnight, before correcting to currently $81.45 per barrel. Oil Prices Under Pressure Amid Middle East Tensions Last week, commodity indexes showed little movement, with Oil prices undergoing a slight correction. Meanwhile, Gold reached yet another record high, mirroring the upward trend in cocoa prices. Once again today, USOil prices experienced a correction and has remained under pressure, retesting the 50-day EMA at $81.00 as we moving into the weekend. Hence, despite the Israel’s retaliatory strike on Iran, sentiments stabilized following reports suggesting a measured response aimed at avoiding further escalation. Brent crude futures witnessed a more than 4% leap, driven by concerns over potential disruptions to oil supplies in the Middle East, only to subsequently erase all gains. Similarly with USOIL, UKOIL hovers just below $87 per barrel, marginally below Thursday’s closing figures. Nevertheless, volatility is expected to continue in the market as several potential risks loom:   Disruption to the Strait of Hormuz: The possibility of Iran disrupting navigation through the vital shipping lane, is still in play. The Strait of Hormuz serves as the Persian Gulf’s primary route to international waters, with approximately 21 million barrels of oil passing through daily. Recent events, including Iran’s seizure of an Israel-linked container ship, underscore the geopolitical sensitivity of the region. Tougher Sanctions on Iran: Analysts speculate that the US may impose stricter sanctions on Iranian oil exports or intensify enforcement of existing restrictions. With global oil consumption reaching 102 million barrels per day, Iran’s production of 3.3 million barrels remains significant. Recent actions targeting Venezuelan oil highlight the potential for increased pressure on Iranian exports. OPEC Output Increases: Despite the desire for higher prices, OPEC members such as Saudi Arabia and Russia have constrained output in recent years. However, sustained crude prices above $100 per barrel could prompt concerns about demand and incentivize increased production. The OPEC may opt to boost oil output should tensions escalate further and prices surge. Ukraine Conflict: Amidst the focus on the Middle East, markets overlooking Russia’s actions in Ukraine. Potential retaliatory strikes by Kyiv on Russian oil infrastructure could impact exports, adding further complexity to global oil markets.   Technical Analysis USOIL is marking one of the steepest weekly declines witnessed this year after a brief period of consolidation. The breach below the pivotal support level of 84.00, coupled with the descent below the mid of the 4-month upchannel, signals a possible shift in market sentiment towards a bearish trend reversal. Adding to the bearish outlook are indications such as the downward slope in the RSI. However, the asset still hold above the 50-day EMA which coincides also with the mid of last year’s downleg, with key support zone at $80.00-$81.00. If it breaks this support zone, the focus may shift towards the 200-day EMA and 38.2% Fib. level at $77.60-$79.00. Conversely, a rejection of the $81 level and an upside potential could see the price returning back to $84.00. A break of the latter could trigger the attention back to the December’s resistance, situated around $86.60. A breakthrough above this level could ignite a stronger rally towards the $89.20-$90.00 zone. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Michalis Efthymiou Market Analyst HMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past perfrmance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv
    • Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.