Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Submit Your Quotes

Dear Traders,

I have implemented a random quote generator which will apply this to the bottom of the page. I did steal this idea from another site but felt it would be refreshing it we can see a motivational or inspirational quote every time we view a page.

I have started collecting quotes on my own but would appreciate if members can contribute your favorite or preferred quotes you would like to see at the bottom of the page.

Thank you. :beer:

I had no idea what you were talking about James until I scrolled all the way to the bottom. Don't mean to rain on the parade, but who's looking down there?

:( thanks... just spent 5 hours of my time building this.

Didn't want the quotes to stick out as much and nowhere else really to put it. I think its a nice small addition to have.

Simplicity before understanding is simplistic; simplicity after understanding is simple.

(Edward De Bono)

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

(Confucius)

SOCRATES:

There is a very fine line dividing sense from nonsense.

The great majority are unaware of its existence, or, choose to ignore it. Consequently they succeed in misdirecting themselves to choose the wrong side of this line, for reasons best known to themselves. This is a source of amazement to those very few able to correctly logically deduce and reason, viewing nearly everything you will encounter here as nonsense, pure nonsense, that the majority ultimately embrace.

Hofstadter's law:

It always longer than you expect, even when you take Hofstadter's law into account.

Wirth's law:

Software is getting slower more rapidly than hardware becomes faster.

Roald Admundson (1927):

Visotry awaits those who have everything in order - people call that luck. Defeat is certain for those who have forgotten to take the necessary precuations in time - that's called bad luck.

Confucius:

The superiod man makes demands on himself, the inferior man makes demands on others.

Tao te Ching:

Tetragram fifty-six:

Those who know do not speak

Those who speak do not know

Block the passages

Close the door

Blunt the shaprness

Untie the tangles

Harmonize with the brightness

Identify with the way of the world

chapter 11 of Tao te Ching:

Using what's not

Thirty spokes converge on a hub

What's not there makes the wheel useful

Clay is shaped to form a pot

What's not there makes the pot useful

Doors and windows are cut to shape a room

What's not there makes the room useful

Take advantage of what's not there

By making use of what's not

Kenny Rogers:

The Gambler

You have to know when to hold them

You have to know when to fold them

You have to know when to walk away

You have to know when to run

Edited by Sherlock

"The fruits of your success will be in direct ratio to the honesty and sincerity of your own effort in keeping your own records, doing your own thinking and reaching your own conclusions"

- Jesse Livermore, 1877-1940.

Here is one of my favorites to start out 2009... a tribute to all those who contribute to these forums... and especially those who host and moderate them.

"Burn brightly without burning out.

Richard Biggs"

"The newly developed strategy works every time until starting to trade with real money."

"A profitable strategy everyone uses will be unprofitable."

"We don't see patterns as they want them to be; We see patterns as we want them to be."

"The truth is recognising a profitable pattern is not in your eyes, but in your mind."

"The best profitable experience is losing money."

"Many predictions in trading have a chance of success greater than zero; but very close to it."

"The newly developed strategy works every time until starting to trade with real money."

"A profitable strategy everyone uses will be unprofitable."

"We don't see patterns as they want them to be; We see patterns as we want them to be."

"The truth is recognising a profitable pattern is not in your eyes, but in your mind."

"The best profitable experience is losing money."

"Many predictions in trading have a chance of success greater than zero; but very close to it."

Hi fw, do you have any references for the quotes or are you the author of them?

"God gives every bird his worm, but he does not throw it into the nest"

- P.D. James

"It is observed that successful people get ahead in the time that other people waste"

- Henry Ford

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but by how high he bounces when he hits bottom"

- George Patton

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do"

- Walter Bagehot

"Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune!"

- Jim Rohn

"Success is when you don't know if you're working or you're playing"

- Warren Beatty

"Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again"

- James R. Cook

"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"

- Unknown wise person

"Good enough", is never good enough

- Aaron M. Root

Hi fw, do you have any references for the quotes or are you the author of them?

Unfortunately not, those are some quotes I picked up along the line, from various people on forums, chatrooms, perhaps books also,... Sorry that I can't be more specific, but afaik these are not really famous quotes of well-known authors. But they aren't mine either :)