Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest Tresor

Looking for Oscillator That Does NOT Diverge

Guest Tresor

Hello Guys,

One stupid question from a newbie. Is any chance there is an oscillator that does not diverge at all (or diverges very little)? I need it for calculating Bollinger Bands of it.

Regards

Dunno, you would have to eliminate phase shift (lag) before you could meaningfully measure divergence in amplitude. I would take a look at signal processing approaches, Ehlers work springs to mind. I think the short answer is probably no - unless you know precisely the phase shift so can compare the amplitude of price now with the oscillator amplitude N (lag) bars ago. I think that might work but might not useful :) My knowledge of signal processing is pretty rudimentary though if memory serves there are a couple of guys here that where engineers in previous lives that might be able to answer with much more authority.

An oscillator diverges for a simple reason (well its simple for a good oscillator).

When price doesn't have as much velocity (measure vertical move/number of bars) then an oscillator will not push as far as price because in some way its a 1st (or maybe 2nd in come cases) derivative of price.

So by definition oscillators will diverge.

Will divergence be meaningful? Quite probably not ... slowing down doesn't mean that something is going to stop and reverse does it?

Guest Tresor

For a project of mine I just need the oscillator that resembles the price as much as possible, e.i. if the price makes a new high, I want the oscillator to make a new high as well.

What you guys wrote is not very optimistic for me :hmmmm:

Why not just double smooth price then. Try a 3 ema followed by a 3 ema of the 3 ema (or sma for that matter). Or a hull ema. That will look like price.

Or if you want the extensions use a zig zag or a zig zag smoothed with a 3ema.

For a project of mine I just need the oscillator that resembles the price as much as possible, e.i. if the price makes a new high, I want the oscillator to make a new high as well.

What you guys wrote is not very optimistic for me :hmmmm:

Perhaps a inverse Fourier transform. You could create a low (or high) pass filter to chart with other indicators or just map the "function" very closely.

Guest Tresor
Why not just double smooth price then. Try a 3 ema followed by a 3 ema of the 3 ema (or sma for that matter). Or a hull ema. That will look like price.

Or if you want the extensions use a zig zag or a zig zag smoothed with a 3ema.

Hi Kiwi, emas will be emas; they can móve from 0 to zillions. I need an oscillator that will be bound within -100 to 100 or 0 to 100, etc

Guest Tresor

Hello BlowFish,

It seems the mathematical rules cannot be broken.

Regards

Polarized Fractal Efficiency (PFE) on ‘momentum’ indicators will not diverge as much since they tend to slam to the top or bottom and stay there until time to slam back to other side

hth

zdo

Polarized Fractal Efficiency (PFE) on ‘momentum’ indicators will not diverge as much since they tend to slam to the top or bottom and stay there until time to slam back to other side

hth

zdo

Wont they diverge more? as when they are pegged high or low price can make new extremes but they can not?

Blowfish,

Yes ( But as was covered on the first page, mathematically we are 'grasping at straws' (whatever that means :) ) with the bounded range of the indicator requirement. )

and No ... :wtf:

..just trying to help...

Bump: Tresor,

Have you looked at slow ergodic(s) or stochasticCG for your purposes?

zdo

We are all trying to help, I was just trying to understand how PFE might accomplish that? No need to swear at me for being slow. :)

I guess not understanding what Tresor is trying to accomplish (apart from getting a square peg in a round hole) does not help. Actually more like getting an infinite peg into a finite hole.

Guest Tresor

Guys,

please do not be angry with me for my being late with repsonses. Today is my first day of demo trading US markets. I am trying to master the DOM and other stuff. Will reply in a greater detail today or tomorrow.

Cheers :)

P.S. Till now very profitable :cool:

As others have noted in earlier posts, due to the nature of bound oscillators for them not to get pasted to an edge or diverge, they must be truly predictive of how far this swing will go and adaptively increase the length ‘just right’ to hold it back from cascading across the middle to the other side for the first swing and then adaptively / differently manage the length of the second swing to allow it to run closer to the edge than the oscillator did the last swing. That’s more than fitting shapes into shape holes – that’s magic.

Basically, at first use ‘stochastics’ type indicators to indicate when an instrument is ‘stochastickin’ and when it’s not. It’s just as important to know when to use them as it is to know how to use them. Realize that the same pattern on an oscillator can represent a huge variety of patterns up on the price chart and if one were viewing the oscillator in isolation it would be possible to narrow down to a promising set of likely price patterns occurring on the hidden chart the but impossible to say which one it is. If you are going to master ‘stochastic’ type indicators, learn how the price representation and the indicator representations work together for you – including + and – divergences, etc. Then, get to where smooth sucks. Learn to prefer fast, ragged, jagged, and jittery. (ie If you’re looking for smooth security, consider getting a job instead of trading leveraged instruments :) )

...It's easy to see why a lot of trading minds reject oscillators out of hand.

re “For a project of mine I just need the oscillator that resembles the price as much as possible, e.i. if the price makes a new high, I want the oscillator to make a new high as well…What you guys wrote is not very optimistic for me” No, in general we can not be very optimistic on this. ;) All the suggestions I made were just off the top of my head. Here is another. Run your oscillators beside a detrend instead of a price chart. See Blowfish’s #9 post. If anything else pops into my head will let you know - at least you've been warned.

“I need it for calculating Bollinger Bands of it.” Suggestion – on indicators, try Keltners instead of BB’s.

Find attached a weekly YM chart with StochasicCG. It tends to diverge less often. White trend lines show place where it did not diverge. Red trend line shows place where it did.

Again- it only diverges slightly less often! There are still divergences all over the place

hth

All the best,

zdo

stochCG.thumb.jpg.59e29c90151fd9233a17a43567ff3566.jpg

Ahh, I think we might be using a different vocabulary here. Often the case :D Generally speaking when people use of the term divergence is in respect to amplitude. Price makes a higher high but the oscillator fails to. There is a whole range of techniques based on this phenomenon.

I might be wrong but I think what you have there zdo is an oscillator with what I would call low phase shift or lag (which is a valuable thing in itself). However as the oscillator is 'pegging' high or low it is diverging (in amplitude) on nearly every swing. Of course it would trying to fit an infinite (unbound price) thing into a finite (bound oscillator) hole. You might manage to do it if you rescaled the oscillator every time price made a new high or low, not sure how useful that would be as old 'signals' would disappear and appear as new price series data arrived.

Edit: just noticed "Learn to prefer fast, ragged, jagged, and jittery." on a re-read. Better still learn to prefer price :):)

Guest Tresor

Hello Guys,

Thank you very much for your contribution. I appreciate both good-faith input and sarcastic one. Recently a very skillfull programmer coded an AE for me that I had for some time in my head in pursuit to automate some of my activities. The backtesting and forward testing on multiple year data proven that this system is profitable and very robust for the third world markets I trade.

I attach a screenshot. Do not look at signals (these were not optimized for ES). In the bottom there is an indicator (hidden as it is proprietary) being a part of this EA. It is quite complex, at least for a programming newbie like me. I had to occupy my old almamater's supercomputer to optimize this strat. Simple work stations and servers would die :) Zillions of combinations.

This EA shows bad signals from time to time because of one oscillator's on which BB are calculated is showing divergence in relation to price.

I was naively thinking there might be some kind of solution to make an oscillator divergence-resistant so that I could make some suggestion to the programmer so that he could investigate further.

That's the whole story.

Regards

Bump:

“I need it for calculating Bollinger Bands of it.” Suggestion – on indicators, try Keltners instead of BB’s.

zdo

Keltners already included

y.jpg.f7eb23ecdbf63e2657dc917ef477b9ea.jpg

Blowfish,

re: “definitions”. I become more grateful each day at the freaked out definitions and perception patterns I have in trading… but I wouldn’t wish them on others. Again, I was only trying to help Tresor a little bit in his explorations… just some things off the top of my head to shorten the search and facilitate him bringing it to resolution in his own way. I have absolutely no argument with the preciseness of your definitions of divergence, etc.

btw I suspect all of us are projecting big time – he has only hinted at what he’s really after and we are imagining from there

re “what you have there zdo is an oscillator with what I would call low phase shift or lag”

That’s amusing – cause when I saw it, my first thought was “way too much lag” ;)

re: “Better still learn to prefer price” Again, no real argument. Like I said - it’s easy to see why a lot of trading minds reject oscillators period… on the other hand, price also is just a representation of the auctions and to make it the ‘only thing that matters’ is ultimately limiting…

Have a good one.

zdo

Tresor-> What indicator wouldn't be profitable after optimizing? IMHO as soon as an indicator needs optimizing to give proper indications, then the life span of the indicator would turn out to be very short and the worst part, one can allways use an excuse for the incoming failure :cool:

An optimal indicator would consist of more than just simple OHLC calculations, but should take previous action into consideration and thereby be build as dynamic as possible, hence adaptive indicators rules ;) and optimization should be superfluous.

But again.. it's just me :missy:

BTW: Just remove the name of the indicator, I'm sure no one can figure out the name ;) it's a lot easier to share when everybody share ;)

Parts of this study are dynamic / self-adjusting

But it still needs optimization? And that's exactly the point where the system fails :doh:

Forget about optimization, curvefitting etc. Create a system that looks at different scenarios, weights them and then take the most accurates one at that particular moment in time ;)

Forget about optimization, curvefitting etc. Create a system that looks at different scenarios, weights them and then take the most accurates one at that particular moment in time ;)

How is that different than optimization?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Topics

• Date: 18th April 2024. Market News – Stock markets benefit from Dollar correction. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Technical buying, bargain hunting, and risk aversion helped Treasuries rally and unwind recent losses. Yields dropped from the recent 2024 highs. Asian stock markets strengthened, as the US Dollar corrected in the wake of comments from Japan’s currency chief Masato Kanda, who said G7 countries continue to stress that excessive swings and disorderly moves in the foreign exchange market were harmful for economies. US Stockpiles expanded to 10-month high. The data overshadowed the impact of geopolitical tensions in the Middle East as traders await Israel’s response to Iran’s unprecedented recent attack. President Joe Biden called for higher tariffs on imports of Chinese steel and aluminum.   Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex stumbled, falling to 105.66 at the end of the day from the intraday high of 106.48. It lost ground against most of its G10 peers. There wasn’t much on the calendar to provide new direction. USDJPY lows retesting the 154 bottom! NOT an intervention yet. BoJ/MoF USDJPY intervention happens when there is more than 100+ pip move in seconds, not 50 pips. USOIL slumped by 3% near $82, as US crude inventories rose by 2.7 million barrels last week, hitting the highest level since last June, while gauges of fuel demand declined. Gold strengthened as the dollar weakened and bullion is trading at $2378.44 per ounce. Market Trends:   Wall Street closed in the red after opening with small corrective gains. The NASDAQ underperformed, slumping -1.15%, with the S&P500 -0.58% lower, while the Dow lost -0.12. The Nikkei closed 0.2% higher, the Hang Seng gained more than 1. European and US futures are finding buyers. A gauge of global chip stocks and AI bellwether Nvidia Corp. have both fallen into a technical correction. The TMSC reported its first profit rise in a year, after strong AI demand revived growth at the world’s biggest contract chipmaker. The main chipmaker to Apple Inc. and Nvidia Corp. recorded a 9% rise in net income, beating estimates. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 17th April 2024. Market News – Appetite for risk-taking remains weak. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks, Treasury yields and US Dollar stay firmed. Fed Chair Powell added to the recent sell off. His slightly more hawkish tone further priced out chances for any imminent action and the timing of a cut was pushed out further. He suggested if higher inflation does persist, the Fed will hold rates steady “for as long as needed.” Implied Fed Fund: There remains no real chance for a move on May 1 and at their intraday highs the June implied funds rate future showed only 5 bps, while July reflected only 10 bps. And a full 25 bps was not priced in until November, with 38 bps in cuts seen for 2024. US & EU Economies Diverging: Lagarde says ECB is moving toward rate cuts – if there are no major shocks. UK March CPI inflation falls less than expected. Output price inflation has started to nudge higher, despite another decline in input prices. Together with yesterday’s higher than expected wage numbers, the data will add to the arguments of the hawks at the BoE, which remain very reluctant to contemplate rate cuts. Canada CPI rose 0.6% in March, double the 0.3% February increase BUT core eased. The doors are still open for a possible cut at the next BoC meeting on June 5. IMF revised up its global growth forecast for 2024 with inflation easing, in its new World Economic Outlook. This is consistent with a global soft landing, according to the report. Financial Markets Performance:   USDJPY also inched up to 154.67 on expectations the BoJ will remain accommodative and as the market challenges a perceived 155 red line for MoF intervention. USOIL prices slipped -0.15% to $84.20 per barrel. Gold rose 0.24% to $2389.11 per ounce, a new record closing high as geopolitical risks overshadowed the impacts of rising rates and the stronger dollar. Market Trends:   Wall Street waffled either side of unchanged on the day amid dimming rate cut potential, rising yields, and earnings. The major indexes closed mixed with the Dow up 0.17%, while the S&P500 and NASDAQ lost -0.21% and -0.12%, respectively. Asian stock markets mostly corrected again, with Japanese bourses underperforming and the Nikkei down -1.3%. Mainland China bourses were a notable exception and the CSI 300 rallied 1.4%, but the MSCI Asia Pacific index came close to erasing the gains for this year. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.vvvvvvv
    • Date: 16th April 2024. Market News – Stocks and currencies sell off; USD up. Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Stocks and currencies sell off, while the US Dollar picks up haven flows. Treasuries yields spiked again to fresh 2024 peaks before paring losses into the close, post, the stronger than expected retail sales eliciting a broad sell off in the markets. Rates surged as the data pushed rate cut bets further into the future with July now less than a 50-50 chance. Wall Street finished with steep declines led by tech. Stocks opened in the green on a relief trade after Israel repulsed the well advertised attack from Iran on Sunday. But equities turned sharply lower and extended last week’s declines amid the rise in yields. Investor concerns were intensified as Israel threatened retaliation. There’s growing anxiety over earnings even after a big beat from Goldman Sachs. UK labor market data was mixed, as the ILO unemployment rate unexpectedly lifted, while wage growth came in higher than anticipated – The data suggests that the labor market is catching up with the recession. Mixed messages then for the BoE. China grew by 5.3% in Q1 however the numbers are causing a lot of doubts over sustainability of this growth. The bounce came in the first 2 months of the year. In March, growth in retail sales slumped and industrial output decelerated below forecasts, suggesting challenges on the horizon. Today: Germany ZEW, US housing starts & industrial production, Fed Vice Chair Philip Jefferson speech, BOE Bailey speech & IMF outlook. Earnings releases: Morgan Stanley and Bank of America. Financial Markets Performance:   The US Dollar rallied to 106.19 after testing 106.25, gaining against JPY and rising to 154.23, despite intervention risk. Yen traders started to see the 160 mark as the next Resistance level. Gold surged 1.76% to $2386 per ounce amid geopolitical risks and Chinese buying, even as the USD firmed and yields climbed. USOIL is flat at $85 per barrel. Market Trends:   Breaks of key technical levels exacerbated the sell off. Tech was the big loser with the NASDAQ plunging -1.79% to 15,885 while the S&P500 dropped -1.20% to 5061, with the Dow sliding -0.65% to 37,735. The S&P had the biggest 2-day sell off since March 2023. Nikkei and ASX lost -1.9% and -1.8% respectively, and the Hang Seng is down -2.1%. European bourses are down more than -1% and US futures are also in the red. CTA selling tsunami: “Just a few points lower CTAs will for the first time this year start selling in size, to add insult to injury, we are breaking major trend-lines in equities and the gamma stabilizer is totally gone.” Short term CTA threshold levels are kicking in big time according to GS. Medium term is 4873 (most important) while the long term level is at 4605. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • Date: 15th April 2024. Market News – Negative Reversion; Safe Havens Rally. Trading Leveraged Products is risky Economic Indicators & Central Banks:   Markets weigh risk of retaliation cycle in Middle East. Initially the retaliatory strike from Iran on Israel fostered a haven bid, into bonds, gold and other haven assets, as it threatens a wider regional conflict. However, this morning, Oil and Asian equity markets were muted as traders shrugged off fears of a war escalation in the Middle East. Iran said “the matter can be deemed concluded”, and President Joe Biden has called on Israel to exercise restraint following Iran’s drone and missile strike, as part of Washington’s efforts to ease tensions in the Middle East and minimize the likelihood of a widespread regional conflict. New US and UK sanctions banned deliveries of Russian supplies, i.e. key industrial metals, produced after midnight on Friday. Aluminum jumped 9.4%, nickel rose 8.8%, suggesting brokers are bracing for major supply chain disruption. Financial Markets Performance:   The USDIndex fell back from highs over 106 to currently 105.70. The Yen dip against USD to 153.85. USOIL settled lower at 84.50 per barrel and Gold is trading below session highs at currently $2357.92 per ounce. Copper, more liquid and driven by the global economy over recent weeks, was more subdued this morning. Currently at $4.3180. Market Trends:   Asian stock markets traded mixed, but European and US futures are slightly higher after a tough session on Friday and yields have picked up. Mainland China bourses outperformed overnight, after Beijing offered renewed regulatory support. The PBOC meanwhile left the 1-year MLF rate unchanged, while once again draining funds from the system. Nikkei slipped 1% to 39,114.19. On Friday, NASDAQ slumped -1.62% to 16,175, unwinding most of Thursday’s 1.68% jump to a new all-time high at 16,442. The S&P500 fell -1.46% and the Dow dropped 1.24%. Declines were broadbased with all 11 sectors of the S&P finishing in the red. JPMorgan Chase sank 6.5% despite reporting stronger profit in Q1. The nation’s largest bank gave a forecast for a key source of income this year that fell below Wall Street’s estimate, calling for only modest growth. Apple shipments drop by 10% in Q1. Always trade with strict risk management. Your capital is the single most important aspect of your trading business. Please note that times displayed based on local time zone and are from time of writing this report. Click HERE to access the full HFM Economic calendar. Want to learn to trade and analyse the markets? Join our webinars and get analysis and trading ideas combined with better understanding on how markets work. Click HERE to register for FREE! Click HERE to READ more Market news. Andria Pichidi Market Analyst HFMarkets Disclaimer: This material is provided as a general marketing communication for information purposes only and does not constitute an independent investment research. Nothing in this communication contains, or should be considered as containing, an investment advice or an investment recommendation or a solicitation for the purpose of buying or selling of any financial instrument. All information provided is gathered from reputable sources and any information containing an indication of past performance is not a guarantee or reliable indicator of future performance. Users acknowledge that any investment in FX and CFDs products is characterized by a certain degree of uncertainty and that any investment of this nature involves a high level of risk for which the users are solely responsible and liable. We assume no liability for any loss arising from any investment made based on the information provided in this communication. This communication must not be reproduced or further distributed without our prior written permission.
    • The morning of my last post I happened to glance over to the side and saw “...angst over the FOMC’s rate trajectory triggered a flight to safety, hence boosting the haven demand. “   http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/topic/21621-hfmarkets-hfmcom-market-analysis-services/page/17/?tab=comments#comment-228522   I reacted, but didn’t take time to  respond then... will now --- HFBlogNews, I don’t know if you are simply aggregating the chosen narratives for the day or if it’s your own reporting... either way - “flight to safety”????  haven ?????  Re: “safety  - ”Those ‘solid rocks’ are getting so fragile a hit from a dandelion blowball might shatter them... like now nobody wants to buy longer term new issues at these rates...yet the financial media still follows the scripts... The imagery they pound day in and day out makes it look like the Fed knows what they’re doing to help ‘us’... They do know what they’re doing - but it certainly is not to help ‘us’... and it is not to ‘control’ inflation... And at some point in the not too distant future, the interest due will eat a huge portion of the ‘revenue’ Re: “haven” The defaults are coming ...  The US will not be the first to default... but it will certainly not be the very last to default !! ...Enough casual anti-white racism for the day  ... just sayin’

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.