Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

sillykiddo

Feltontrading Method

First, let me say that I don't have any stake in this, and do not have any strong opinions one way or another about Roger Felton -- nor any knowledge of his methods. From my own experiences, I can understand where Roger may be coming from feeling "negativity" which is often expressed at the first sign that someone being a vendor, regardless of the merits the vendor has to contribute.

Now as far as sim trading, I've did that for many years and believe it to have value.. Some traders can trade in sim and can't trade live. Some simulators aren't realistic and won't give accurate result. If the simulator is using realistic fill engine then I can't see the problem from the student/learning perspective. I share my sim trades on a regular basis, as well as my live trades.

However.... I feel it safe to say that no one in their right mind would sit out $1,000 in profits per day just to teach on a simulator. That part raises a red flag... Great traders are highly motivated to do everything they can and I just can't see a great trader doing that. Also, I don't see any reason too and I don't see the sales being that lucrative. And, I'm sorry if I misunderstood Roger but I felt he was claiming that he wasn't trading live during the best parts of the day? It is usually not that difficult to trade both live and on the simulator at the same time. And really if you are averaging 1k per day then that's what 3 days to buy a top of the line computer to run your order engine from? This is the part that I have a problem with. Plus sharing the live fills couldn't do anything but help your sales and credibility.

Again, some traders can trade better on the simulator then live. I sometimes go back to the simulator when I have self doubt or when trying new things. I'm often trading on both sim and live at the same time. And, as long as the vendor is clear on what he is doing and why he is doing it then I don't see any problem. But to suggest that a trader is going to sit on a simulator and not trade live just to help students while giving up thousands in profits doesn't make any sense to me -- as a vendor and a trader.

Edited by Predictor

First, let me say that I don't have any stake in this, and do not have any strong opinions one way or another about Roger Felton -- nor any knowledge of his methods. From my own experiences, I can understand where Roger may be coming from feeling "negativity" which is often expressed at the first sign that someone being a vendor, regardless of the merits the vendor has to contribute.

Now as far as sim trading, I've did that for many years and believe it to have value.. Some traders can trade in sim and can't trade live. Some simulators aren't realistic and won't give accurate result. If the simulator is using realistic fill engine then I can't see the problem from the student/learning perspective. I share my sim trades on a regular basis, as well as my live trades.

However.... I feel it safe to say that no one in their right mind would sit out $1,000 in profits per day just to teach on a simulator. That part raises a red flag... Great traders are highly motivated to do everything they can and I just can't see a great trader doing that. Also, I don't see any reason too and I don't see the sales being that lucrative. And, I'm sorry if I misunderstood Roger but I felt he was claiming that he wasn't trading live during the best parts of the day? It is usually not that difficult to trade both live and on the simulator at the same time. And really if you are averaging 1k per day then that's what 3 days to buy a top of the line computer to run your order engine from? This is the part that I have a problem with. Plus sharing the live fills couldn't do anything but help your sales and credibility.

Again, some traders can trade better on the simulator then live. I sometimes go back to the simulator when I have self doubt or when trying new things. I'm often trading on both sim and live at the same time. And, as long as the vendor is clear on what he is doing and why he is doing it then I don't see any problem. But to suggest that a trader is going to sit on a simulator and not trade live just to help students while giving up thousands in profits doesn't make any sense to me -- as a vendor and a trader.

I think it's probably pretty easy to "armchair quarterback" the other guy and certainly no offense in your doing so with me. It's entertainment, I suppose.

I'm up and at my computer by 6am (CST) every day. 2 to 3.5 hours later I'm on the simulator and moderating the FT room for only one and a half hours a day (my student/moderator does the rest). That hour and a half is the most enjoyable part of my day and I wouldn't miss it for anything. I'm with my friends...I help them and they help me.

Since the markets are open 20+ hours a day, what trader can't find an hour and a half to do something they thoroughly enjoy? It's not a sacrifice, it's a blessing.

Look, I'm not ashamed to say that I have no desire to try to moderate a room, answer numerous questions and PM's, constantly scrolling charts back to show previous day's examples... and trade my live account at the same time! That's nuts. Don't believe me...try it. Interruptions and distractions will kill ya when trading when seconds count and total focus is mandatory. Seriously, if you can find someone who can do that, then take their course and become filthy rich. Funny though, it just never works out that way.

If I can't get my personal trading done in that 2 to 3.5 hours of peaceful quiet, something is very wrong. I learned a long time ago that enough is enough and trying to trade all day long is tiring...especially when I'm also trying run a business.

The goal is not to take more trades...the secret is to make the trades you do take really count. It's not the number of trades, it's the number of contracts.

Edited by Roger Felton

Interesting

with respect to the question about finding a method or room that is profitable, the answer is not going to be welcomed...first it is not "the method" or even "the room" that is going to make a person profitable....unfortunately for most of you, it is a number of other characteristics, most of which people aren't " born with, but need to learn to incorporate in their personality....among them are discipline, focus, mature experience and judgement. Also one needs to have internalized a sense of adult self esteem. By "adult self esteem" we mean a sense of what is real and the ability to subordinate immediate personal "wants" while working on a future goal. If one possess those qualities, there are a number of systematic approaches that work pretty well. If we are talking about trading the S&P Futures for example, currently most skilled participants are using a mix of both trend following (longer time frame) and momentum based (shorter time frame) systems with good result.

with respect to a systematic approach or "room" I can only relate to my own system (one that was published here quite a while ago. In that approach I outlined how large institutions use time based goals to move money in and out of the markets. Last year for instance the longer time frame goal was 1363 (approximately)....participants knew this goal was in play fairly early in the year and we traded around that using both outright positions and options (for the longer term players). If you took this seriously you did both (trading around the open, high and close of each time period from daily, to weekly to monthly to quarterly). and of course markets move up AND down but I don;'t have the time (or inclination) to provide a comprehensive outline of my system here.

Now some will suggest that in that thread, there wasn't enough detail on which to base a systematic approach, nevertheless, some folks took that info and ran with it, and had a decent year...I taught two small classes (8 students total) and like any approach where you have a diverse student body, some did well, some did poorly and for some it is a work in progress. Since all of them are either members or read my work here (and aren't posting complaints) it is assumed that (at the very least) they received value for their money (I charged them $200/mo...and this brings me to my final point.

I think there are ways of screening for participants who are most likely to be successful in any endeavor...in future if I decide to teach again, the screening process will be weighted so that I can find folks who are most likely to benefit from my approach to teaching. Unfortunately everywhere I look, including Mr. Felton's "room"...if you have a checkbook, you're in...to me that signals that the business's profitabilty takes a higher priority than the student's success. I think that is fine, but not a value that I want to embrace.

Steve46, from what I can tell by your vague post, you're a one man band. I can't imagine trying to run a real business with office staff, support personnel, sales department and full time programmer on a $1600 gross income. We don't have the luxury of going out of business whenever we feel like it.

How about we have an agreement to respect each other's business model.

Edited by MadMarketScientist
no personal attacks

Steve46, from what I can tell by your vague post, you're a one man band. I can't imagine trying to run a real business with office staff, support personnel, sales department and full time programmer on a $1600 gross income. We don't have the luxury of going out of business whenever we feel like it.

How about we have an agreement to respect each other's business model and hold off on the cheap shots. Makes you look small.

Hmmm, so lets see here, you've just suggested that your "business model" is justified because you have employees that need to be paid?

So its okay to upsell folks from the get go

and its okay to market software that makes your students dependent on YOU to trade your system

and apparently this "business model" is profitable enough that you don't need to trade (except in your most recent post where you recant that comment....now you DO trade at specfic times of the day).....

I think the rest of you can connect the dots......

Edited by steve46

I had a post deleted from this topic (for allegedly being off topic). It named Roger Felton, FeltonTrading, RF or FT six times within it's 105 total words. Discussion with managment confirmed it was not a personal attack.

I prefer this be my last post to this subject (but I will adapt to information as the future becomes the present).

I raised the question about why onesmith's post was deleted if, as claimed, management confirmed that the post was not a personal attack. It's hard to imagine that it was off-topic if it named the subject of the Thread Title that many times.

There has been no response from any of the moderators.

I don't want to debate the reasons. It's your board so you can make whatever rules you want - no matter how inconsistent or biased they may be. However, it's in every member's interest to know why a post was deleted if it did not contain a personal attack.

And it's in your interest to let us know why. Only then can we ensure that we don't make the same mistake in future posts. Otherwise it wastes your time moderating/deleting them and increases your workload.

I'd have thought it would be important for you to reduce that workload, particularly as you wrote that: "moderating this thread is not something I enjoy!"

It's difficult for us to meet your request to: "Lets all get on the same page" , if you can't be bothered to let us know what that page is that warranted the deletion of a post that allegedly did not contain a personal attack.

I raised the question about why onesmith's post was deleted if, as claimed, management confirmed that the post was not a personal attack. It's hard to imagine that it was off-topic if it named the subject of the Thread Title that many times.

Because it was off-topic to the subject. The subject of the thread was a trading method and we want to keep the posts about that. onesmith's post was accusing him of fraud, clearly not on topic. If someone doesn't like the trading strategy being discussed, please ignore the thread.

thx

MMS

There isn't any discussion of a trading method within the last 33 posts (from post #121 through #153). I did not look further back but I recall the posts prior to that are similar. My post which was deleted for allegedly being off-topic, .. conveyed important information relevant to the topic.

I'm interested in discussing the FeltonTrading Method with everyone else on this topic.

Particularly with those who have subscribed and have experience with it.

Because it was off-topic to the subject. The subject of the thread was a trading method and we want to keep the posts about that. onesmith's post was accusing him of fraud, clearly not on topic. If someone doesn't like the trading strategy being discussed, please ignore the thread.

thx

MMS

I have been taking free trials in chat rooms and with vendors software for almost 15 yrs. All I can say is, if you ever have to lay out more than $1000 at one time.....run! I can tell you who dollar for dollar gives you the best trading education in a chat room anywhere in the USA. But you have to be open to Fibonacci work. There are actually 2 people doing it and both know and respect each others work. Tell yuh something. I work as a coach, not a trading coach but as a coach to find out where peoples "holes" are in why they are not succeeding at the endeavors they seem to want to so badly. Like a life coach. But Im semi-retired now and dont take any new clients. But if you PM me, I will tell you who I think are the 2 best out there. And yes, Barry Burns is good value for the dollar if you are not yet advanced. Nice guy too! Felton, I think his style, legit or not is not sustainable long term because youd have to wear your nerves out taking those tiny scalping profits he settles for. I think he sells his system because its to stressful to do every day.

Vince

All these snake oil services should be closed down for fraud.

Look in the charts, there is no shortcut to trading.

S

did it ever occur to you that is precisely what mr felton does? he looks at charts! do you look at charts? if so...is your looking then snake oil? or is it only his looking that is snake oil because he sells what he "sees" in the charts?