Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

DianaR

Obama is the New President.

Well you have to give credit where it is due and acknowledge his ability to inspire with his oratory, afterall he has changed history against all odds especially with a middle name like "Hussein":)

His speech embodied the best of any world leaders I have heard so far including Tony Blair, and Clinton, he could have given elocution lessons even to Martin Luther King:cool:

Folks are expecting miracles and he certainly does not have a magic wand, however he does have a unique opportunity to assemble the right mixture of talent both from democrats and republicans to address the immense problems facing both US and the rest of the world. Who knows, the middle east nations may have more trust in him and in that respect he certainly can avert the growing nuclear threat from Iran. One can go on, but we just have to wait and see how the next 4yrs unfold, can only hope that he will be able to establish peace and harmony amongst nations and also amongst various races in US as well.

Quite amazing, latest from Reuters, even some tribal folks in India have been inspired.

"Hundreds of tribal people beat drums, fired crackers and distributed sweets in eastern India Thursday to celebrate Barack Obama's victory as the first black U.S. president-elect.

Tribals are among the poorest and most backward sections of Indian society and say they suffer racial discrimination in a country enjoying an economic boom in some areas.

When news of Obama's triumph reached the state capital of Jharkhand, hundreds in traditional tribal dress thronged to a statue of Mahatma Gandhi, dancing and shouting slogans of optimism.

"The victory of Obama in U.S. election is indication that racial discrimination will end in all forms," Ajay Tirkey, the president of a tribal organisation said.

"This is a historical moment of the world that a black has been elected to president of most powerful country of the world. We hope even India will soon get a black president."

People are still celebrating where I live, but I think many are just excited to be rid of Bush.

What do you think Obama's first act will be once he is sworn in?

If you mean legislative act, I expect that it will be an economic plan along with something to resolve the Iraq/Afghanistan situation, largely because of the connectedness between the two. Energy, healthcare, and education can wait, though I understand that the House wants to enact SCHIP as quickly as possible.

If you don't mean legislative act, I expect it will be to get the locks changed.

Because candidates who, in the United States, win the popular vote in a given state take all the electoral votes for that state (with a couple of exceptions), those who follow the "red/blue" maps may get a skewed view of where conservative/liberal sympathies lie.

Since McCain won 46% of the popular vote, conservatism is hardly dead or even dying. But I find the following chart informative:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8536&stc=1&d=1225986233

Image3.gif.ec15050de8e1e206e6ed052f5132647f.gif

We are celebrating now because election is over. Hoping that in the new administration, everything changes. No economy crisis and no terrorism. I'm one of the supporter of Barack Obama. :cool:

I agree, it will be a while before the crisis is declared dead. There are things to alleviate it but hopefully Obama finds the right competent advisors to steer in the right direction.

One good thing out of all this is that the US can't be accused of being racists anymore by enemy or hostile countries.

I am looking forward to the Bush tax breaks for the wealthy to expire.

I am also looking forward to watching the Obama admin's governing style develop. He seem pretty even tempered and thoughtful, which is exactly what we need right now. It will be nice to get away from "government through fear" to something closer to government through humane treatment of the hardest working citizens!

Because candidates who, in the United States, win the popular vote in a given state take all the electoral votes for that state (with a couple of exceptions), those who follow the "red/blue" maps may get a skewed view of where conservative/liberal sympathies lie.

Since McCain won 46% of the popular vote, conservatism is hardly dead or even dying. But I find the following chart informative:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8536&stc=1&d=1225986233

I can only hope that Obama's admin creates enough good, solid change, that the conservative movement can't find another foothold before I die.

Yes he has all the required qualities to be a great President , however he will have to harness the right support to implement his policies.

Have been quite amazed to observe celebrations all over the world , Europe, Africa, even Japan, that shows he has been able to connect with all races not just the african americans. There is almost a tangible feeling of optimism and hope in the air amidst the doom and gloom of the credit crisis, the honeymoon period can be short though as he gets down to the nitty-gritty.:)

Recently, CSPAN rebroadcast a roast from 2005 where Barack Obama takes on his future White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel. Discussed are Rahm's past with ballet and the accident in which Rahm lost his middle finger, a loss that Obama said essentially rendered Rahm mute.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/11/07/obama-roasts-rahm-emanuel_n_142259.html

We celebrated so hard this year, that we made Obama masks for all of our group and danced around the room during our home school watch party.

I'd say the prevailing feeling worldwide is one of hope and jubilation. *smile*

I'm interested to see if he can keep that hope flowing once the honeymoon period is over and we get down to brass tacks.

My understanding is that the justice of the u.s. supreme Court today considered the issue of Obama's qualifications to hold the office of President. Question; "Is Obama a natural born citizen?" Following are some links addressing the question:

http://texasdarlin.wordpress.com/2008/12/05/stand-by-me/

http://www.newswithviews.com/Vieira/edwin84.htm

http://maggiesnotebook.blogspot.com/search/label/U.S.%20Citizenship

http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=82640#

As a Chicagoan and concerned voter who resolutely supported McCain, I frankly doubt Obama is any less corrupt than other members of the Chicago democratic machine. The governor was under arrest only one week ago. For review, Obama got his opponent knocked off the ballot to get to the IL state senate, opposed a Republican for the US senate tainted by sexual scandal, and finally ran against an unpopular political party just after a stock market crash. Yes he has "luck" and the praising media on his side as well as an increasingly stupid electorate.

In my view, all this hope and change stuff is naive folly. Obama is no more "hope and change" than was Jimmy Carter, the last time we were foisted upon with this drivel.

The rest of the world doesn't understand precinct politics. I went to undergrad with the governor, I know how important paying off city officials can be in this town to even get one's garbage collected. This is a one party state and has been for a long time.

The United States should be renamed "The 50 Precincts of Greater Chicago". It will be run exactly the same way. And the fawning press will praise it to no end. If anybody thinks ethnic politics are any different for blacks or any other ethnic groupthan for the Irish, Italians, etc., they are living in a dream world. Obama is no different than Daley. My predicition is that Obama will make Bush look like a "reasoned" president. Hold on to your wallets and get ready to move your trading accounts offshore, the NFA/CFTC and SEC merger is coming as is 50% margin. "Chicago ain't ready for reform", said Paddy Bauler, alderman. Neither is the United States, which seems to be hungrier for media shaded corruption.

". Hold on to your wallets and get ready to move your trading accounts offshore, the NFA/CFTC and SEC merger is coming as is 50% margin.

I am not taking sides here, but 50% margin on futures ? That sounds like something only Sara Palin would say.

I am not taking sides here, but 50% margin on futures ? That sounds like something only Sara Palin would say.

Sorry that you missed my exaggerating to make a point.

Actually SEC/CFTC merger has been frequently proposed, always by democrats. Also 50% margin has been at times discussed, especially after the crash of 1987 and the huge congressional outcry concerning "programmed trading". Futures were referred to as "fake securities"

by members of congress.

Probably the only thing that has prevented a meger has been the very strong futures exchange lobby. Given Obama's critical view on free markets and now given the relative ease with which markets can be "lost" to other regions, but particularly now with computer platform trading and the huge variety of new products, increasing futures regulation will enhance the probability that margins will be increased and traders will choose to trade elsewhere.

Were not Obama, Barney Frank, etc. pushing for greater regulation of the CDS's, mortgages, "streamlining" the CFTC and SEC (sounds like merger to me)

and the discussion of how markets "don't work" only recently? (when in fact it was the interruption of the free market that caused the problems in the first place). And specifically the CDS market can't be "controlled" because the Fed does not set Libor, for starters

Given much tighter regulation of the futures and forex markets and the disappearence of the "Chinese Wall", the hiking of margins on these products is not so far fetched. We are to be saddled with a democratic administration, house and senate. And, I strongly distrust the idea that members of congress actually have an understanding of securities, derivatives, futures, swaps, options, etc. in the first place.