Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Anyone Have Lasik Eye Surgery Done?

Hey BF

Its worth noting that 'blue light' causes retinal damage (Google it)

Bearing in mind that we traders are prolific VDU / TFT users, where in some way or form always bearing the blue (light & color) emmitions

As we get older there is high risk of Age related macular degeneration (AMD) recent stats shows almost 50% of people in western & advancing countries registered as blind shows Macular Degeneration

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/search.php?terms=eye&media=video

I am wondering to get my screen glasses tinted.

Best Luck

Minoo

Edited by minoo

I got it done a few years ago and it was like the biggest miracle for me to be able to see clear again! I highly recommend it! I do have astigmatism and at that time they weren't able to correct it. However, I have to tell you that with as much time as I spend on my laptop my eyesight has deteriorated since, but I am thinking of getting it done again, if I can. I'd say go for it. The surgery takes such a little time, really just a few minutes, and you see pretty clear just a few hours after the surgery. Again, to me, it felt like a miracle.

See someone who is very knowledgeable in this area. I mention this because there are several other "solutions" that have come about in recent years that may be a better fit. I'm in the research process right now (I have astigmatism as well), so we'll see.

I am also interested in Lasik but have been a bit hesitant to do so. My vision is extremely bad, -8.5 in my left eye and -9.0 on my right eye. Without contacts all I see is color variations.

angel... what happens if your vision deteriorates after Lasik. Can one get Lasik again? Also would you know what countries have the most advanced technology and skill set for such operation? Thanks.

I did Lasik many years ago and it was honestly a great, great thing -- the world changed big-time --- ie, seeing street signs clearly, movies clearly, no more eye fatigue from contacts etc....

I highly recommend this procedure -- you are out of commission for about 36 hours -- very strange sensation where very blury vision -- but all it did was make me very sleepy so I slept most of that off and was fine 2 mornings after an afternoon procedure.

When I did it, it was $2,500 per eye -- this was 2001. My vision today is still excellent. In the video they make you watch, they say there is nothing it can do for things like long-term reading of small print -- that just goes with age and you will need reading glasses for that someday --- but this procedure was life-changing good for me. Honestly, everything was so clear felt like I was on drugs and world was 3x better looking than before.

I feel that the risks of complications or visual artifacts are still a bit too high. I'm probably far to risk adverse (interesting observation on a trading forum).

There are figures for some stuff but the visual artifacts like 'haloing' are kind of subjective and I have not found much statistic wise.

Dry eyes seem to be pretty common (I guess most would consider that acceptable). I am prone to odd eye 'issues' now and then so this actually weighs heavier for me than others perhaps .

Lots of info on the interweb, the Wiki entry is pretty good (mind you I am a wiki fan rather than hater, a remarkable resource).

I was hesitant to post this link http://www.lasikcomplications.com/ as they seem to have an axe to grind....I guess started by someone who had problems. I dont want to put you off, but I am sure you want to go into this with your eyes open! (bad pun). A further scan through and there sources are quoted and even if you read it with the knowledge they have an agenda it still makes disturbing reading (to me).

I feel that the risks of complications or visual artifacts are still a bit too high.

I'm the same way BF. As of now, I will not be doing this. While the stats may say 95% are happy, there is some serious question about this statistic. And even if it was 95% that means there are 5% that come out on the bad end of this.

I've also read a few things of the 'newer' things coming post-Lasik and maybe that will be a little better.

For now, glasses it is for me. I just can't risk being part of that 5% or whatever the real # is.

I'm the same way BF. As of now, I will not be doing this. While the stats may say 95% are happy, there is some serious question about this statistic. And even if it was 95% that means there are 5% that come out on the bad end of this.

I've also read a few things of the 'newer' things coming post-Lasik and maybe that will be a little better.

For now, glasses it is for me. I just can't risk being part of that 5% or whatever the real # is.

Yeah I am more like a 1 in a 100,000 sort of guy. Anecdotally I know several people that are delighted with the procedure. To be honest glasses don't bother me too much as I am not much of a sportsman. Funnily enough I played pool Friday evening, thats kinda tricky.

Yeah I am more like a 1 in a 100,000 sort of guy. Anecdotally I know several people that are delighted with the procedure. To be honest glasses don't bother me too much as I am not much of a sportsman. Funnily enough I played pool Friday evening, thats kinda tricky.

Yeah, it's not a huge deal for me either as I can wear my glasses while playing golf or poker, and those are the 2 things consuming my time. I used to play football, basketball and softball but it's not very convenient to wear glasses in those sports, so have to wear those weird looking goggle things. Maybe that's why I've leaned towards playing poker more now recently... hmm... ;)

There has been a major development folks...they are called contact lenses. ;)

I realize some with astigmatism and other issues may have complications or not be able to wear contacts but for the majority they are great.

I've worn contacts since about 1990 myself. I hate how glasses feel and how you have no peripheral vision. I'm very happy I can wear them all day with no discomfort and dump the glasses. :)

I too thought about lasik but like you guys am not secure in doing that to my eyes. Too scary to think of the stop loss on that. ;)

Good luck

MC - tried the contacts thing twice now and each time couldn't get used to it. Don't know if it's the touching my eyes or when I rub them and the contacts fold over and stuck in the corner of my eye... but, just couldn't get used to it.

MC - tried the contacts thing twice now and each time couldn't get used to it. Don't know if it's the touching my eyes or when I rub them and the contacts fold over and stuck in the corner of my eye... but, just couldn't get used to it.

I was just jokin...I was sure you tried em. It's just logical.

Some peoples eyes don't let the lens sit right, I'm fortunate I guess and they fit perfect.

My eyes were so bad that I needed lens implants (veriseye) and Lasik touch up to get my vision 20/20. I don't regret the surgery one bit but with the lens implants there is an annoying transluscent line that is sometimes visible, kinda like a glare line. My pupils are a bit too big and I can see the edge of the lens in my vision when I am in front of the computer screen. While it is a bit annoying at times the freedom I feel from no glasses or contacts outweighs it.

Find someone who does alot of them...

Steer clear if you have bad astigmatism..

If you are nearsighted (cant see far) - you may be switching one set of glasses for another (pull out the reading glasses)

Every year you delay - the technology gets better. I was thinking of having it done several years ago during residency...now I just keep putting it off due to the continued advances. Will probably wait until I need reading glasses - that way I go from 2 pairs to 1 pair! (just say no to bifocals)

Just can't do it yet here. After watching some interesting vid's on youtube, it's just not worth the risk for me at this point. I'd love to get rid of these glasses, but my script is so weak that it's not a big deal at this point.

Hi all

Thought I would add my :2c: I work as a theatre nurse and our ophthalmologists agree they would not have laser eye surgery. But then again, our surgeons use a Toric intraocular len. One surgeon said you could correct the sight in one eye to fix prebyopia. I don't know anyone who has laser surgery, But I do have ophthalmic glasses that have eye pieces full of pin holes. The aim is to get your eyes to exercise and focus again. They were something like $28.00 in a healthfood shop, thought I would try here first, something natural! Anyway must be bed time now. Good luck with eyes and trading!!