Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

No US President Talk Around Here?

Maybe too touchy of a subject, but I don't recall seeing any threads about the US Presidential race.

I'll start us off w/ a great little youtube clip:

Now, before it turns into a McCain v. Obama discussion, isn't that just sad? Here are people that can vote and they will vote Obama for whatever reason, b/c apparently they know NOTHING about what he actually stands for... Wow... You can laugh or be scared. :doh:

I'm scared and outraged. Don't forget we have a ton of young voters of all colors going to polls this time who are just as uninformed as those in the clip. Oh and don't even get me started on the media. I used to think they were simply biased but now it's turned into outright corruption and abuse of their power. I'm disgusted.

Don't get me started on politics. In all reality, both parties have severe problems of their own. We have the most direct form of democracy in years, yet the typical voter is pretty clueless and can't handle the issues. The real power in Washington isn't what we see on t.v. The media helps many powerful lobbyists (some don't like to be called that) and politicians to prevent things from happening.

So in reality, we can all become educated and find flaws in both candidates.But at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter who we vote for. The two parties are so divided that it will be nearly impossible for either candidate to have a realistic shot at accomplishing anything they set out to do.

But what can I say, politics eats your soul. The ones who would do best shy away from the power. The ones who want power, become the politicians.

two things i do not discuss....politics and religion...because i am so far right i am left. mostly because everyone tends to get their "little" feelings hurt.

Actually when I was pretty young it occurred to me that this whole left right thing was flawed. A circular model seemed far more representative of what actually was going on.

Damn that's two posts in a political thread. Can I bar myself from the traders lounge?

two things i do not discuss....politics and religion...because i am so far right i am left. mostly because everyone tends to get their "little" feelings hurt.

You know it's interesting, I was VERY right for a long time. Now I found myself towards the middle, and I'm not even sure how that happened. In fact the majority of the country leans slightly right. Hence Karl Roves quest for Republican domination. That kind of back fired when everyone in the house (Republican and Democrat) started acting like little children who couldn't get along.

Also, when I talk to someone who clearly has no idea what they're talking about, I automatically take the opposite side. So if they are very conservative and talk like an idiot, then I act like I'm far left. I could be an Obama supporter, then when I hear someone say something incredibly stupid about McCain I will then proceed to to show them why they are an idiot and should never vote in their life.

All I REALLY know is that I have never felt so much anxiety over who will lead the US.

Too me, It just seems like I'm watching from the sidelines what the inevitable destiny that the universe will gravitate towards. Just my personal thought and feeling.

I admit I was a disillusioned by W and voted for Obama in the end. I originally support W's war in Iraq but when I found out the CIA flaw in confirming WMD's existence and W's willingness to go on his own judgement, it pretty much buried my support for him. Of course, it didn't help when the credit crisis finally came and wished all the money we had spent on would have come in handy to bail out the banks. I like McCain for his experience but he support most of W's agenda. My only concern is Obama's lack of experience. But anything in the different direction is better the direction the US is heading.

But that's all I'll say. I'm flexible in views and beliefs but gross incompetence is just unacceptable.

I

I like McCain for his experience but he support most of W's agenda. My only concern is Obama's lack of experience. But anything in the different direction is better the direction the US is heading.

But that's all I'll say. I'm flexible in views and beliefs but gross incompetence is just unacceptable.

Well as you state McCain supports most of W's agenda, what does that indicate, that despite his experience and what has unfolded in Iraq, he has not learnt much. And then there is his choice of his running mate:crap:, she thought this was all a movie show, would not have been a surprise had she won to come up with a strategy to unleash her most secret and lethal weapons to take care of all terrorist problems i.e. resurrect Rambo to take care of Afghanistan problem, Robocop to address Iraq, Terminator for N.Korea and enlist who else but the help of the british agent Bond, James Bond to go in and blow up all nuclear installations in Iran:rofl:

Obama may have been a novice to start with , however after 21 months of relentless, undivided attention of the nation and the world upon one individual and the gruelling drawn out campaign against battle heardened and experienced McCain and Hilary Clinton he certainly has emerged more experienced than most. His whole campaign was a masterpiece, dignity, poise, elegance and eloquence. He has displayed an unparalleled ability to inspire and now he has to show his ability to surround himself with the best of the talent available to address the problems facing US and the Globe. If he falters he is going to let down a lot of people all over the world who have been celebrating his victory, we will soon find out.;)

"Lack of experience" is not that much of an issue for me. Greenspan, after all, had loads of experience and nearly bankrupted the country (though there were plenty of other "experienced" people who were more than willing to help him do it). McCain alledgedly had loads of experience, but had no idea how to deal with the economic situation.

Obama appears to have the ability to find the right people, ask the right questions, and listen, the latter of which is in short supply, and not only in Washington. He also appears to have the ability to brush aside the extraneous and focus on the core of a problem, understanding that if one can't determine the cause of a problem, whatever "solutions" one comes up with are more or less trial and error, which is pretty much how we've been operating ever since we became a debtor nation.

Same problem in U.K, Gordon Brown recently accused opposition leader Cameron as being a novice who would have difficulty in handling the current crisis and that he was the most experienced, afterall he was at the helm for the past 10yr as chancellor.

Well he has now clearly shown that he has all the experience of GETTING THINGS WRONG :doh: There were no regulations in place for the banks who got into mess here by getting tangled up with the toxic subprime mortgage packages in US, unbridled greed ran rampant in the city of London, and nobody has been held accountable, the taxpayers have been forced to bail out the banks and shoulder the hefty mind boggling losses. Yesterday had a 1.5% rate cut which is only going to lead to inflation but Brown is already claiming victory over the crisis which as you say has just begun.

I may be stepping on a few feet by making this audacious observation but here goes. I think pure capitalism or free markets doesn't work without government regulation or partial governmental ownership over big corporations. In the 1920s there were no regulation in place and greed just took the country to the cleaners. This current crisis see us doing it again. Most pundits think the government was too big and controlling too much. This lesson only tells us again if we don't control greed, we all lose. The markets will figure out and play itself out as the argument would say. Obviously, it does and it seems to be working, unfortunately, we're going down to the drain with the weakest of the fittest. It's too big to fail, so we bail them out. I would prefer them staying small or be heavily regulated if they are too big because we all fail if they fail. We have to go beyond anti-trust laws and put in anti-humongous laws to safeguard the rest of us if they fail.

I took a first-time voter to the polls this time, and part of my instruction to him was that if he did not know about an issue to skip it over. I am much more comfortable with someone not voting than their casting a ballot in ignorance. He had several blank spaces on his ballot, but he said what he had wanted to, on what he cared about, and that's what counted most. *smile*

All I know for sure is that there is a long road ahead of us now, and I am anxious to see where that road takes us as a nation.