Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

minoo

Charting the Past Bears

Bear Market Phases

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/07/bear-market-phases.html

Decades of Bear

S&P 500 comparision with Nikkie

Scared the Doogle$ out of me

http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2008/10/s-500-crash-count-compared-to-nikkei.html

What the heck is going on presently (6:00 AM EST 24 Oct) at S&P 855.25 Globex only session stuck their for over an hour ?

Enjoy Minoo

Hey TrderBG you are welcome

Even without looking at the charts, this bear will be a big one. Personally I don't think the Dow will climb above 10,000 in the near future and I think the Nikkei will also stay below 10,000 for quite some time to come.

Is the Bear feeling Bullish today

After the dip below 2002 line ?

Have we got the first cheek of the bottom ?

Time to trade off your Inverse-ETFs or atleast Hedge them

Oh those dividend yields makes me an weak-bear

Would like your opinion

Thanks Minoo

Edited by minoo

Worth noting this bear has entered not only the area of the previous bear market of Oct 02

But also the Zone created by the rising Trendlines drawn from the bear market lows of Oct 87 & Aug 82 (Cyan & Blue lines)

There are seldom any Weekly Gaps but this Bear have got three of them not very visible on chart (magenta dashed lines)

The horizontal yellow line is drawn from the Oct 02 low,

Will the Trader Vic 2B Signal (Re: Suri) lift us out of this area ?

Move down from the 500 MA to 900 MA is off 253.37 points

(1227.12 - 973.75)

If you believe in Symmetry than the next low could be projected at 720.38

(900MA - Leg_Down, 973.75 - 253.37)

Any charts / comments welcome

Enjoy Minoo

Bear-MonthlyChart-Nov08.thumb.PNG.0b02640bd7cc53fcbf7531c145b0637b.PNG

BearWeekly-Nov08.thumb.PNG.95c41db445a7f095f07433852df43ca2.PNG

Reply from Suri on the 2B Signal (refer previous post chart above)

+----------------------------+

Hi Minoo,

Thanks for your email...

I looked at the Monthly chart of $INX.

In order for 2B to form/confirm, within the next few bars, price must trade close the bar it breaks the prior low. On a Monthly chart, the high of the current Monthly bar is 1007.5, which is about 200+ points from now.

I am not sure about 2B here but your TL analysis might be good...

+------------------------------+

Thanks Suri, much appreciated and Congratulations man!

Regards Minoo

Comparing Bottoms of 003 & 009 !

Extract from the below URL By Chris Vermeulen

+---------------------------------------------+

The charts below will really open your eyes as to how similar today's W looking bottom is to the W shaped bottom in 2003. Of course 6 years later the markets trade and move faster than ever before because of technology allowing traders to track and trade stocks from anywhere with a click of a button. So this years bottom formed much quicker.

Traders, individual investors, hedge funds, financial institutions and even some of the guys on CNBC are starting to buy stocks and etfs (exchange traded funds) at these price levels. I remember the market bottom in 2003 and it was much similar to the type of energy buzzing these past few weeks. Of course there is a lot more drama with Obama as president, Printing US Dollars, Scandals and bad news hitting the market day after day. But what makes all this normal is that it cannot get much worse in the news and everyone is expecting it for months to follow. Traders and investors don't even flinch when bad news comes out anymore and to top it off the SP500 has formed the same pattern it did during the last bear market bottom in 2003

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article8661.html

Scroll down a page to view the charts

Enjoy Minoo!

Edited by minoo

the SP500 has formed the same pattern it did during the last bear market bottom in 2003

He neglects to mention, however, that the bear market ended when and how it did due to the creation of the RE bubble. What bubble is going to save us this time?

Thanks for the reminder, here is the update of the previously posted weekly chart

I have added the 1200MA and one more fib retracement to find the confluence

Confluence appears to be in the zone of 680

(two fib retracements and rising TL from 31Aug1982)

S&P have closed (770.05) first time below the rising trendline (Cyan in chart) drawn from the 23Oct 1987 and just above the low of Oct2002 (Yellow line) at 768.67; But this week bar has left gap above!

Db I will let Chris get back to you, hope you have not miss out the concluding para of his article though.

Enjoy Minoo

5aa70eb3c82a4_SPWeeklyBearUpdated22Feb09.thumb.PNG.1d1b75a5688ea820d978c9c74c033484.PNG

Db I will let Chris get back to you, hope you have not miss out the concluding para of his article though.

Nope, didn't miss it. However, another pundit stated that we would be "rocketing" higher at the red line:

attachment.php?attachmentid=9533&stc=1&d=1235392898

As for what traders, investors, etc, are doing, they've been trying to support the market since last March, so whatever buying they're doing now is not necessarily a harbinger of Spring.

The market can as always do what it wants, and will, even to the extent of turning on a dime. But I would not start buying up stocks and ETFs just because the guys on CNBC are doing so or because a couple of patterns appear to match. When the bottoming process begins, there will be more than enough time to jump aboard what will likely be a very slow-moving train.

:)

Image3.gif.4f4fbc6431acc79f67dd74214c9ed8a8.gif

DB,

I completely agree with you opinions and outlook. My article simply showed how we are currentin showing similar chart patterns as we did on most other bottoms. I'm not saying its a bottom as we cannot have a bottom until the banks get sorted out. But this is a good place for some long term cash to be put to work for those who are not active traders. We could get one more leg lower before things go higher, but some of the dividend funds are paying 10-17% dividends making them a pretty good investment for the average Joe if they want to average down and earn some dividend income on top of what ever gains happen in the next 4-5 years.

Most of us on here are active traders so waiting for a bottom and taking advantage of it using leveraged funds like TNA, FAS etc.. once things turn around gives us tones of time and opportunities.

Happy Trading

Chris

DB,

I completely agree with you opinions and outlook. My article simply showed how we are currentin showing similar chart patterns as we did on most other bottoms. I'm not saying its a bottom as we cannot have a bottom until the banks get sorted out. But this is a good place for some long term cash to be put to work for those who are not active traders. We could get one more leg lower before things go higher, but some of the dividend funds are paying 10-17% dividends making them a pretty good investment for the average Joe if they want to average down and earn some dividend income on top of what ever gains happen in the next 4-5 years.

Most of us on here are active traders so waiting for a bottom and taking advantage of it using leveraged funds like TNA, FAS etc.. once things turn around gives us tones of time and opportunities.

Happy Trading

Chris

On the other hand, the dividends may not and will not likely hold if prices fall further. Therefore, I can't concur that this is a "good place to buy".

But then, it's not my money.:)

Everything was negative today again, Played the Morning Gap close and than short on to Globex low, pretty much the same drill which I did last week. Though my expectation have grown towards the 'Bear Market Rally'. Waited right till the end and than went long on S&P 741.75 after big-brother NYSE close and the Algos started to kick in Buy Progs. This is the second time I have taken this contradictory action from my running Bear Market Trading Plan

After the market close I went quickly browsing for some info on 'Bear Market Rally' to may be justify my actions, results to be or maybe reason for a good night sleep, whatever .. . blah blah .... blah .. .

I came across this excellent site http://dshort.com/

Absolute worth checking out, short briefs and very intuitive charts on below topics:

-Four Bad Bears (also check the CPI adjusted chart below)

-Bottoming out process (brilliant interactive chart for base comparision)

-Regression to trend (what can I say .. .)

Got to review these charts again with fresh mind and add to journal some stats

I am not sure of my closing action or of my swing targets yet, though scale in orders are in place; Got to take responsibility and play it out in the same consistent style.

May have jump the gun.

Goodnight All

Enjoy Minoo

http://greatday.com/v.html?2217507MRpn8

Another good & dare I say timely article by Andre of MarketTurningPoints.com

http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/Article9036.html

I like his take on Projections and Breadth

(MACD on NYSE A/D line ?, something to check out here .. .. .)

Enjoy Minoo

http://greatday.com/v.html?2218g07MRpn8

Note: A better version of the same was found on below website

http://www.safehaven.com/showarticle.cfm?id=12667&pv=1

Edited by minoo

Apart from the various newsletters and pundits and gurus, what does your own analysis tell you? Looking at the chart, and only the chart, without any indicators or calculations of any sort,

1. what do you see as the next level of support, if we fail to rally here, and why?

2. what is the likelihood that we will rally and why?

3. if we do rally, how far do you think we might get and why?

I don't mean for this to sound like a quiz, but I'm much more interested in what you think than in the opinions of the usual professional technician.

One other point. Chopping up charts in order to support a conclusion at which one has already arrived is easy to do and common and dangerous. Each bottom is unique, and one must evaluate what is happening in his own market in his own time in order to determine when and where and how the bottoming process is unfolding. There then remains the equally and possibly more difficult task of deciding what to do about it.

Hi Db

On the intraday side I have now become an cautious and reluctant Bear and will go grazing more willingly with the bulls

I think the bear has made enough headway on the south path for the time being

In market nothing remain in unidirection so far we had a good run in this direction

So its simply time / cycle for me this week to be more contradictory and look out for change. 740 is a good area for me to look for an rebounce (anticipating Volatility as well)

Simply put, I will scalp the short side and swing the long side

Below is another good article by Ray he uses MP, Delta and Normalised Vol to give an perspective on the present Bear's stance

http://www.greenfaucet.com/print/6188#

Enjoy Minoo

Thanks for asking Db

Just anticipating an corrective cycle / phase to this Bear run

I would say time and cycle from an area

but be aware of the News & Volatility

Best thing for me is not to form any BIAS but be clear about my preferences

As I said earlier I will Scalp with the Bear South of 740 and Swing with the Bulls North of 740, and implement an no trade zone around it.

Hope this helps

Good trading to you all

Minoo