Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Given our location in the daily and the LH in the hourly in premarket I really thought we were gonna go down. But we did not, buyers seem to like this market above 30 and screwed my plans :).

1. At the open buyers tried above 40 and failed and then tried below 35 and also failed, by 9:45 they had formed a hinge. They broke out of the hinge on increased vol and in a cascade (not sure how to call a cascade up, any suggestions are welcome), I did not take that long because of the fact that we had already formed the opening range and were still inside it.

2. AFter the opening range was cleared I awaited for the first RET, but it was rapidly SCR, I think I SCR too early.

3. The fact that I was out and prices were still climbing led me to take the long at the next RET, but this one failed rapidly calling for a SCR.

4. Well, they definitely did not want it above 49 and the trend that started at the BO of the hinge was reversed, so, I awaited for the RET and took the short. At first it worked just fine, until we reached the OL and buyers decided that at 32 this was again a bargain, given that I am aiming for a trend and I am working on holding my guns I wanted to wait for a RET to form before exiting this trade, but the RET was pretty deep it went all the way to 50% of the downwave, but it bounced back down there. so I decided to let it fall and see if it would reverse again and make a LL or it will make a HH and break LSL, The first alternative would keep me inside a trade in a trend day, the second one would signal another range day, I was not interested in trading the second alternative so I decided to await for a confirmation of an uptrend before exiting, and that happened a couple of minutes later. I included the green diamond to point the exit point according to my interpretation of SLA. Had I taken that and avoided the next long (at 50%) I would have saved myself 5 points.

5.There was a strong influx of volume at 10:50 as buyers absorbed all that was available between 46 and 50 taking prices above the OH, so I decided to wait for the next RET and buy, but it was short lived and rapidly SCR, It was almost 11, and I had hit my daily loss limit, so no reason to stay any longer.

Edit: Included the 20 tick "wave" chart.

5aa71224935b4_NQ06-14(1Min)22_05_2014.jpg.a9f7c9fc968cbcf29812a95be6e0c3ba.jpg

5aa712249da03_NQ06-14(20Tick)22_05_2014.thumb.jpg.5c35280e7990d95d50d027ebfb947816.jpg

Edited by Niko

RTH open inside a tr between 34 and 40. NQ went in first minutes from almost the lower boundary till the upper, rejected and back down again to lower boundary.

1. And there I took a short at the lower boundary after what I read as a breakout and mini ret which is not visible in the 1min chart but it is on a smaller bar interval chart. It went nowhere and exited when it was clear that it was not going down.

I waited for a ret after the break above 40ish and I took a long at 2.

2. I was not happy to take it just at the ov high and after some minutes it was stopped when NQ was back down into the range.

3 There I took a short after a ret. There are two exits, first is a partial at 34.50 lower boundary of the range and lod and exit of the remainder when lows rejected with big volume and was clear that they were not going south and back to 37 (mean of 40-34 channel) or 40 (mean of 35-47ish ov and rth range).

4 I decided not to take the ret marked by the blue circle since it was in the mid-mean of the range.

5. NQ formed what I saw as a hinge and then came two options for a long marked by the yellow circles. I passed on both since I have decided to wait for either a clear break of the range 47-34 or a good reversal opportunity at the boundaries. Now in hindsight I am thinking that this looks like a good long in what could be read as rets after the exit from a hinge, but I am unsure about this (?)

6. I did not take the ret marked by the dark red circle because of the time of the day and also finding the wave very extended and do not like to enter these kinds of trades, specially at the breakout of hod/lod. I passed, calling it a day

5aa71224a4d43_1405221mpost.thumb.PNG.5ead58ef0737207ca8d3c39741682e03.PNG

Area 1. Price broke above 40 and out of the hinge from the open. Reasons for taking this trade was because it is a typical SLA trade. Pretty straight forward. Reasons why I did not take this trade was because I had 45 as a prev swing high and the recent upper most level above which no trades were found. price got there and rapidly rejected it. Price then hesitated and in my mind taking that trade we would be playing the BO of the swing and given the behavior of the ticker I passed on that. I suppose at that point I was waiting for it to fail essentially and then look for the short op instead of playing what was in front of me. The trade could have been scratched and then the short taken which is essentially what happened next.

Area 2. I was watching price hesitate and it did not seem to want to go higher yet was inching higher and higher. The reason I took this was because I said ok we are now above 45 here is another RET if we don't pop off on this one i'll scratch for a small loss then look for the short op or if we get a fast REJ after the DL break i'll take the dog. Price popped for a second then came back and I scratched the trade. Reasons I should not have taken the trade was essentially not following my own rules 1. taking the first RET which I did not and 2. not taking the subsequent RET as the first entry into a move. Price was hesitating and did not decisively break the swing high. What does that tell you?

Area 3. In my mind what goes on when a line breaks is I kind of simultaneously think about dogs and the entry in the opposite direction. On this I did put in a buy entry first. Typically what I have found is there are differing breeds of dogs. This type of dog or anticipated dog is more of a quick rapid rejection after the line breaks leading to a continuation. Context definitely comes into play with dogs in general. Once we failed to move anywhere close to my entry order I flipped instantly to the short side and took that short to the bottom of the range. On the exit...my initial thought was since we fired off into the bottom and then stopped for the most part right at the bottom I was going to exit right at 33 leaning more towards playing the range game. Essentially doing that would have only gotten me another 2.5 points which if we continued and broke through the bottom making an "extra" 2.5 points would have most likely been less than what could have been achieved if we continued lower. I waited for a tighter SL to break before exiting in case there was to be a bounce vs. a break.

Area 4. After the tiny hinge broke I was thinking short which would not have been triggered. Since after the hinge broke and we broke another DL and then the short was not triggered I started to think if this is another breed of dog. We also held above 45 and were not too interested in going to far below the new high of 48. This caused me to consider a long trade. Reasons for not taking the long was a bit more of uncertainty and maybe continuing on moving sideways for that moment in time. Being unsure (not that one can ever be fully sure) but more unsure caused me to not take it.

Area 5. Here if a tighter SL was drawn after the tiny hinge this would be a typical SLA trade. Still considered sideways movement so I passed however this was the first break RET for a long while generally moving up for the day and we were still trading above the dark gray DL. 48 was rej and I suppose this could have and should have been taken with the expectations of get to 55/57 at the least.

Question:

What do you guys do with trades that are not triggered? Do you take the other side as a dog? Do you wait for the next break/RET? Would you considered a trade that is not triggered doglike action?

5aa71224ac941_NQ06-14(1Min)5_22_2014.thumb.jpg.bdcf0ff6e67f82571d4b660817473501.jpg

To keep myself focused this will be my monk chant.

Line breaks...what is happening? How (ticker energy) and where (context)?

.........NEXT.........

Opposing SLA entry? Why? Dog continuation? Why? Sideways do nothing? Why? If in, hold or exit? Why?

.........NEXT.........

While keeping in mind context/overall wave structure

- speed, duration, extent

- 50%, LSH, LSL

Make this robotic remembering this is traders able/unable to find/make trades. Follow this day after day and if you don't know why or why not do nothing and wait.

To help become robotic through replay and study answer these questions.

Where is the RET taking place?

- How are into the move?

- What is the context? (prev swings, ranges, trend, 50%s, means, extremes)

How is it taking place?

- Hesitant?

- Slower or faster then preceding movement?

- erratic, bouncy, jumping around?

- plunging/rocketing?

- is it clean?

What are traders thinking?

- Are they changing their minds and heading in the opposite direction?

- Are they changing their minds and heading in the original direction?

- Compare these answers to the descriptions of hows and wheres

- If traders do not enter with the RET what does that tell you?

- Again use hows and wheres to help answer

- Use failed entries/entries not triggered as clues

- How far does price have to go to give traders the opportunity to participate?

- 50%, LH, HL, DB, DT

- How far is too far?

- At what point does price reverse?

- Where are traders unable to find trades?

- Where are they likely to find them?

- If they can not find them in one direction is there a change in behavior trading in the other direction?

- What is the change? (How and where).

I have needed more structure to my whole approach. It has gotten better but still is off. With continual study through replay and utilizing my "chant" my goal is to reduce/eliminate my tendency to handcuff myself with over analyzing what is in front of me. I want to have a far better understanding of my baby...the NQ.

Thanks to DB, Niko, and KP for their comments/help thus far.

Okay day today. I missed the trade back into the range after the open, but the rest of the day was good. I tried to keep to mainly SLA entries, although we had reversal options at the extremes of the range.

1. At the open we stayed within our tight morning range of 34 to 40. we eventually moved to the upper side of the range, before breaking out above 40.

2. The first retracement is near to the overnight highs, but I placed a short and let price decide where it wants to go. After reaching 48, it fell back and broke the demand line triggering the exit.

3. We had a retracement soon after for a short, which made a steady move to the overnight lows, before turning and exiting. A good, by the rules SLA trade.

4. After the retracementI entered a long which failed after a few minutes. I knew that we were beside the 50% point and having touble getting through before I placed the trade. An earlier retracement before the 50% would have been preferable, but I will take what appears.

After this is i didn't make any entries. We were close to the mean for a long while even though we were moving slowly upwards. It was 11am before the highs were broken, and there was not follow through from there.

5aa71224b2b01_22May2014.thumb.jpg.7e8983efd8a3034e3c7b95751564bb08.jpg

Yesterday I did not have time to post the replay of the session. In this case I took the exit from the hinge and closed the short as it failed to break below the OL.

Consider . . .

5aa71224b7791_NQ06-14(1Min)22_05_2014-replay1.jpg.6e0d910187acf890a71d431f9721caa9.jpg

Image1.png.ed7c137d610f13381096fd2662c23904.png

Edited by DbPhoenix

We continued our rise yesterday and are not far below the next highs at 69. A move above this leads us to the next potential resistance at 700 and above. But we have made large gains this week, and may be due a retracement. Our main congestion starts at about 24 if we get through more recent congestion.

Yesterday ranged from 31 up to 60, with a midpoint at 46. Before the close we moved back to 48 and have not passed that point again during the night in spite of several tests. I will watch for the action if price breaks below this point.

We reached a high of 55 in the early morning, and have fallen off since then. The range is fairly tight, so we should see a break not long after the open. As always we wait for the market to tell us which way it wants to go.

5aa71224be81c_23May20145Min.thumb.jpg.f241a451660bca5645a1e5906f50b637.jpg

Overnite traders have settled below 55 (PDH) and so far have failed to find more sellers below 47. The overal trend is still up, but we need to see if the open can take them above 55 or if sellers will find a new opportunity to unload at better prices.

If they can break above 55 I see some trouble around 76 and then above 700.

If they cant, then 30 and 14 are my first levels to watch.

This can also be a crappy day anyway and they could decide they don't wanna go anywhere, so be aware of this and get away from the chop.

Seems like the mean is currently at 50.

Once we broke above 48 yesterday that level has been holding since about lunch time of yesterday. There were no trades above 55 though the overnight. I am waiting for one of these levels to break then trade according. If up we'll see how price reacts at the most immediate swing high first of about 60 and if down we'll see if we get to 34 and what happens there. From there the other prices of interest have been previously posted.

This may be pertinent:

Image2.png.b9b2c3c01dfea23159d4e32bbae3ff43.png

Edited by DbPhoenix

It looks like an rth open inside an overnight tight trading range.

Areas and levels of interest:

5aa71224cbf2b_140522DPRE.thumb.PNG.7a3349fc57ad6cd25289d21ba30b9085.PNG

5aa71224d57e8_14052215PRE.thumb.PNG.1775ce9e0e83b55320abbd37c7da4652.PNG

Edited by Bern
error in date on the msg title

4. Well, they definitely did not want it above 49 and the trend that started at the BO of the hinge was reversed, so, I awaited for the RET and took the short. At first it worked just fine, until we reached the OL and buyers decided that at 32 this was again a bargain, given that I am aiming for a trend and I am working on holding my guns I wanted to wait for a RET to form before exiting this trade, but the RET was pretty deep it went all the way to 50% of the downwave, but it bounced back down there. so I decided to let it fall and see if it would reverse again and make a LL or it will make a HH and break LSL, The first alternative would keep me inside a trade in a trend day, the second one would signal another range day, I was not interested in trading the second alternative so I decided to await for a confirmation of an uptrend before exiting, and that happened a couple of minutes later.

Good idea. It will defintely capture the big trends when they happen. Nothing worse than closing a trade early for 5 pts, when 50 pts are made at the end of the trend.

Consider . . .

Thanks, I really wanted to see them making HHs before commiting again at the time, so even in replay I did not consider that one.

I just took 1 trade today.

Market opened inside tight trading range. First broke 55 which was upper boundary of that range and there was a possible entry there that I decided not take since it was just at the boundary.

It went till 59ish that was YH and rejected. I took a short at the ret after that rejection. If the dl was broken or not would depend on how tight was drawn. I was aware of this but I did not want to take the short lower than 55 since I would be entering them to close to a) the mean of the range 59-47 and b) the lower boundary of the inside range 55-50. It went down to 50.50 and rejected with big volume. After several minutes of lateral fight-indecision, I basically SCR.

That was it, since I did not see any really clear trade afterwards.

Maybe in the afternoon session....but it is already friday :);)

Have a nice weekend all!

5aa71224e08b8_14052315mPost.thumb.PNG.62f3c9a9e44d73d428541d209c1c68c1.PNG

5aa71224e83b6_1405231mPost.thumb.PNG.5fef060fba218a400382183993728ca7.PNG

Thanks. Just saw that comment actually.

For today no trades were taken and during the session only two shorts were considered.

Considered trade 1: Short. Price moved up to the prev. swing high and rejected it. We had a RET after that. Prior to the RET I saw price kind of popping off of 55 and then barely trading below it. This caused me to ponder whether we may head back up towards the swing high for another test. Given the behavior of the ticker and the fact that we would be trading back within the overnight range I passed. From the entry point to the mean of the ON would have been 2.75 points and to 48 would have been 6.25 points. Nothing too spectacular. Had we had broke thru 48 and traded lower and lower my thinking was that below 48 there would be some place to enter if there was to be a continued trend in that direction.

Considered trade 2: Short. Price did move lower and bounced from the mean twice. From where the first entry may have been taken to this point I felt as if the ticker was almost luring me in to short. I don't want to say tricking me because the market is not out to get me or fool me, but I don't know it's hard to explain what I was reading at that moment. Price was also holding 55 and did not want to trade higher so I considered a short. Did not take it for the same reasons I did not take trade 1. With the mean and 48 now even closer to where my entry point would have been I passed and waited to see what happened at 48.

From there no other trades we considered being that we began to play the range game and the range was only about 15 points wide. Price again tested the swing high and then moved sideways btw 55 and 60. I suppose waiting it out a long could have been taken once we started trading over 60 but even so at this point in time that trade would probably be only 6 points in profit if we waiting through lunch etc. We are continuing higher just at a snails pace, but higher nonetheless. It looks like we'll get to 70 but I'm not sure if they'll be enough juice for 80. Towards the close maybe we'll pop up. Who knows.

I think I am really starting to get a better understanding of how to incorporate AMT with SLA. Being patient and waiting for the extremes/potentially more important price levels (or at least what I view as an "extreme") definitely affords great opportunity with less risk. What I have noticed is that my tendency to over analyze and maybe even get a little anxious is far less when waiting for a particular price level. I feel this way for two reasons. 1. In waiting it gives me an opportunity to get a sense of direction/"feel" for how the day is going by if I had to compare it, moreso being back in observation mode, getting a sense for the activity/lack thereof. Much more relaxed not having to enter/exit,enter/exit and try to surf every twist and turn. 2. At a particular extreme behavioral differences can be noticed better and I'll say maybe somewhat "easier" (not that it's easy). If the ticker pace begins to change, waves start to change, lines are fanning or whatever at an extreme to me has been far more telling then trying to enter somewhere in between. If I can compare that to what DB used to say about volume and using it at S/R as opposed to when at a price of no particular importance or potential importance. It's to me like saving up my entries/stopouts at a level where I can gain nothing but information for winning and/or losing trades. SLA regardless definitely keeps you on the positive side of things and waiting I will miss some decent trades that SLA can grab but giving myself a bit more time rather then coming out with a gun slinging mentality is starting to give me more confidence/an understanding of what's going on in front of me.

I am going to work hard this weekend to get better at putting it all together.

5aa71224ed52b_NQ06-14(1Min)5_23_2014.thumb.jpg.933ec496ff163eecf6a18f1dc8b61fa3.jpg

I didn't do much today. We kept within yesterday's limits, and I only made 2 failed shorts. Maybe too conservative. I will review the week over the weekend from a distance to see if I am trading safe, or trading scared.

1. We opened by breaking out of our overnight range and moving up to test yesterday's highs at 60, where the price turned very quickly.

2. The price is overlapping a lot and doesn't suit the relatively tight stops that I need to make this work. No entries so far on the retracements.

3. We broke out of the bottom of the overnight range, and I was waiting for a short after the retracement. This was a dog that didn't want to leave its kennel.

4. Another test of 60, and another hold. This time we didn't reverse, but moved sideways. After we moved through the demand line I put a short on which initially loked like it was moving, but stopped out soon after.

5. Another short from a retracement that failed quickly. After this we hung around below the highs for the rest of the time with no great trades available.

5aa71224f2b5b_23May2014.thumb.jpg.e237fc42bd16c6a65d4d5ccfe667ebe1.jpg

Edited by Wolfhound

I couldn't post anything this morning as I had to run. So, here is my daily review.

I was really "hoping" this to be a better day, given the rest of the week I thought we would get to have a nice trend morning, but the morning pretty much sucked, well it sucked because I was not competent enough to take the REV 45 and hold .

In the end I had 2 scratches as RETs were much deeper that I am currently willing to absorb.

And given that the second trade was inside the range I just decided to give up for the day and save myself another SCR.

1. Buyers failed to find followers above 59 so I decided to wait for the stride of the uptrend from premarket to be broken, once that ocurred I waited for a RET, but sellers were not really into the move and their doubt allowed prices to test LSH, given my SCR rules I exited the trade on a 2 point loss. Given that we had a HL and a break of a SL long was the way to go SLAwise, but then I realized the had tested the upside already so I did not want to get trapped in a TR and avoided to place the trade. But, and this is a big but I noticed minutes after, buyers FAILED to make a HH after a SL break and a HL, so it was a Dog! hence a reentry was called for, but I did not take it.

Anyway the dog would have been SCR if taken as we had a VREV. Now at the moment I did not notice what ended up being extremely relevant in HS and that must be taken into account for future reference. As we hade managed to reach 59, we were actually confirming the uptrend in the hourly (prepwork) and what looked like a downtrend in the 1 minute, was just a RET that tested the SH of the 22nd at 45. See chart below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=38323&stc=1&d=1400884203

2. After this VREV "out of the blue :crap: " I knew I was trapped in the OR, but, just but, I thought, given the strength of the upmove, buyers seem committed and I could get away with it. But I didnt, I ended up SCR as the 10:00 volatility pushed prices points away from my entry.

At the time I said to myself " if they don't clear 59 I am not interested, but by the time they did I was already away.

Small.jpg.f2b03a8e1eb92558bf9d9784e67a6ca1.jpg

...but we need to see if the open can take them above 55..

...so far have failed to find more sellers below 47....

... The overall trend is still up...

... If they can break above 55 I see some trouble around 76...

I really need to start joining the dots, I realized I ignored the SH at 45, but given that we were in an uptrend the last "reaction high" was a level to take into account. Now, after reading my prep, taking the REV above 45 was not a risky trade out of the blue, it was a low risk high probability trade that was just above my "paygrade", but I cant ignore the fact that it was there so that when it happens again I am not so clueless about it.

I am attaching a Chart whith my HS notes, where I realized that if I can be more critical and keen regarding PA and I am able to introduce the subtle details of context in my decision making process I could achieve much more. But I guess, I am too focused on my entry just to be able to see the whole forest....

BTW, the chart is large so I am sorry, I cant make it smaller and transmit the message.

5aa712250845d_NQ06-14(1Min)23_05_2014-Anotherview..thumb.jpg.bf2bac8f7db8c000063bebb4831ff704.jpg

I really need to start joining the dots,

Looking at your chart and the annotations, a few things come to mind. I was also thinking this when I made the post to Emini's journal about buyers and sellers and transactions.

I notice on your chart you have phrases like "sellers don't want to mess with the previous day high" and "anyone there?". I know that Db is teaching us to look at the behavior, and I would never want to disagree with him, but I wonder if too much emphasis is being placed on what they want, as if we know. We essentially only know what those people who are buying and selling in that one minute want, but not the whole group. We don't know why some traders are buying and why some are selling (there are after all just as many buyers as sellers). I find that we may be going too deep into the meaning, and missing the important fact that price is either going up or down.

I know when I see a spike up in price that quickly comes down, I think buyers are rejecting this price level, only to have it breached a few minutes later. Because I am speaking on behalf of buyers and sellers, I am almost setting up too much of a bias that prevents me from seeing what is happening, what price is doing.

I feel as if right now I am trying to simplify, to take stuff away that I don't need because I am even having trouble following the damn SLA and making it work for me with just some simple rules. So although I think like you too, and price moving is a result of the behavior of traders, if I take away phrases such as what buyers and sellers want or don't want and just focus on seeing that "price spiked up a bit, came down, couldn't go lower, now went sideways, but stayed closer to the top of the range versus the bottom of the range", I am in a much better position to just see price and give my brain less to do.

Db will of course read this and be able to comment further or correct me, but I wonder if the small change of going from saying what buyers and sellers want, which is kind of trying to predict or explain, but rather just focus on saying what price did, which is focusing on being in the current moment, perhaps this will put us in a better frame of mind to see the bigger picture, to leave our brain more open to seeing price better, and to not be locked into a bias.

But I guess, I am too focused on my entry just to be able to see the whole forest....

This is kind of why I've decided I am going to focus on a particular level/levels then begin the SLA process. Essentially only focusing on entering around an extreme for example allows me to focus on the movement up or down to it and then when it's time see if there are changes in behavior at that level then switch more to entry mode. If that makes sense. Today would have been 60 and 48/45 for me. Given what happened on the ticker caused me to pass on most Typical SLA opportunities. The action at 45 has made me consider/investigate a faster interval when reaching a particular level preferably an extreme with the goal of getting as close to the "danger point" as possible. Since I didn't do anything at 45 my next plan was seeing if we broke above 60 and like you I was done by then. Had I entered a SLA trade off a 15s interval there would have been an entry near 48. I suppose this is still also all hindsight bc we could have stopped at the mean or again at 60 which we did for awhile before proceeding up. So was it worth it taking a trade near 48 if an exit was taken before 60 actually broke? I am putting in a ton of work this weekend but I am with you on connecting the dots.

I wonder if too much emphasis is being placed on what they want, as if we know.

Well, I agree, we dont know. But I think it is essential to understand behavior behind price action in order to be able to avoid the mechanical approach. Today was puzzling in RT for me and the SLA kept me with a couple of SCRs, but I am after the whole understanding of human behavior behind PA.

Things like the fact that we found buyers at the reaction high in the hourly escaped my mind at the moment, i was actually waiting for a RET to short, but that was a mistake in HS, a mistake that one could avoid in the future if one understands the "nature" of a trend and how humans react to these levels when in a trend.

Some days ago you pointed out something similar regarding reaction highs and lows in the 1 min chart. There is so much stuff we are currently leaving out of the picture that we need to incorporate if we are gonna turn this into a serious profession, so I am just taking note of what I think is important, I am not really going to act upon that in the next few days or in the next few months, but I know that by understanding what is happening with traders I know I am on my way of "thinking like Wyckoff" and in the end that is what I am after.

The last couple of weeks have been all about means and midpoints and hinges and reversals. There have been no trend channels nor have there been many well-defined trading ranges. AMT has become more important than SLA, particularly with regard to retracements since they tend to come late, if they come at all. The SLA still works, but only if one is willing to tolerate substantial recoils. There also seems to be a general short bias among you, and this has been inappropriate.

It is necessary to map out in advance potential areas and islands at which price may reverse, as it did off 45 this morning. If you get this posted by 0900, you may better be able to help each other.

As for the retracements, it is important to remember that price is continuous. Note the arrows I posted to Dave's chart. This is a perfectly good retracement and can be played just like any other.

It may also be necessary to hang around longer. 60 was obvious, but one had to wait for it. Whether or not the 16pts was worth it is up to the trader.

Image6.thumb.png.67b64e7f986f7cad98036dc8e4b47987.png

Edited by DbPhoenix

As for the retracements, it is important to remember that price is continuous. Note the arrows I posted to Dave's chart. This is a perfectly good retracement and can be played just like any other.

I'm not sure I understand this retracement. To go long after a SL break (although here its more of a REV because SL wouldn't be broken yet), we are looking for the top of a bar to be at least a tick below the top of a previous bar, hence our retracement, and then we put our Buy Stop at one point above the top of this lower bar.

In this example, you highlight the bottoms of the bars. Now I can see how in the bar with the first arrow, price finished on the low of this bar, and hence was higher where it opened, and the next bar, second arrow, price opens at this same level and then travels up, so our RET is there. But are you suggesting we go long one point above the lows of both of these bars, and hence our stop is filled within this second bar?

I will attach a 15 second chart which shows this RET off beautifully, highlighted by the pink square. Our entry could therefore be at 48, since the lows are at 47, but this then is a slightly different way to look at retracements than what we are doing with SLA when we use the one minute bars. (I am of course a fan of looking for the RET in a 15 second chart when you have good reason to believe you have a change in trend such as at a reversal and want to see that RET sooner. And of course since price is continuous and its only arbitrary that we use one minute bars to illustrate where price has been, its normal that the RET is sometimes burried within the one minute bar).

I drew in a green dot to show where the entry would be, if we are in fact using one point above the lows of this bar for our entry, and not waiting for the top of the bars to be one tick lower, as in our traditional RET which is highlighted by the second green dot.

Image6-edit.thumb.png.750195fd5158073d14508125828c606a.png