Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Accepted As A Trader/Speculator?

Does your family, spouse, gf, or friends accept or support you as a trader? This is a profession unlike many other professions. Most naive people will assume we are gamblers with a unstable income.

Also for some reason chicks dig investment bankers over traders. All comments are welcome! :)

I think, like many Traders / Speculators, I find that my family and friends do not know exactly what we do.

Until you have actually traded the markets yourself, it is difficult for people to appreciate the nature of Trading / Speculating.

However, I do find that my family dont mind spending the profits, yet they dont seem as keen to share in any losses!! Well, thats life.

Unfortunately I do not think Trading / Speculating will ever be recognised as a "proper" job.

For those who have no experience, it is seen as a rich mans form of gambling. For those who have done trading, it is a way to pit your wits against other market traders, and try to stay one step ahead.

While my family loosely understand what I do, they do not ask an awful lot of questions. Unless someone has a real interest in trading, and the markets, there is no point trying to teach them. It is in the blood.

I also have the same problem.

1. The family are clueless of what I do and are not supportive. They continue to tell me to find a job.

2. My friends are supportive but are absolutely clueless.

3. Strangers I meet are absolutely clueless to a point I have got tired of mentioning I am a futures trader.

4. GF's tend to think I am a gambler.

But honestly... who cares?

I actually asked my fiance that question just now, and she said, speaking of that why are you writing on the forum and not studying trading?

so I guess that is a yes. lol

My wife and eldest daughter describe me as a futures trader.

Thats defined as someone who spends a few hours a day trading the Hong Kong markets (sounds cool to Aussies apparently) over the internet and makes a lot more money than the wife.

My youngest daughter describes me as unemployed, useless or a bum, depending on her mood. She's 16 so that's as good as it gets currently. :)

Make sure your fiance knows that there is plenty of trading education here in the forums. ;)

HA HA YEAH REALLY SOUL.

I told her this is where we get together to discuss the markets, compare notes and otherwise learn...which is true! lol:p

My wife and eldest daughter describe me as a futures trader.

Thats defined as someone who spends a few hours a day trading the Hong Kong markets (sounds cool to Aussies apparently) over the internet and makes a lot more money than the wife.

My youngest daughter describes me as unemployed, useless or a bum, depending on her mood. She's 16 so that's as good as it gets currently. :)

Hi Kiwi,

Im curious to know why you decided to trade Hong Kong stocks?

Also if one was to get started in this market, do I need to open an account with a Hong Kong based firm?

thanks

Hi Kiwi,

Im curious to know why you decided to trade Hong Kong stocks?

Also if one was to get started in this market, do I need to open an account with a Hong Kong based firm?

thanks

I'm in Oz and didn't enjoy trading in the evening (Euro and European futures). Add to that an absolute abhorrence of trading after midnight so I needed something in Asia. When I started the SGXNK wasn't available so I decided to try the HSI. Eventually it stopped taking money and started returning some so its my market now.

Also, it has the best hours of anything ... 11:45 to 14:30 for the initial session and then 16:30 until news and drinks time for the second session.

Here's the reaction when people ask me what I do. I tell I'm a trading system programmer and sometimes a trader. As soon as I say it, silence takes over, and then conversation moves on to some other topic. If they bother to ask, I think they'd be bored to death listening how prices moving up and down.

Other times, I'd tell them I'm a programmer, another silence. I try to simplify things but still get blank stares. The only they know is a guy sitting in front of the computer all day. But surprisingly, they notice I have a lot of free time, never stick to a fixed schedule and always seem to show up picking up and drop off my kids, at many school events, most times with a 3-day stubble in jeans and t-shirt. Personally, I think they think I'm a bum or a liar. Suits me fine. This keeps the fakes and wannabes out of my path and sincere and honest people coming who bother to find out what I really do ;). That's one thing I try to instill in my kids is things are never what they seem.

ha ha nice quote torero.

I agree, people just don't have the ability to grasp what a trader is, or they have this preconceived notion that everyone that trades is some crazy maniacal gambler or something, like it's the 1840's Gold Rush or something. It's funny how people react when you mention trading.

haha.. yea I gave up telling people I am a futures trader. The usual reaction is "What?" Then I tell them I trade commodities.

Then their response would be what kind of commodities? I tell them index futures. :p

haha.. yea I gave up telling people I am a futures trader. The usual reaction is "What?" Then I tell them I trade commodities.

Then their response would be what kind of commodities? I tell them index futures. :p

ha ha ha I seriously was laughing out loud about that...it is such a realistic conversation. ha ha