Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TraderBG

Market Uncorrelated to ES?

I would pull up charts and see for yourself BF. I watch these markets daily and do not see a regular correlation/inverse correlation that shows up w/ any regularity.

There was a time a year or more back where Oil and the ES were inversely correlated almost daily. Was a beautiful thing but of course that did not last too long.

Dunno they seem to be to me...but correlation is in the eye of the beholder (unless you use some sort of statistical analysis which is probably well worth while if you are 'serious' about the endeavour). Oil has been going up and the ES down (until recently) that seems like an inverse correlation to me :)

Makes sense you pull money out of stocks where do you put it? Certain commodities, I dunno oil seems to have joined the ranks of the metals and what not from that point of view. Seems like there are better (less correlated) candidates to consider.

As you say things change and cycles get out of sync. I presume that original poster wants un correlated risk? I'd be apprehensive being long oil and short stocks (or vice versa). I wouldn't know how to calculate correlation without looking it up. Maybe a job for a statistician or someone with a quant background?