Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Trade Up

Do you ever consider the Beta of a Stock before you invest?

I have looked at many different elements to trading, but one which I have not seen mentioned on the Forum is Stock Betas.

The beta of a stock is the correlation the stock has with the market (or any other method of comparison, e.g. interest rates, etc). A strict definition of correlation is :-

A correlation is a single number that describes the degree of relationship between two variables

A beta is not a fixed number, and is based on historical data which will change going forward.

I am going to leave the rest fairly blank, as I always think it is interesting to hear peoples views, without leading them in a certain direction.

Diversification and betas are very closely linked, if you buy a number of stocks. You can integrate different betas to give a different angle on the market.

One stock beta in itself has the potential to be more volatile, although there are stocks with a beta which will follow the market closely, some perform directly opposite to the market.

If you are a trader, you should really be looking at betas.