Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

atto

Chat Junkies

Re: All you need is a chart

Hahaha, you guys are hilariously awesome.

He's lucky we had such a nice trending day that kept me in a good mood today... You don't want to catch see me on bad days!

RE All you need is a chart

if that guy has anything to actually bring to trading he will show up in the live room. Something tells me he won't tho.

Edited by stanlyd

NYSE:

Up Volume 3,546,250,361 (87%)

Down Volume 501,057,332 (12%)

Unchanged Volume 28,447,590 (1%)

NASDAQ:

Up Volume 1,324,206,097 (90%)

Down Volume 129,504,182 (9%)

Unchanged Volume 10,769,831 (1%)

RE All you need is a chart

if that guy has anything to actually bring to trading he will show up in the live room. Something tells me he won't tho.

Remember the kid who went on and on about "hidden" buyers and sellers or whatever it was and had a website where he was selling his system and we kept pushing him to come to the chat room and demonstrate how he traded all this hidden stuff and he finally agreed to come and didn't and was never heard from again?

In any case, 868 makes all his money in a few seconds with huge size, so I doubt there'd be anything to show in a chat room. He'd be all done by 0935 anyway.

Okkkay, charts.

Indexes broke the mid-late December congestion area on lower volume (which is to be expected around holidays, and a Friday). However, volume is increasing, and the thrust out was much quicker than the slide down. As FW pointed out, it was a 90% uvol day. On the flip side, $NAUD is showing a divergence compared to the last high in this congestion.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8992&stc=1&d=1230939221

Our friend, Crude (looking at USO, specifically). We've continued to attract huge volume (on the holidays, no less). The last swing low has been broken, but we're right at a supply line from late Nov. The next potential area of resistance is $40ish. On our hypothetical short, I would scale out on the break of the supply line (if not already done so at break of last swing low).

attachment.php?attachmentid=8993&stc=1&d=1230939221

ndx.PNG.d59b45f68a3ca9c5ef29c29478533232.PNG

uso2.PNG.e9baeb101211aedb7a8bc376a5ce0618.PNG

A few adds to the honorable atto's superlative commentary.

This chart isn't much different to what I've posted previously, so I won't bother to redraw the boxes. However, the "POC" line is worth noting, as is the convergence of the channel line with the last November swing point at 1400. As to the channels, I'm still not persuaded as to their reliability. However, lots of people do watch them, and there must be some self-fulfilling prophecy dynamic going on there. In any case, they do serve to track changes in momentum. What is most important, however, is a break through congestion, which we appear to have accomplished today, though volume, 90% or not, was pretty anemic.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8995&stc=1&d=1230945288

As to the NAUD, it is useful also to look at the NAUPV and NADNV separately. One can often gain insights there which might otherwise be overlooked.

attachment.php?attachmentid=8996&stc=1&d=1230945405

Image1.gif.69653740f17deb45cbab3884cd6c8c9b.gif

Image2.gif.fc47bc1a36347ed0db53a494bda255ea.gif

Whoops, just realized the USO supply line I referred to wasn't on the chart. Doh, updated (dark blue)..

attachment.php?attachmentid=8997&stc=1&d=1230951982

Db, so you'd say the divergence isn't that noteworthy, since $NADNV was less than on the previous highs anyways, so it's not as though the bears are piling in? Chart:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8998&stc=1&d=1230951982

uso2.PNG.c28c1ceab22aec40ce1a5ff075b9b612.PNG

nadnv.png.c8a05696c3fdc027d88fb068e08bd6c7.png

Db, so you'd say the divergence isn't that noteworthy, since $NADNV was less than on the previous highs anyways, so it's not as though the bears are piling in? Chart:

attachment.php?attachmentid=8998&stc=1&d=1230951982

To me it's noteworthy, though perhaps for other reasons. We commented throughout the day on how far price was going on so little volume. There seemed to be little or no resistance on the part of sellers to the advance. These charts bear that out. And the fact that "up" volume was less than it had been on the previous efforts (in red) suggests that the victory did not mean quite as much as it would have if it had been hard-won.

This doesn't mean that there may not be a hell of an advance, but I don't believe we're done, any more than we were done with the "selling climax" discussed in the SC thread.

Edited by DbPhoenix

For use today as a reference point, the "test" of the 12/11 low was not quite as decisive on the NQ as on the NDX (posted earlier by atto). What any of this means, of course, beats the hell out of me, but it should make for an interesting day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9014&stc=1&d=1231163241

Image1.gif.5380dd7e94b30ff72886d4403fc7c000.gif

I didn't do sufficient homework (blame it on the holidays). It may be coincidence that the high for today coincided with the midpoint of the range either side of 10/20, but there was also quite a bit of congestion after 11/6 around that point. But 1250 is still important, as is now today's high, then 1300 and the entire zone between that and 1350. Quite frankly, I don't think the bulls have it in them, but we'll see.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9027&stc=1&d=1231204491

Image2.gif.3ae5538bfd1feb9f84faf2a270daab57.gif

I thought it would be interesting to post my NQ chart as well with the timeframe regressions I have been talking about as of late. SO here we are looking at the longeer timeframe (purple) the last bear push (green) and the current "trend" up(blue).

Again I just think it's another way of looking at it, not that it's for everyone but it's what I do.

What I kind of focus on is the slopes. You see the green line is starting to turn positive but it's not yet. So as these blue line folks push it, that green line acts as a nice bouncy board. Once they both are positive then we will look for a attempt to "battle and and a pullback. If the pullback holds then the green line folks are out of the picture, but till then I still watch that point of regression. It's not really as simple of coarse as blue line ,green line, etc, but I think it's gives a more general scope of market flow.

Of coarse the longer term (purple) is nowhere near positive yet.

Have a good evening guys. See you in the AM.

5aa70ea6949b6_Picture2.thumb.png.b02ae1a80d95918029a472388564dc3c.png

Edited by stanlyd

I thought it would be interesting to post my NQ chart as well with the timeframe regressions I have been talking about as of late. SO here we are looking at the longeer timeframe (purple) the last bear push (green) and the current "trend" up(blue).

Again I just think it's another way of looking at it, not that it's for everyone but it's what I do.

What I kind of focus on is the slopes. You see the green line is starting to turn positive but it's not yet. So as these blue line folks push it, that green line acts as a nice bouncy board. Once they both are positive then we will look for a attempt to "battle and and a pullback. If the pullback holds then the green line folks are out of the picture, but till then I still watch that point of regression. It's not really as simple of coarse as blue line ,green line, etc, but I think it's gives a more general scope of market flow.

Of coarse the longer term (purple) is nowhere near positive yet.

Have a good evening guys. See you in the AM.

nice chart stan. when you say green line i'm thinking your talking about the longer downward sloping regression line (light green) and not the down sloping dark green ma.

Regression lines are a great way to wean beginners away from an exclusive focus on trendlines or moving averages to show trend. It depresses me to see how many traders, after a certain point, are no longer able to tell whether the market is going up or down. Thier moving averages can become a nest of snakes, and their trendlines can wind up looking like Pik-Up-Stix. Regression lines can put them back on the straight and narrow, even if they don't choose the absolutely correct high and low for the line.

Tried to post this to the chat room, but the files tab wouldn't work:

I have that problem frequently. Logging out and back in usually resolves it.

About the chart...

(a) how about considering the whole move as a bigger pullback after breaking below 1247-1250?

(b) green dot is potential long, but what with resistance so close?

© and what's at 1240 hmm...

nqhinge.GIF.277d7d06a4ad6642ea7688a5b9e4f752.GIF

Yes, Hakuna.

(a) That would work.

(b) Well, that's why I didn't take the earlier short. I try to avoid learning the same lesson too many times. As it turned out, it was worth only a few points, but what the hell.

© Good question.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9045&stc=1&d=1231344610

This hinge ended up going for a few points, pulling back to the midpoint (to the tick), and then going another 10. If I took it (I didn't, so know it's hindsight), it went far enough that I'd be out on the break back past the hinge's high (somewhere in 47 NQ). To take the midpoint long again, I'd need some sort of confirmation that the area would be viable to attract bulls again. This came right before the open, when price bounced hard off... you guess it, 45 NQ. 45 also gave a little resistance at 10:30 est. Fwiw, later, price bounced again off 45.

I said in chat that I'd provide an example of how to use a tick divergence (using in my case the TICKQ). There are a number of examples in the Dailies in my Blog, but today is fresh in the minds of those who were there.

There are going to be many divergences between the tick and price throughout the day. But you want to pay attention only to those which occur at some important level, preferably S or R of some kind. Otherwise, you're just taking shots in the dark.

This first chart provides the context and what to look for regarding R.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9047&stc=1&d=1231374652

Note that 55 provides potential S at 0815. It's then tested later from the downside. Then from the downside again after the open. Then price fails to breach that level from 0955 to 1000. This makes 55 a level to keep an eye on.

Later, price hits this level again.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9048&stc=1&d=1231374780

And here is a blow-up of price action at this level. Note that all these charts address the same timeframe (a term that is commonly misused). Their difference lies in the bar interval, from 5s to 1m.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9049&stc=1&d=1231374780

Now even if one weren't paying any attention to the tick at all, much less any other instrument, the failure of buyers to get through R twice (actually four times on the 5s) would be enough justification to short.

However,

attachment.php?attachmentid=9050&stc=1&d=1231374780

The tick shows a clear divergence, at R, between itself and price. In and of itself, it may not be enough. But as confirmation of what one already thinks should be done, it is at least useful.

Image3c.gif.4b5f1ca401359995cfb98db9e6fcd592.gif

Image3.gif.522d1ac2dde71b995a3989447ecbd205.gif

Image3a.gif.38bfa1377ad51d1e46210a9c931a5758.gif

Image3b.gif.936abbbffcb10e31b3effd0035446dd9.gif

attachment.php?attachmentid=9047&stc=1&d=1231374652

hey D,

refferring to 1st chart:

was it the second test (3rd red dot) from the down side that made it an important level ??

or could you also consider it important for use after the first downside test?

thanks, cheers marius (aka mong).

nice work!

Here is a couple of boxes. And altough I had the white boxes drawn yesterday before open I failed to recognize what was happening.

First price bounced off 1245 in premarket. Could be a nice long if one actually trades premarket. But then we failed to get through 56, the midpoint of a smaller box. Then we broke below 45, recovered, but again failed to breach that midpoint.

Db posted excelent analysis and I am posting this just to show some context of the 55 level.

08-5000V.thumb.png.968c5d978cf0c0e1b1a009d196670c32.png