Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest forsearch

Q: TL Policy on Spamming, Solicitation and Advertising by Members

Guest forsearch

Since at least one of the mods yesterday seemed to have a problem with interpreting and applying the TL rules with regards to solicitation and advertising by a non-TL sponsor (meaning a member who thought that he could spam TL with solicitations for "donations" for his new $500 course without being a paying TL sponsor), could you kindly update the community on the TL rules about spamming, solicitation and advertising?

Thank you.

I'll reply since I'm sure you're referring to me. There was no misinterpretation, upon asking a long term member in good standing I was told that James had approved the thread. End of discussion on that as far as I'm concerned. When things got out of hand I locked the thread down and PM'ed James to await his decision on the matter. It's his site, therefore it's not up the gander to publicly vote on what's good for the goose.

As a personal side note...I believe you mean well, but you're contant attempt to police TL has me on the verge of giving you an OCD diagnosis. :o

Guest forsearch

As a personal side note...I believe you mean well, but you're contant attempt to police TL has me on the verge of giving you an OCD diagnosis. :o

Nope, that's YOUR job, isn't it? :crap:

Just, send me a script for the meds instead and we'll call it even, OK? :rofl:

-fs

Nope, that's YOUR job, isn't it? :crap:

Just, send me a script for the meds instead and we'll call it even, OK? :rofl:

-fs

:haha:300_244971.jpg

There ya go...I don't want you to be the sad egg any longer ok.

Guest forsearch

Considering that the policy still hasn't been clarified for the benefit of TL members - and notwithstanding the specifics of this incident - could James let us all know, once and for all.

And also, if the "member in good standing" had told the mod that he had James's approval, then why was his "approved" thread DELETED and the member's signature line (which had a link to the $500 offending site) removed?

There's something not right about all of this, since if that's the case, why isn't there a demerit on that member's file as a result?

As they said in Animal Farm: All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Shame....

My though is if a long standing member who contributes often decided to post a link to a project they had been working on (such as a pay service) I would not have a problem with that. Now don't get me wrong. If it got to the point in which evertyone was posting things like that , well then a more severe set of rules would have to be kept to. It does not seem to happen a lot here. On the other had when you have a brans new profile sending up links to services it becomes very clear what's going on and the mods take care of that fairly quick.

My though is if a long standing member who contributes often decided to post a link to a project they had been working on (such as a pay service) I would not have a problem with that. Now don't get me wrong. If it got to the point in which evertyone was posting things like that , well then a more severe set of rules would have to be kept to. It does not seem to happen a lot here. On the other had when you have a brans new profile sending up links to services it becomes very clear what's going on and the mods take care of that fairly quick.

Thanks for recognizing what I meant by "member in good standing", and backing the mods...we all thank you. If this was a 2 post noob we would have shut that down instantly and permabanned without blinking. When someone has provided value and great input for a considerable amount of time I feel we should ask the question about approval. Beyond that we can only use our judgment at that time and notify James who has the final say. Often a mod is only here to contain the damage and then notify the admin with higher decision making power. That's how most jobs work as well...things move up the chain of command. The 1st level is not the end all be all typically.

Plus, James is not here for a quick buck and holds the highest level of integrity IMO. Give James some friggin credit here guys, it's not like he's harboring a murderer or laundering money. He won't let you guys down or allow TL to become a grounds for...well let's just say this won't become a T2W scenario. :o

Some of those complaining have concepts that would work well in a vacuum, but this is a dynamic environment and all posters are NOT created equal. Life's not fair, the market is not fair and those with a clean track record are innocent until proven guilty in my eyes. If you have a bad track record or NO track record, mods should give just enough rope to hang with. ;)

Gnite fellaz

Considering that the policy still hasn't been clarified for the benefit of TL members - and notwithstanding the specifics of this incident - could James let us all know, once and for all.

And also, if the "member in good standing" had told the mod that he had James's approval, then why was his "approved" thread DELETED and the member's signature line (which had a link to the $500 offending site) removed?

There's something not right about all of this, since if that's the case, why isn't there a demerit on that member's file as a result?

As they said in Animal Farm: All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Shame....

Untitled-11.jpg

Here ya go tiger, knock yourself out. You are now a deputy of TL. :o ;)

Hi,

Ill write a follow up but currently off from the desk so will make this brief. After consideration and feedbacks from members of TL, I have decided to implement a zero tolerance policy for promotion/ad/spam on the forum. As much as I think it would be creative to allow members to promote their works, these can lead to disastrous outcomes and the future of TL may be affected by it.

Therefore, until there are more requests regarding solicitation from loyal members I will not allow this on the boards. In the future, we may decide to implement some creative solution.

For now, I am considering adding a donation button per user. This way those who benefit and want to give back in return can simply donate. Not sure how effective this is but it is still in talks at the moment.

I should have more updates shortly. Thanks.

thats not the mods fault.. simply my miscommunication with the mods to resolve this problem swiftly. Thanks.

Guest forsearch
Hi,

Ill write a follow up but currently off from the desk so will make this brief. After consideration and feedbacks from members of TL, I have decided to implement a zero tolerance policy for promotion/ad/spam on the forum. As much as I think it would be creative to allow members to promote their works, these can lead to disastrous outcomes and the future of TL may be affected by it.

Therefore, until there are more requests regarding solicitation from loyal members I will not allow this on the boards. In the future, we may decide to implement some creative solution.

For now, I am considering adding a donation button per user. This way those who benefit and want to give back in return can simply donate. Not sure how effective this is but it is still in talks at the moment.

I should have more updates shortly. Thanks.

Thank you.

Probably the safest and most unambiguous way to go. Of course Walter had become a good efriend to a lot of us so understandable to cut some slack. Walter, I hope that you aren't too busy to come and hang out here now and then! Good luck.

I agree. I don't envy James or the mods for situations like this. It can be tough making judgment calls. You can't please everyone all of the time, as much as I'm sure they would like.

So far as I have seen, Walter's conversations have been nothing but intellectual. He deserves a significant amount of credit given his contributions in the past, even though I personally did not agree with the way he was presenting his course. But hey, it shouldn't hurt to test the limits now and then. It keeps the mods on their toes and helps strengthen the integrity of the web site. ;)

Thanks for all the responses. Although I may reconsider implementing something like this in the future, I will leave this issue as closed.

I will re-open this thread once we have a few things that may be implemented to receive further feedback. For now, any promotion will not be allowed on TL. Thanks.