Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Bid/Ask Indicator Similar to TradeFlow in CQG

When applied to a tick chart, the width/color of the bars reacts much differently than when on a time based chart.......I think CQG even uses a different approach for tick charts. I'm sure lack of programmatic access to the bid/ask data in tradestation is definitely a hindrance, but nevertheless I like where this indicator is headed.........very useful.:cool:

JC

what i meant was

is there a way to specify, the volume differences for the bars? cause really low volume are really small which is good, but the big volume bars alot of them are the same size after a certain volume, like 20,000 contracts on a 2 minutes is the same width as a 10,000 volume bar

There are 6 bar levels in TS.....What you described is the problem with the indicator......it has to be calibrated to the chart you are using. I have had best results on minute charts and very small tick charts......i.e 55 tick.

Here's what the inputs mean:

AvgLength(5)-----> Length that volume average is calculated over

LowestVolWidth(0)-----> Width of thinnest bar type

LowVolWidth(1)-----> Width of next bar type

NormalVolWidth(3)-----> ""

HighVolWidth(3.5)-----> ""

HighestVolWidth(5)-----> ""

LowestVolumeMult(.25)-----> Threshold Percent of Average volume to calculate thinnest bar type

LowVolumeMult(.5)----->next percent volume threshold

HighVolumeMult(.9)----->next threshold

HighestVolumeMult(1.25)------->next threshold

so Volume Multiple*Average Volume over x bars=Volume trigger threshold.

You probably want to adjust the HighestVolumeWidth input. A higher value of 6 will make the bars larger...Alternatively you can adjust the sensitivity of how the larger bars are triggered by adjusting the HighestVolumeMult input...Or you can adjust the AVGLength, but this will affect all bar types.

Hope this helps.

JC

Edited by caglebagle

Guest MRC & Co

Do you boys actually find trade flow (difference between the bid ask trades) makes any difference at further points in time?

I mean, if you know there is a buyer or a seller in there at certain points, you will obviously know if the bids or asked have seen more trades and the outcome of this previously is shown simply within the price action.

Do you have an actual example of how you use this as your candlestick setup on your charts? (I use CQG myself but not with tradeflow currently, never even thought of it until seeing this post).

Cheers

JT It is not a 'system' but the answer to your question is almost surely No. Simply as there is no way to collect the data that is required for this sort of analysis.

MRC there are two questions really. Does order flow have a short term effect on price? And are these indicators an effective tool to guage order flow? A search for delta or market delta should reveal a couple of discussions that might interest you.

Guest MRC & Co

True Blow.

I will do a search for market delta. Seen that video of this CQG trade flow (order ticker or whatever it's caleld) in action live, but it's really just the tape, nothing that can't be seen in the price ladder.

Guessing NT is NinjaTrader rather than NeoTicker but the answer is yes and yes anyway. Check there forums for buy sell pressure indicators. Of course display options are kind of limited to your chart options however this can be overridden if you want to get really stuck in.

Hello Blowfish,

thank you for your reply I checked all the volume indicators on Ninja Forum which by the way I was reffering to (Ninja Trader) sorry not to be as clear on my first post the one Soultrader is referring to is not found and default buy sell pressure is different I looked at this one ...

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/HelpGuideV6/helpguide.html?BuySellPressure

could not get any good use of it and no compare to the one Soultrader is referring since they show equi volume so I was wondering if it would somehow be available for NT ?

cheers

Franko

Hi Blowfish,

thank you for your reply I checked all the volume indicators on Ninja Forum which by the way I was reffering to (Ninja Trader) sorry not to be as clear on my first post the one Soultrader is referring to is not found and default buy sell pressure is different I looked at this one ...

http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/HelpGuideV6/helpguide.html?BuySellPressure

could not get any good use of it and no compare to the one Soultrader is referring since they show equi volume so I was wondering if

it would somehow be available for NT ?

cheers

Franko

There are lots of these types of indicators around (several at NT forums) usually the differences are how the information is displayed. You might have to do some modification in how the data is displayed to get the same display as CQG if you can't find one that is like that 'out of the packet'.

hmm..so you mean I shall rather contact people at the

NT forum to get this coded since my C# knowledge is not enough to get this ...

or is there anyone else here who has the skills cooking the code

which blu ray was able to get running for TS - in order to be available as well for Ninja ?

regards

F

If you ask on the ninja forum they will just tell you they don't support custom plotting.

This stuff isn't straight forward in ninja, I would love to code this up for you but if you don't want to wait a few years for me to get up to speed :) your only real option would be to try one of the hired guns...

this guy I think will give you a price quote on programming it for you.

http://www.affordableindicators.com/

I've never used him before but he would probly be the cheapest and may find the challenge interesting in and of itself.

F as Darth points out it will probably need the custom plot facilities to get it looking like that as things are now. Actually this might be a very worthwhile thing to discover more about, it certainly interests me.

I really know little about C# OR ninja for that matter. The whole approach is quit 'high level' which means there are routines and procedures to do most things (methods I guess is the correct name). Personally I find this hard to work with. I prefer to work with a small set of primitives, by the time you find the correct method and established exactly how it works on stuff you could have written something from scratch using the handful of well defined primitives!

What I am saying in a round about way is I can't give much in the way of assistance.

The reason I said 'as things are now' is that Ninja 7.0 is fairly imminent (that can be a long time in the software biz :)) and one area that may well be improved (it is lacking right now) is plot types for studies. You could contact them to ask if a hi lo plot type for studies will be available in 7.0.

Another alternative is tradestation or multicharts, I think BluRay did a version of this in Easy Language (might be mistaken there).

Allright thanks

I understand for now it is not available ...for Ninja

alternative would be TS just to test it and see if it is worth working with it

since I use Ninja for charting I may consider this solution at a later stage ....maybe.

Anyways appreciate your comments

cheers

Franko

Personally I find this hard to work with. I prefer to work with a small set of primitives, by the time you find the correct method and established exactly how it works on stuff you could have written something from scratch using the handful of well defined primitives!

You should check out the chartcontrol thread I started in the tools/ninja section here. Ninjascript certainly is in an odd place when it comes to doing something like this cqg chart. More primitives/basic functions is what I hope that thread will eventually evolve to. Maybe you can explain how tradestation does this as it was quite impressive to see how fast people knocked off this chart here..

I guess part of this is that when you override plot there are no limits to what you can do since your just drawing things based on X/Y cordinates on the canvas. Adding the fat/skiny bars would be trivial in ninja if the basics were done differently. The strange thing I'm finding with ninjascript is that its a modern OOP language with everything from the ninja guys done like its just a scripting language. No modularity, no code reuse...

I wouldn't hold your breath for this stuff in ninja 7. Their support is amazing for what they do support but I think anything more as far as charting opens up the C# can of worms which they are pretty clear they will not support much outside very basic programming.

The reason why it is trivial in TS is that there is a Hi Lo plot style for indicators. You can calculate the %age @bid nad @ASK to split the bar, work out the 4 values (trivial) Hi,splitpoint splitpoint,low and simply plot as a red hi lo segment and a green hi lo segment.

It's sometimes the simplest things that make life easy.

The reason why it is trivial in TS is that there is a Hi Lo plot style for indicators. You can calculate the %age @bid nad @ASK to split the bar, work out the 4 values (trivial) Hi,splitpoint splitpoint,low and simply plot as a red hi lo segment and a green hi lo segment.

"Unfortunately this is not supported right now" :crap: