Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Bid/Ask Indicator Similar to TradeFlow in CQG

Hi guys,

So Ive been using CQG for some time now and though most of you will say its PRICEY!....I have somehow become hooked to a point where I can not switch over to another platform. (maybe TS again)

There is a charting format called TimeFlow in CQG which is pretty much the same as the bid/ask indicator available on TL! but coloring the price bars instead of volume. The following illustration will show this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7218&stc=1&d=1214964268

The bar is color coded separating the percentage of volume traded at the ask price vs bid. Green = trades at the ask. Red = trades at the bid.

The width and the brightness of the colors reflect the relative total executed volume. Wide, brightly colored bars indicate heavy trading and thin, dark bars indicate low executed volume.

Here is a chart in action.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7219&stc=1&d=1214964394

The question is, can anyone replicate this in tradestation? I say this because I am absolutely obsessed with this charting package and when I do go back to TS I need it. Its become an addiction to a point where I can no longer view candlesticks as green bars on a candlestick chart can actually appear weak in a TradeFlow chart.

Thanks!

Guest forsearch

Doesn't Investor/RT and/or Market Delta have the same functionality in one of its indicators already?

I think the only difference are those small black bars in the CQG Tradeflow that I didn't see in I/RT's implementation.

Perhaps LS Chad could advise further here...

Another question would be...why are you thinking of going back to Tradestation. Sort of like giving up a Mercedes-Benz and opting for a Ford instead, if you know what I mean.

-fs

Doesn't Investor/RT and/or Market Delta have the same functionality in one of its indicators already?

I think the only difference are those small black bars in the CQG Tradeflow that I didn't see in I/RT's implementation.

Perhaps LS Chad could advise further here...

Another question would be...why are you thinking of going back to Tradestation. Sort of like giving up a Mercedes-Benz and opting for a Ford instead, if you know what I mean.

-fs

That... I cant quite disclose here. Just that I dont pay for CQG usage... a firm pays for it. I need something at home for OSE and CME data only.

I don't believe TS can vary a bars width bar by bar (though may be wrong). Ninjatrader I believe has some sort of custom bar plot but I couldn't tell you whether you can vary the width easily. Might be worth investigation.

Do you really think it improves your trading compared to say just looking at price and volume? I guess the answer must be yes or is it your addiction clouding your mind :) It definitely gives you another layer of information I just wonder how useful you really find it?

BlowFish is right, you can't adjust the width of the bars, but here's one I've just knocked up, would something like this be up your street ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=7222&stc=1&d=1214995724

Cheers

Blu-Ray

You sure it wasn't "one you prepared earlier".:) Looks good BR. I wonder if you could get something good going with the different intensity of colours (i.e. a nice spread of brightnesses) whether that would suffice.

I guess an alternative would be filled rectangles (drawn objects) but messy to keep track of I guess.

You sure it wasn't "one you prepared earlier".:) Looks good BR. I wonder if you could get something good going with the different intensity of colours (i.e. a nice spread of brightnesses) whether that would suffice.

I guess an alternative would be filled rectangles (drawn objects) but messy to keep track of I guess.

LOL..... I'm Blu-Ray............. not Blue Peter :o

Yes, it would be possible to varify the colors a bit more, might get a bit cluttered though.

LOL..... I'm Blu-Ray............. not Blue Peter :o

Yes, it would be possible to varify the colors a bit more, might get a bit cluttered though.

I have a code snipet from a 'footprint' chart that someone did over at multicharts. It does an x period average and then colours depending on how far above/below average the datum is. I think it has 5 or so intensities of colour. I seem to recall it's all automatic, I can have a search for it if you are interested. Actually just colouring bars/candles based on volume might be interesting.

omg blu ray. You ARE the MAN! I care less about the width as I prefer to just read the volume panel. Is this coded in .ELD? If so, would you mind posting it? Thank you!

Of course I don't mind...... sharing is the key here....... when inserting it onto your chart, you'll have to format the symbol and change it from "subgraph 1" to "hidden."

Just to make things a little more interesting, I've also added a tick delta style input, so it would place the higher of the 2 volumes at the top ( see pic ) .......... time will tell if you find it useful or not I suppose.

attachment.php?attachmentid=7224&stc=1&d=1215003338

Cheers

Blu-Ray

ps : this could be modified with additional colors as per Blowfish's post if you desired.

I have a code snipet from a 'footprint' chart that someone did over at multicharts. It does an x period average and then colours depending on how far above/below average the datum is. I think it has 5 or so intensities of colour. I seem to recall it's all automatic, I can have a search for it if you are interested. Actually just colouring bars/candles based on volume might be interesting.

Yes please Blowfish, if you don't mind.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Heres the complete routine .txt I'm afariad as I seem to have misplaced the original and I don't think multicharts exports .eld

I include the whole indicator as there are several neat ideas in there.

Cheers.

HI Blu Ray,

Is it possible to have it so that the green is always at the bottom? The bid ask coloring is split by ratio? Thanks

Yes it already is, the color green is at the bottom.... all I've done is added an input which you can choose true/false as to whether you wanted it tick delta style.

The bid/ask is split by percentage ratio.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Wow I have not swung by the MC forums for a while as I have been using Ninja + Zenfire, then i notice that your charts are being driven by .......Zenfire. That deserves a small woot and might get me using MC again.

@BlowFish

I try to compare ZENFIRE vs. TS and eSignal as a datafeed. Here are my results from yesterday :

1st indicator :

ticks counts

2nd indicator :

red = tickdiff ZENFIRE/TRADESTATION

blue = tickdiff ZENFIRE/eSIGNAL

cyan = tickdiff TRADESTATION/eSIGNAL

I will compare more feeds against ZENFIRE (like TT, DTNIQ and so on. ...). The results from yesterday show you that TradeStation delivered 100ticks less then ZENFIRE. It's not the difference it's the spikes because Tradestation feed is very slow in busy market action. Slower then ZENFIRE and eSignal. That's the main problem !!!

Regards.

Mike

Well I had a little try getting it going this morning but no joy seems to connect but not download data. I am with mirus rather than amp wonder if thats the issue? Maybe I'll call support tomorrow...doubt if I will be trading beeing a US holiday.

Blu did you take a look at the gradient stuff? Some quite neat code in there.

TickData - Research ... EOD 20080703

Results prepared realtime after relaod because of TradeStation-Crash today. I've seen some lags in eSignal-feed. ZENFIRE worked very well equal to TT-feed.

Regards. have a nice long weekend.

Mike

Blu did you take a look at the gradient stuff? Some quite neat code in there.

I'm going to take a look over the code at the weekend and see what we can come up with.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

Thanks BlueRay for your work on this....I tried a few things here, but I'd like to figure out how to make it work better on tick charts. Maybe some of the better coders can give it a whack...

Here is a link with some great info......http://www.hartleandflow.com/5/tradeflow/2007/05/tradeflow-studies.html

JC

TRADEFLOWV2.ELD

TF.thumb.jpg.e7e96f5ef61b0a5b6f61bfb0fcb42415.jpg

Edited by caglebagle

And here's the code:

inputs: 

AvgLength(5),
LowestVolWidth(0),
LowVolWidth(1),
NormalVolWidth(3),
HighVolWidth(3.5),
HighestVolWidth(4.5),
LowestVolumeMult(.25),
LowVolumeMult(.5),
HighVolumeMult(.9),
HighestVolumeMult(1.25);

vars: 
VolAvg(0),
mintick(0),
BarVol(0),
BarRange(0),
Floatpoint(0),
MidSection(0),
Vol(0),
NoVolume(0),
LowestVolume(0),
LowVolume( 0 ),
HighVolume(0),
HighestVolume(0),
AvgVol( 0 );

if bartype < 2 then begin

Mintick = minmove/pricescale;

BarVol = upticks / ticks *100;	{percentage of upticks}

BarRange = (h-l)*2;				{Number of minticks in a bar}

Floatpoint = ((BarRange * BarVol)/100)/2;
MidSection = l + floatpoint;

AvgVol = Average( ticks, AvgLength ) ;
LowestVolume=AvgVol*LowestVolumeMult; 
LowVolume = AvgVol * LowVolumeMult;
HighVolume=AvgVol*HighVolumeMult;
HighestVolume=AvgVol*HighestVolumeMult;

Plot1(o,"Open");
Plot2(c,"Close");
Plot3(h,"High");
Plot4(MidSection,"Middle");
Plot5(MidSection,"Middle");
Plot6(Low,"Low");

If ticks < LowestVolume then begin
setplotcolor(3,rgb(64,0,0));
setplotwidth(3,LowestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(4,rgb(64,0,0));
setplotwidth(4,LowestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(5,rgb(0,64,0));
setplotwidth(5,LowestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(6,rgb(0,64,0));
setplotwidth(6,LowestVolWidth);
end;

If ticks>LowestVolume and ticks < LowVolume then begin
setplotcolor(3,darkred);
setplotwidth(3,LowVolWidth);
setplotcolor(4,darkred);
setplotwidth(4,LowVolWidth);
setplotcolor(5,darkgreen);
setplotwidth(5,LowVolWidth);
setplotcolor(6,darkgreen);
setplotwidth(6,LowVolWidth);
end;

{normal Volume}
if ticks>LowVolume and ticks<HighVolume then begin
setplotwidth(3,NormalVolWidth);
setplotcolor(3,rgb(160,0,0));
setplotwidth(4,NormalVolWidth);
setplotcolor(4,rgb(160,0,0));
setplotwidth(5,NormalVolWidth);
setplotcolor(5,rgb(0,160,0));
setplotwidth(6,NormalVolWidth);
setplotcolor(6,rgb(0,160,0));

end;

if ticks > HighVolume and ticks<HighestVolume then begin
setplotwidth(3,HighVolWidth);
setplotcolor(3,rgb(192,0,0));
setplotwidth(4,HighVolWidth);
setplotcolor(4,rgb(192,0,0));
setplotwidth(5,HighVolWidth);
setplotcolor(5,rgb(0,192,0));
setplotwidth(6,HighVolWidth);
setplotcolor(6,rgb(0,192,0));

end;

if ticks > HighestVolume then begin
setplotwidth(3,HighestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(3,red);
setplotwidth(4,HighestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(4,red);
setplotwidth(5,HighestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(5,green);
setplotwidth(6,HighestVolWidth);
setplotcolor(6,green);

end;

END; {Bartype < 2}

Hi, I am in Italy and of course I'm italian so I apologize for my bad english.

Is there someone could translate it in .ELA please? .....coz I have the old tradestation 2000 prosuite and I can not import .ELD files.

Thank anyway and good job,

Mizio