Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

smwinc

Australian Stock Babcock & Brown Killed

Wow, sucks to be B&B Chief Phil Green. His holding's in B&B were worth around $440 million at the peak in 2007. Currently it stands at around $67 million.

Ouch.

(Disclaimer, I am now long in stock/CFDs since the close Friday 13th).

Personally, I couldn't ignore this as a trade.

At 5.25, we should at least test the IPO price (from 4 years ago!) at 7.60, which would be around a 40% gain.

You're maximum risk is that the company goes bankrupt (5.25 at the close on Friday).

Unless someone is hiding something seriously big (never underestimate that possibility), but I think it's a little unlikely.

It's likely there was a severe overreaction as nearly everyone on a margin-loan who owned shares would have been squeezed out once we took out the IPO price from 4 years ago.

Worth having a look at. I'll post the updated charts over the next few weeks.

Update:

Sold out 80% position on the gap fill, got filled @ 6.90.

Why 80%? Magic risk-free number. Assuming 100 shares:

100% * 5.25 = (525) - Initial Purchase

75% * 6.9 = +517 - Profit taking.

25% * 0 = +0 - Worst case scenario company goes bankrupt.

Net Result = -7.5

At 80%:

100% * 5.25 = (525)

80% * 6.9 = +552

20% * 0 = +0

Net Result = +27.

Now in the position where the last 20% can go to zero, and I still come out on top.

I don't do many stock trades, but when an opportunity knocks, worth taking I think . .

Cheers