Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

lazymuoio

Tick Vs Time Charts

Can anyone tell me the benefits/draw backs of tick vs time charts for the mini equity futures and what the 144tk and 233tk charts would be roughly equivalent to time wise and whether using one instead of the other is more beneficial. Thanks

Can anyone tell me the benefits/draw backs of tick vs time charts for the mini equity futures and what the 144tk and 233tk charts would be roughly equivalent to time wise and whether using one instead of the other is more beneficial. Thanks

Do a search for what youre looking for and youll find it. TL is littered with what youre looking for.

strtedat22

Guest forsearch

Do your own homework, lazymuolo....

Have you actually plotted 144 or 233 tick charts and compared them to regular charts with a time interval of your choosing, like 5 minutes?

Did you notice any differences or similarity? Compare and contrast tick vs time charts for yourself first, and you'll have your answer in no time.

-fs

whatever tick/time correlation you can perceive has to be, by definition, purely coincidental.

a 5 minute chart will print a bar/candlestick every 5 minutes, no matter what the underlying action.

a 233 chart prints a bar every 233 ticks so if trading is intense that could happen within 1 minute ? or on a slow night 10 minutes ? or an hour ?

ok an hour is an exaggeration, but only when you truly understand the beauty and power of a tick chart, will you realise how absurd your question is.

Actually RE time based comparisons can be worth doing.

You take the rth hours only and find out how many ticks in that period. Then you create an equivalent tick chart to your chosen minute chart.

At that point your "fast period gives quicker response, slower gives relaxed response" comes into effect. I don't personally do it but I know people who do and are satisfied with the effect.

Guest forsearch

I think Kiwi's response is on point, unless you happen to be trading off-hours, that is.

For what it's worth though, I happen to like using Volume (or Share) charts instead of tick charts, since you really can never be certain what a true tick is.

Remember that not too long ago, for instance, the CME decided to "consolidate" ticks sent so as to conserve bandwidth.

So, whereas a tick used to be equivalent to "one trade or transaction = one tick", it now could be "many trades or transaction = one tick".

I agree with forsearch....that a tick from one data source is not necessarily equal to a tick from another data source. Some data services will often consolidate several "trades" into one "tick". For that reason, volume-bars might make more sense for grouping bars based on an activity-basis.

Nonetheless, here are a couple examples: A 377 tickbar chart showing the amount of time in seconds spent within each bar:

Tick_VS_Time.png

And here is a 1-minute chart plotting the number of trades in each minute:

Tick_VS_Time_2.png

DTN seems to be sending about 500 ticks per minute on average on the ES. These calculations were made using the Volume Breakdown Indicator: http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/techind/vb.htm