Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest Tresor

Why So Many Indicators but Little Strategies in TL?

I agree, its not a simple piece of work. In addition to what you said, in my 7 years work I also found that you can't accept what many will step forward and tell you as 'givens' in the indicator world.

You have to be willing to think 'outside the box'

Hello Folks here is your (almost) free strategy.

No parameters. No optimizations. Lots of trades. Low drawdown. But I ask you - who will trade this? I mean actually trade it? Not too many. Why? It's pretty boring.

I'll trade you for one concept that has helped you in your trading.

Edited by waveslider

Tresor,

Though I agree with most of the things that were said here, if you still want to contact a developer - I have a good friend who is an MIT alumni that develops indicators in the TradeStation environment. Feel free to contact me if you want his information.

You can also find developers outsourcing to countries like India and Russia (The Ukraine was one of the best outsourcing I have done - but you need a good English speaking project manager there). You can also put a "bid" on your work in websites such as "Guru" and "Elance" (I think they are not allowing Hyperlinks on this forum so I am refraining from doing so).

The most important part is that you learn to write requirements - so the developers will understand what your needs are (and even then there is much room for false interpretation).

By the way, today you can get one of those quad core laptops (64-bit) with a good acceleration card and RAID - which totally replaces the desktop server (for the most part) without going broke.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Guest forsearch

No parameters. No optimizations. Lots of trades. Low drawdown. But I ask you - who will trade this? I mean actually trade it? Not too many. Why? It's pretty boring.

Have you forward tested this yet?

LIVE, with real $$$ money?

Guest Tresor
Tresor,

Though I agree with most of the things that were said here, if you still want to contact a developer - I have a good friend who is an MIT alumni that develops indicators in the TradeStation environment. Feel free to contact me if you want his information.

You can also find developers outsourcing to countries like India and Russia (The Ukraine was one of the best outsourcing I have done - but you need a good English speaking project manager there). You can also put a "bid" on your work in websites such as "Guru" and "Elance" (I think they are not allowing Hyperlinks on this forum so I am refraining from doing so).

The most important part is that you learn to write requirements - so the developers will understand what your needs are (and even then there is much room for false interpretation).

By the way, today you can get one of those quad core laptops (64-bit) with a good acceleration card and RAID - which totally replaces the desktop server (for the most part) without going broke.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for offering your help. I will contact you in a few days.

I owe you all guys an update on my trading system that I mentioned I had devised.

I briefed a couple of programmers. They came back to me with their offers. The higher offer was $ 5,000 and the lower was Euro 200. I chose the cheapest programmer who said he would program my system in two days while the other claimed the logic of the system was so complex they would need severals days to code it.

I paid the guy in advance and the next day my system was coded. It took one day more to test it and debug it. The coding was perfect; just the way I wanted.

I was very proud to get my system coded :) I played with it for a couple of days. I made some heavy optimization. Having done it, I must admit that this system is of the worst performing trading system the whole world over :doh:

Although my first system is a crap, Euro 200 was a good investment and a fun, too. I learned a lot and now I am more motivated to search for the ways of how this system could be rebuilt and enriched with some filters.

Cheers

Guest Tresor

Hi waveslider,

Could you elaborate more on this (almost) free strategy?

Regards

Although my first system is a crap, Euro 200 was a good investment and a fun, too. I learned a lot and now I am more motivated to search for the ways of how this system could be rebuilt and enriched with some filters.
Would you mind posting it, for the edification of myself and others?

Hi waveslider,

Could you elaborate more on this (almost) free strategy?

Regards

He's willing trade for a setup of yours. I PM'ed him one of mine and we exchanged...sort of. I got the better end of the deal. ;)

Drop him a PM with one of your setups and I bet he'll hook you up. :)

Thanks again Waveslider.

Guest Tresor
Would you mind posting it, for the edification of myself and others?

Sure,

This is the description of my system that I sent to the programmer. I had browsed the web for a similar description that I could copycat (logic, structure, wording, etc) but couldn't find one so wrote something unprofessional like this.

I do not know if you can profit educationally from this description in any way. But if you can, then its my pleasure :)

I already know (i) I need to find a substitute of TRIX (a substitute indicator that would self adjust its length depending on the volume and volatility and... I don't know what else) and (ii) I need to find a substitute of BR Squeeze and (iii) I need to do ... lots of other stuff to get this module of my trading system right. Additional modules will come later.

Cheers

hey guys great answers and questions ive also relized that you have to just pick and choose different indicators that fit your personality and also know how to see setups for yourself then apply everything the "system" and your own judgement. if you just learn how to trade like your suppose to then apply indicators to back up your own judgement then you should do fine. happy trading

Thats a good point. We each have our own styles, risk adverseness and personality that must needs be applied in trading.

For instance, my own work targets deep selloffs and attempts to buy in as close to the bottom as possible.

While we all know that no system or method will achieve laser precise entries, the real-world goal is to apply a method which gets as much as possible as often as possible.

Many people have contacted me about ema based 'wait-until' methods because it makes them feel better if the turn has already occurred.

Others enter before a turn based on indicator extremes.

The final arbiter should be a spreadsheet or ledger comparing both ideas. As we've all seen, a quick glance at a chart and 'hey that looks good' won't do it.