Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Lisa

Any good market profile books for a beginner?

Is there any book recommendations on market profile? I am very unfamiliar with it but going through the charts posted on this forum I feel like I am missing something. Thank you

I agree with Mind Over Markets. Also, read all the free info at Cisco Futures and you may want to look at Steidlmayer on Markets.

I've heard of Steidlymayer's book. I need to check that out.

Do you have a link for the Cisco Futures resources? Thank you

No. I've been in Bill Duryea's IOAMT site since earliest days. Bill was a student of Don Jones and trades the same way but in a a little more of a scalper fashion. Bill speaks highly of the coursse and recommends it to everyone. I've read a good bit of the free stuff at the Cisco site.

Thank you luke24.5. Is it possible to scalp using market profile? I have this impression that market profile traders pick their spots rather carefully and trade 1-3 roundturns daily.

Also, I will check out the free course provided by Cisco futures.

Bill trades looking for 1-2 points depending on where he trades. Different people use the term "scalp" differently too. "Rotation" may have been a better term for me to use, but you can get a lot more entries than you mention. Depends on your temperment more than anything.

Bill trades looking for 1-2 points depending on where he trades. Different people use the term "scalp" differently too. "Rotation" may have been a better term for me to use, but you can get a lot more entries than you mention. Depends on your temperment more than anything.

Luke, can you describe a scalp trade used by Bill at IOAMT? Are trades taken within the value area? Is there a more efficient way to learn about Bill's trading method without participating in his chat room? Thanks in advance.

I heard about the Cisco Futures market profile course. It's supposed to be pretty good. Did you end up taking that course luke24.5?

I recenty signed up for the Cisco course. I am inpressed so far. The guy (Don Jones) definitely knows his stuff! Any lags in learning is coming from my part since there is so much material! I recommend reading all the free stuff on the site for a start, and the Mind over Markets book SoulTrader recommends, then perhaps moving to the course if that's what you'd like to do. I just started a week ago, so I don't know much about it all yet, but I'll fill you in as time progresses if you have any questions. Good luck.

I recenty signed up for the Cisco course. I am inpressed so far. The guy (Don Jones) definitely knows his stuff! Any lags in learning is coming from my part since there is so much material! I recommend reading all the free stuff on the site for a start, and the Mind over Markets book SoulTrader recommends, then perhaps moving to the course if that's what you'd like to do. I just started a week ago, so I don't know much about it all yet, but I'll fill you in as time progresses if you have any questions. Good luck.

The Cisco-Futures course is excellent, IMO. I took the short course, and for those who feels that Market Profile suits their style, it's the best deal out there. It's a great value. Don's book, Value Based Power Trading, and Mind over Markets complement each other very well.

I agree ant,

He covers all the bases. I am very impressed with what I have read the past week or so. Alot of people say it's too much information crammed together, but it's just that HE COVERS SO MANY NECESSARY DETAILS. I read the material and then reread it, and slowly assimilate it until it makes sense.

I am on the long course right now...so plenty of time to learn. :p

It appears that the course in general does not appeal to too many people, perhaps because of the way it's marketed or presented. I have to agree that the presentation is not the best - website appears disorganized and overwhelming. But for those who can see past all that, the course benefits are great I think. What I like most about the course is that Don Jones presents a model trading strategy that is as objective as you can get. As an engineer, I can relate to that. Enjoy the course Reaver!

It appears that the course in general does not appeal to too many people, perhaps because of the way it's marketed or presented. I have to agree that the presentation is not the best - website appears disorganized and overwhelming. But for those who can see past all that, the course benefits are great I think. What I like most about the course is that Don Jones presents a model trading strategy that is as objective as you can get. As an engineer, I can relate to that. Enjoy the course Reaver!

Thanks ant,

I can definitely look past the presentation as well. The information is very enlightening. He just has so much to present, that is really the only way to go about it...just lay it all out there. I spoke with Don Jones, the owner, for about an hour the other day and we were discussing it all, and he readily admits there is a ton of info, and alot of people can't handle the barrage, but if you stick with it, it will make a big difference. I agree. I'll keep anyone posted that is interested. Thanks.