Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Trading the KOSPI 200 Index Futures

Guys u can try phillipsfutures based in HK and singapore .

I use to use them for asian session futures indices. i also use to proptrade their house money plus my own.

As for comms I can check for you and get them down to almost what "locals " pay. "Locals" ie: exchange locals.

Let me know and I'll check for you.

They are on patssystem.

But when I traded with/for them we had the pits .

Just doing a favor ...... as a form of contribution to this site.

I use metatrader to look at charts. I mainly look at kospi and hangseng. Just wanted to mention that. I don't know how effective that is having in mind I am paper trading... anyways I am here to learn, I like the big volume, it looks more interesting than other markets, thanks!

Hello 156,

how did you manage to get Kospi data through Metatrader ? Which broker do you use for Metatrader ? Thanks in advance !

Mars

I am using a Malaysian broker to get that data - that was the only one I could find, I only use it for charting, am I allowed to name the broker or you want me to send you a pm ?

Thank you!

Interactive Brokers

Yes, they seem to be the logical choice, another question - does any one know a good news feed I can use for reading some Korean news?

Thanks!

For those interested in trading the KOSPI through a local Korean broker you may be interested in NHFutures: http://nhfutures.com/engIndex.action

I met with these guys today and seemed extremely nice. They are a FCM of the KRX so execution is the fastest when trading the KOSPI. They also cater towards the retail trader and have their own internal execution platform available.

They also have a number of english speaking employees as well.

I am not sure if the Quoted margins are correct in the first post... I am currently communicating with a IB representative and she's quoting different numbers ... could someone double check that ...

I am not sure if the Quoted margins are correct in the first post... I am currently communicating with a IB representative and she's quoting different numbers ... could someone double check that ...

Those are margins provided by the exchange... I am assuming your broker will probably quote you a higher margin?

Hey Soultrader,

first of all thanks for the intro. Sounds like a great market for scalpers that use limit orders if the tick value is so large and bid/ask depth is low (depends on the commission of course). I have a few questions:

1) What is the commission with the local Korean broker 'NHFutures' that you mentioned?

2) Are the KOSPI 200 Index Futures and the U.S. stock index markets correlated?

3) How do you know it's largely retail driven? Because of low sized trades?

Shame that eSignal doesn't provide data for this market, and IB doesn't really provide history. Any ideas on what I can backfill my charts with in order to see if my analysis works on this market?

For those interested in trading the KOSPI through a local Korean broker you may be interested in NHFutures: http://nhfutures.com/engIndex.action

I met with these guys today and seemed extremely nice. They are a FCM of the KRX so execution is the fastest when trading the KOSPI. They also cater towards the retail trader and have their own internal execution platform available.

They also have a number of english speaking employees as well.

These gents don't yet offer retail execution for overseas traders, based on my correspondance with them. Will let TL know when they do.

Some light reading, showing how heavily speculative and retail driven the Kospi is:

http://207.36.165.114/NewOrleans/Papers/4201904.pdf

I've started looking at this futures this morning, and being so retail driven it seems to trade very 'technically'. The shaded regions are support (bottom) and resistance (top) zones from the last few days volume profiles. 50% retracements also important.

5aa70e7f65028_K20029082008MorningPartial.thumb.PNG.c2760e37a64e7e91bdb27fc59a87ae56.PNG

Goon - I haven't traded KOSPI before, what's the order book depth like?

Would someone be able to post a screenshot of the order book if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers

Goon - I haven't traded KOSPI before, what's the order book depth like?

Would someone be able to post a screenshot of the order book if it's not too much trouble.

Cheers

Its not as big as the ES but you are going to see 150-300 contracts at each level. Ill post a live one on Monday... markets closed now and bid/ask is not showing anything on my DOM.

Its not as big as the ES but you are going to see 150-300 contracts at each level. Ill post a live one on Monday... markets closed now and bid/ask is not showing anything on my DOM.

Nice! I didn't realise it was that thick. Good hefty tick size as well.

Thanks

I was watching it all day today, and the depth of all five levels was between 300 and 1200 on each side. 300 was very thin, most of the time they sat at over 500 (100 each level, each side).

Very thick, big movements, and each tick is approx 23 USD.

I've started looking at this futures this morning, and being so retail driven it seems to trade very 'technically'. The shaded regions are support (bottom) and resistance (top) zones from the last few days volume profiles. 50% retracements also important.

What exactly are those shaded regions? Value Area Low/High? POCs?

I use volume profiles on different time ranges. The shaded areas are the transitions between high volume and low volume regions, or what is otherwise known as the 'value area' highs and lows. I believe I created these from the weekly volume profile combined with the dailies.