Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

bertg

Charts with Volume by Price

Hi,

Is there a charting package or website, free or fee-based, that allows me to drill down to a particular day and see Volume by Price.

For the current day, thanks to dbphoenix, I found out about and use bigcharts, which is free and does have VbP.

But, say I want to go back 3 or 6 months and want to see VbP for one day. Can I?

Thank you,

Bert

NinjaTrader 6.5 which is free. If you don't have one of the datafeed that is compatible, you can open an account with Opentick which is also free for their historical data.

NinjaTrader 6.5 which is free. If you don't have one of the datafeed that is compatible, you can open an account with Opentick which is also free for their historical data.

Thanks, OAC.

I have NT 6.5. As far as I know, the canned indicator that comes with it for VbP only plots with live data or market replay data.

Regards,

Bert

Under Time Frame, just click Time, then Custom.

Thank you, DB. I tried it and it works for 'daily' time frame. Unfortunately, for intra-day time frames, it can only look back up to 15 days.

Very useful.

Regards,

Bert

Thanks, OAC.

I have NT 6.5. As far as I know, the canned indicator that comes with it for VbP only plots with live data or market replay data.

Regards,

Bert

There are 2 canned indicators, one is Volume Profile which only read real-time data because it also differetiate volume at the bid and volume at the ask.

The other one is the Volume Zone which reads historical data, only thing I am not sure Whether it only gives you a cumulative volume over a number of days or just a single day as you have requested. You may have to go to the NinjaTrader Forum and find out if you can do a minor modification if needed.

You would need tick data to get true Volume at Price historically. However, since it's much easier to get 1 minute data for a extended historical period, the Profile Indicator in Investor/RT can take the 1-minute bars and allot the volume of each 1-min bar equally among the prices touched within that bar....resulting in historical volume profiles similar to that seen in the chart below.

http://www.charthub.com/images/2008/05/27/HistoricalVolumeAtPrice.png

HistoricalVolumeAtPrice.png

You can view more volume-driven functionality of Investor/RT in this video:

http://www.linnsoft.com/videos/volumeVolume/

And view a video on the Profile Indicator here:

http://www.linnsoft.com/videos/profileIndicator/

Hi,

Is there a charting package or website, free or fee-based, that allows me to drill down to a particular day and see Volume by Price.

For the current day, thanks to dbphoenix, I found out about and use bigcharts, which is free and does have VbP.

But, say I want to go back 3 or 6 months and want to see VbP for one day. Can I?

Thank you,

Bert

You can see volume by price for any historical day in EnsignSoftware charts.

JERRY

You can see volume by price for any historical day in EnsignSoftware charts.

JERRY

Jerry:

Can Ensign do a composite or merged profile for a number of periods either daily or intraday ?

Thanks

You can do multiple periods with Sierra chart ... Here's 3 day vps on a 15minute chart (the blue bars are overnight, green & pink are up & down.

vp.thumb.png.e46d9beee300348ddf5b0bebff81fa1a.png

Jerry:

Can Ensign do a composite or merged profile for a number of periods either daily or intraday ?

Thanks

Yes, no problem. For example, if you display a two day chart with 5 minute bars, you can show the volume by price for each day or combined. If you trade intraday you can show a volume by price for any time period you like.

For example, I like to display a 10 second chart (chart with 10 second bars), and display a new volume by price every 15 minutes. In essence this allows you to see the volume distribution function for 15 minute bars.

JPERL, for the trading with statistics videos, when you are using the volume by price, do you just use the default settings for it? For futures, it seems to me the volume is calculated from the globex open at 4:15. From you videos, it looks like you start to calc your vwap (your version) at 9:30 open or so...so is your volume by price based on this starting time as well?

JPERL, for the trading with statistics videos, when you are using the volume by price, do you just use the default settings for it? For futures, it seems to me the volume is calculated from the globex open at 4:15. From you videos, it looks like you start to calc your vwap (your version) at 9:30 open or so...so is your volume by price based on this starting time as well?

I start to compute the vwap from the 9:30 open. If you use the built in vwap in ensign, you can start it at the 9:30 open by clicking the restart @DSO button on the right column of the property sheet. The volume histogram also starts at the 9:30 open.

One other question, for volume histogram FORMULA, are you using the VOLUME setting or the PRICE setting. I am 99% sure it is the volume setting in ensign. I don't think we want price but just want to make sure before I start training myself on these indicators.

One other question, for volume histogram FORMULA, are you using the VOLUME setting or the PRICE setting. I am 99% sure it is the volume setting in ensign. I don't think we want price but just want to make sure before I start training myself on these indicators.

You can use either one. But be consistent. If you use the volume histogram, be sure to use a volume weighted average price to compute the histogram average. If you use a price histogram, you don't need to use a volume weighting to compute the average. You might want to ask Howard Arrington at ensign if he would include this on the properties window for the histogram.

Hmm...now I'm confused. Ensign has a check box for the FORMULA used for 3 types (on the volume histogram properties window) : volume, price, candles. I always thought it was VOLUME you were using in your videos. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Hmm...now I'm confused. Ensign has a check box for the FORMULA used for 3 types (on the volume histogram properties window) : volume, price, candles. I always thought it was VOLUME you were using in your videos. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

That's correct. I've always used the volume histogram. There are situations where you have to use the price histogram instead. For instance if the contract you are trading has no volume data.

CompositeProfile.png

Can ensign do a complex merge like this? I really need this capability but can't afford the more pricey platforms yet.

Thanks

Edit to clarify---

It's not so much the platform thats pricey, its more the data feed. Ensign works with Infinity AT's feed so I would be free there.

Edited by MC

Can ensign do a complex merge like this? I really need this capability but can't afford the more pricey platforms yet.

Is this what you are looking for MC? Chart is ES from May 22 to June 12 with

daily volume histogram superimposed on combined histogram for the entire period.

Is this what you are looking for MC? Chart is ES from May 22 to June 12 with

daily volume histogram superimposed on combined histogram for the entire period.

Exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you could screenshot the settings and PM or post em here? I have a demo of ensign I want to try and tinker with but honestly get lost in all the options and settings. :confused:

Much appreciated.

CompositeProfile.png

I haven't checked lately. But the last time I checked, Investor/RT was considerably more pricy than Ensign: $75 vs $40 with the MP capability. Now with Ensign's new enhancement to their Price Histogram and a promise of more to come, Investor/RT must be getting nervous. :hmpf:

Exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you could screenshot the settings and PM or post em here? I have a demo of ensign I want to try and tinker with but honestly get lost in all the options and settings. :confused:

Much appreciated.

Here are the screen shots of the ensign price histogram property windows.

The first one plots the combined volume histogram and the second one plots the daily volume histogram. You run both at the same time.

I haven't checked lately. But the last time I checked, Investor/RT was considerably more pricy than Ensign: $75 vs $40 with the MP capability. Now with Ensign's new enhancement to their Price Histogram and a promise of more to come, Investor/RT must be getting nervous. :hmpf:

For me it all comes down to data compatibility and the cost of the data.

I'm mostly focused on the futures contracts but would like stock data as well since I do analysis on them from time to time.

You are right though, with the MP data which is needed it costs more for Investor/RT. I like the presentation better of the profiles on RT so I need to decide is that worth the extra 20 per month.

I appreciate the help and thoughts guys.

Edited by MC

Investor/RT is $59/mo with Market Profile activated.

Investor/RT is $59/mo with Market Profile activated.

Sorry for the mistake. The last time I checked, the MarketDelta software with the Footprint and everything was $40.00/month.