Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Bam-Bam

Trading Psychology Resources

I was searching online and found several good repositories of Trading Pscyhology reference materials.

Over the past several weeks I've been trying to systematically eliminate (or at least reduce the effects of) the sources of my inconsistency. Reading the articles at these sites is both reinforcing and enlightening to the changes I've made.

First, Brett N. Steenbarger, Ph.D.

Lots of great articles (most or all in Word format)

http://www.brettsteenbarger.com/articles.htm

Next, Janice Dorn, M.D., Ph.D.

Many great tie-ins to trader behavior (tip 'o' the hat to the Trading Doctor)

http://www.thetradingdoctor.com/archives/index.html

Also, Linda Bradford Raschke, CTA

Links to many of her magazine articles (most or all pdf format)

https://www.lbrgroup.com/index.asp?page=MagazineArchive

These aren't necessarily hidden gems or sources unknown to most members of TL. They are certainly gems, though.

Can you recommend other archives with other high-quality articles? This thread would be a great place to collect the links. If we get a good list, this thread could be a "sticky" in the same way that the "Best of TL!" sticky is in the Beginner's Forum.

Good trading,

Bam-Bam

Thanks for the financial philosopher namstrader, I plan to save him for quiet moments when I might otherwise overtrade.

I'll vouch for Denise Shull too; she is very good on the subject of exposing and addressing your emotions so that you can get out of your own way and trade well. Nice big easy listening videos. :)

Thanks for the great additions to the list. There is definitely some excellent information available if you know where to look.

I particularly like the Metaphors for Trading. I think trading is most like surfing (but I'll save that for another post).

The writings of the Financial Philosopher will be good for times when I need to focus on something besides ticks.

Thanks to all,

Bam-Bam

Thanks for the great additions to the list. There is definitely some excellent information available if you know where to look.

I particularly like the Metaphors for Trading. I think trading is most like surfing (but I'll save that for another post).

Me, too. You may also be interested in Vad Graifer's book. He includes a series of "mantras", what others have termed "self-talk". One of them has to do with what to do after a losing streak:

Recovery after a Losing Streak or a Heavy Loss

I am starting fresh. I know what to do to win. I am doing the right things right now, and not trying to get back my money. I am not taking revenge—there is no one to fight with. I am taking it slowly until I get a good feeling. I am not complaining about my loss. I paid money for the lesson. Now I am applying my new knowledge to my trading. I am taking only trades that match my set of rules. There is no memory of money lost—my trading account is not money. It’s a tool for making money. I am rebuilding my confidence with many small wins. They let me feel the taste of winning. I don’t let events control me. I am in control of myself. I am going to remember the feeling of every win.

Db,

I am just finishing up Vad's book. While I didn't get want I hoped to out of it, I've found it a valuable source of trading knowledge. The information is presented in a casual manner that is very easy to grasp. The most useful section for me has been the Rules for and the Mindset of a Mature Trader: The Dos and Don'ts of Trading.

Since Torero won't toot his own horn, I've found a lot of useful Trading Psychology articles posted in his

And they print up in handy .pdf format. Thanks for all the work Torero.

Good trading,

Bam-Bam