Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

winnie

Wyckoff Resources

Is anyone could tell me where I could get some information on Mr.Richard Wyckoff method ?

Any books or web site about it ?

Thanks for your kind help

Edited by DbPhoenix

Guest SSTEVE

For what it's worth, google books has a few copies of "the ticker" and "wall street magazine" available for free download.

The original course is available from the Library of Congress (it was never put into book form, as was common back then with regard to courses, which is why so many of them are lost to us) and has been uploaded here.

The basics of the basics are provided here in the stickies. The core of the course, to me, is Section 7 (below). Therefore, regardless of what you decide to do with regard to the entire course, I suggest you read the first stickie, Wyckoff Lite, to become at least acquainted with the underlying concepts.

A great deal of what has been written about Wyckoff, particularly during the resurgence of interest in the "classics" over the past decade or so, is at best inaccurate and at worst blatantly untrue. Many traders will tell you, for example, that they are "Wyckoff traders" simply because they've decided to incorporate "volume" into their trading, and that by doing so they are employing the "Wyckoff Method". Volume, however, as you will learn, is only a part of the approach and isn't even necessary to applying it. You will also come across a wide range of approaches that claim to be "based on Wyckoff". However, since nearly all of what's been written with regard to technical analysis over the past hundred years is based on either Wyckoff or Schabacker, this claim doesn't mean a great deal. If you want to know what is legitimately Wyckoff, it makes sense for you to study Wyckoff himself, not what I nor anybody else says about him. In this way, you can build a conceptual framework for trading and investing that is uniquely yours.

Wyckoff Analysis 1930-31.pdf

Edited by DbPhoenix

A great deal of what has been written about Wyckoff, particularly during the resurgence of interest in the "classics" over the past decade or so, is at best inaccurate and at worst blatantly untrue.

So very true ... As in most areas of life, most folks never take the time to read the original thinker, and instead take watered down derivitive thinking for the real thing.

Someone converted the bars for "Analysis of 1930-31 charts" into csv form. It makes going through the PDF much easier when you can draw trendlines, volume at price etc. using your own charting package. Hope this helps.

Here is the file, thanks should go to the person at Yahoo.wyckoff who did the conversion though.

WyckoffSection7chart.xls

Edited by DbPhoenix
Combine posts

I created that file almost 10 years ago. It took some judgment and lots of time to extract the H,L,C and Volume, but I did my best. Please note that I doubled the Volume on the Saturday sessions.

I'm glad you posted it here because I was about to do it myself. Also for my own use (not in the file referenced here), I added some "price data filler" in the beginning to allow a chart window to be open full size and start the data scrolling with out messing up the scaling.

Edited by DbPhoenix

This is a tool I find very useful to study pictures of charts, like in forums or PDF documents, to see which volume bar belongs with which price bar, hence the reason I posted it in this section.

It is free, and I use a programmable button on my mouse to activate it.

http://www.mlin.net/CrossHair.shtml

It can use a lot of CPU time if you wave it around the screen a lot, but that is not what I enable it for :-)

From what I understand it not actually a mouse cursor but a picture of a cross with a clear background that is bigger than your screen dimensions, [something an actual mouse cursor can not do] hence the CPU usage while waving it around.

There is another program that will allow you to adjust how often the crosshair updates but it is shareware so I better not post a link, I'll just tell you it's called Exact Mouse 2.0

Dean.

CrossHair.thumb.jpg.fdca3d0e4d1a1a09811846b911112940.jpg

I am starting to try and look at the market in more of a Wyckoff way using end of day prices. This is because this is the way I want to trade in the future after the market closes and not get too emotional during the live prices. To help me in my learning process I have been slowly going through the posts in this forum, especially the stickies and trading the Wyckoff way. My question is this, is there any software out there that allows you to go backwards and run the daily charts without seeing the right hand side. So I could go back to the start of 2009 and reveal each day at a time on the chart and see how I get on. I know I could just create a chart and hide the prices but I thought it would be more fun and more realistic to do it without seeing the info at all.

Cheers

Lee

Sierra Charts offers replay. There are other charting programs which offer it as well, but I have no experience with them. Replay is particularly effective since one can link charts of varying timeframes and bar intervals into one viewing.

Edited by DbPhoenix

I'm not one to make a habit of bumping old threads, but based on earlier discussion, this is clearly the best place to post a link to the original Wyckoff course: The Richard D Wyckoff Method of Trading and Investing in Stocks: A Course of Instruction in Stock Market Science and Technique.

Wyckoff - Course.pdf

Edited by DbPhoenix

Hi,

I'm a huge price action fan and recently discovered this Wyckoff forum.

I've purchased db's ebook (Fantastic btw) and I now wish to study more of Wyckoff's original material.

I was wondering if some more experienced people would share a summary of which books to start and finish with.

Thanks

Edited by DbPhoenix
Link added

Db sums up most of what you need to study, for if you are interested in price action then the best way is to study the action itself as it unfolds and record what you see and think. Once one understands highs , lows, trading ranges, first class divergences, swings, he/she can begin to develop a trading plan. If there was one author I would rec , it would be Justin Mamis, he has a trilogy. There are gems in there and then there is stuff that no longer applies to give one an edge. Db also recommends that one look at the sectors(XLF,XLE,etc) Indu, Trans, and Util. That is unless he has changed :)

erie ( always looking for something new to learn )

Guest xevian
Hi,

I've purchased db's ebook (Fantastic btw) and I now wish to study more of Wyckoff's original material.

Thanks

I would be interested in db's ebook, can you please post the ebook name and link to where you purchased the book?

Thanks.

I don't know this guy, and cannot vouch for him. But for some reason a while back I was looking into ordering this book, and I was looking for reviews too and came across this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhUj8M0uqno]YouTube - Book Review - Charting the Stock Market: The Wyckoff Method by Jack K. Hutson[/ame]

I didn't see these posted anywhere so I thought I would add them here. These are links to downloads from Google Books and are probably old news, so my apologies if they are redundant.

Studies in Tape Reading, 1910 edition : Studies in tape reading - Google Books

The 1910 edition is very much like the version originally published in the Ticker magazine articles in 1908--1909.

Studies in Tape Reading, 1916 edition : Studies in tape reading - Google Books

Somewhat revised from the 1910 edition, this is the version most common today.

The Business of Trading in Stocks, "B" (John T. Brand), 1917 : The business of trading in stocks - Google Books

This book was written by an old fellow who by 1912 had traded from the tape for 30 years. He describes his approach to managing trades with an emphasis on controlling risk, and he talks about general price behavior, but not about tape reading itself. One interesting aspect is that he said he expected to double the size of his trading account every year---this was during the time that Livermore couldn't make a living trading. Although not written by Wyckoff, it revolves around many of Wyckoff's principles. Originally published in serial form in the Magazine of Wall Street from 1912 to 1914.

I found a new book:

Richard A Dickson & Tracy L Knudsen: Mastering Market Timing. Using the Works of LM Lowry and RD Wyckoff to identify Key Market Turning Points, 2011

(@ freebookspot.be)

It is best suited for the long term investor.

W

I have been trading for a few years now and recently decided to throw all my indicators out the window and start really to analyze the market. I am really interested in the Wyckoff method and even went as far as purchasing and reading the entire ebook that DB Phoenix made available.

What I am looking for is someone that is trading a similar style and maybe even the same market that I trade (crude oil) to help one another move forward and bounce ideas off. I am not looking for a trading buddy to help make calls but simple to spend a couple hours a week going over charts and talking concepts and so forth.

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am sure there is someone else out there that would find this of great help and were we can both benefit from this.

Hi Quantumtrader!

Same to me, Now i am only use Wyckoff method for my trading and analyst, hope we can discuss and share to hepls each other go ahead.

I am not trading crude oil but i have to analyze it because my boss requirement.

The original course had two parts. One, The Richard D. Wyckoff Method of Trading and Investing in Stocks: A Course of Instruction in Stock Market Science and Technique is uploaded here (as most know by now). The second part is a 97-page document entitled The Richard D. Wykcoff Method of Trading in Stocks: A Course of Instruction in Tape Reading and Active Trading.

Db

Edited by DbPhoenix
Update link

...The second part is a 97-page document entitled The Richard D. Wykcoff Method of Trading in Stocks: A Course of Instruction in Tape Reading and Active Trading...

Db

I have a copy of this "Tape Reading and Active Trading" in pdf. I got it online and I don't know whether it is appropriate to post it here. If you think it's OK, I can upload it.

I have a copy of this "Tape Reading and Active Trading" in pdf. I got it online and I don't know whether it is appropriate to post it here. If you think it's OK, I can upload it.

That would be great. I'm sure those who want to know more about tape reading would be very appreciative.

Db