Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

kevinphillips

I Need Some Help

Hi

I am brand new to stock trading and would like some simple tips and strategies to help me get started. I am already day Trading using Spread betting which we use in the UK.

It would be great if you could share some easy strategies which I could apply, backtest etc.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Andrew Phillips

Hi

I am brand new to stock trading and would like some simple tips and strategies to help me get started. I am already day Trading using Spread betting which we use in the UK.

It would be great if you could share some easy strategies which I could apply, backtest etc.

Thanks in advance

Kevin Andrew Phillips

Well Kevin, part of this job is to do a little work. So, search this forum, head to google, check out elitetrader, etc. and then start the process of what we all go through.

Good luck. There is no easy way to the riches or holy grail, so make sure to spend a little time researching.

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Let me give you a quick rundown on what I’ve done over the last 3 Months, Firstly I Got a home DVD Course from Darren Winters, a Comprehensive Share Trading Course. 6 Hours covering the basics. I attended a 3 Day Course with Vince Dowd from Serine Investor. I go to Network meetings here in the UK and learnt a lot from them.

I use TC2000 for technical analysis and IGindex to trade.

I have paper traded about 100 trades, and made more than I lost. I am now day trading using the leverage of spread betting and beginning to make headway. What I am really looking for is some strategies used by the professional trader which I can paper trade and back test to see which ones suites me best.

Do you know of any web sites or forums you use which discuss these issues. I would be very grateful for any ideas or advice.

By the way it’s now 3 o’clock in the morning, I really should get some sleep. Thanks again for replying to my post. I really appreciate it.

Kevin

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

Let me give you a quick rundown on what I’ve done over the last 3 Months, Firstly I Got a home DVD Course from Darren Winters, a Comprehensive Share Trading Course. 6 Hours covering the basics. I attended a 3 Day Course with Vince Dowd from Serine Investor. I go to Network meetings here in the UK and learnt a lot from them.

I use TC2000 for technical analysis and IGindex to trade.

I have paper traded about 100 trades, and made more than I lost. I am now day trading using the leverage of spread betting and beginning to make headway. What I am really looking for is some strategies used by the professional trader which I can paper trade and back test to see which ones suites me best.

Do you know of any web sites or forums you use which discuss these issues. I would be very grateful for any ideas or advice.

By the way it’s now 3 o’clock in the morning, I really should get some sleep. Thanks again for replying to my post. I really appreciate it.

Kevin

Kevin,

I think you'll find A LOT of GREAT info right here on TL, you simply have to take the time to look around. There's A LOT here, so take your time. Elitetrader is also a trading forum but the good info is buried in between a lot of trash. Outside of that, that's what google is for.

Good luck!

I've been spread betting for the last 15 months and one thing I've learned is not to use too much margin. For quite a while I kept my net "Trading resources" balance ( (cash) minus (open profit or loss) minus (margin requirement) ) to around 10 to 20 percent of my net overall balance ((cash) minus (open profit or loss) ). I found that when markets went against me, I was ending some stock trades at time I'd rather not, in order to free up the margin.

Currently I'm aiming for keeping a 30 to 40% ratio of "Trading resources" to "net overall balance ".

If trading stocks, especially in the current markets, you may want to aim for an equal(ish) ratio of up bets to down bets too.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

You learn to drive by driving.

You learn to swim by swimming.

You learn to trade by trading.

Go to any professional trading firm, and their training program will broadly consist of 10% theory / trading setups / etc and 90% live trading.

The time to sit down and analyse is when you are analysing your own trading results.

Use all other outlets (forums, books, etc.) as a means to bounce ideas, learn new things, etc. to compliment your actual trading.

Hi

Thanks in advance

Kevin Andrew Phillips

Don't Spread bet. you are better to trade the index futures market. With spreadbetting you are trading at broker prices, which make it virtually impossible to make a consistant profit. With futures trading you are trading in the market at true market prices.

A good chap to read on trading is Michael jardine you can see him at Enthios.com. There is some good free tuff on there.

You learn to drive by driving.

You learn to swim by swimming.

You learn to trade by trading.

Go to any professional trading firm, and their training program will broadly consist of 10% theory / trading setups / etc and 90% live trading.

The time to sit down and analyse is when you are analysing your own trading results.

Use all other outlets (forums, books, etc.) as a means to bounce ideas, learn new things, etc. to compliment your actual trading.

What a great post smwinc ... it challenged my thinking ... I reckon it deserves a thread of its own. Thanks very much.

Hi O.I.C.

I would like some day trade, and swing strategies to backtest

Advice on good times/days to trade on what markets and what to avoid like the plague.

Any web site people have found useful and why.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Kevin

:missy::missy:

Hi O.I.C.

Advice on good times/days to trade on what markets and what to avoid like the plague.

Kevin

:missy::crap:

Kev:

Kev:

Without knowing what your background is in Technical Analysis the safest program for you is not to guess about how and where you place your mony for those who would prefer TAKING your mony rather than giving their mony to you.

First order of business is go and take a thorough read on a short and concise book on establishing DEFINED trading ranging on ANY market or equity you may address. The book is an $8.00 investment. The book is called Stikky Charts read it,digest it and once you understand and are able to execute effectively Primary Trading Ranges, Rising and Falling Price Ranges we will talk again.

Regards,

And remember....there is always a market to trade...preservation of your mony comes first.....opportunities are around every corner...you must not guess when trading.

O.I.C.

Hi O.I.C.

Kevin

Kev:

Did you get my response?

O.I.C.