Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

jjthetrader

IRT Features

Good morning Chad, does IRT have a market depth type of window graphically showing bid and ask at say 4 levels away from price? It's a feature I had in tradestation so just wondering if I have it now with IRT?

thanks

JJ

While Market Depth is not currently available in Investor/RT, it is on our short list. Look for it in the coming months.

Chad, is there a way to remove the open from an traditional bar? I just want HLC, not OHLC.

thanks

JJ,

We don't have a specific drawing style for "High Low Close". If you right-click in a chart and choose "type"...you'll see the different drawing styles available. What I did in the chart below, and this might work for you...I made the style "High Low Bars" and then added dots at the close (using a 1 period Moving Average on Close and drawing as dotted). You can import the definition below if you like.

http://www.charthub.com/images/2008/03/05/HLC_Bars_2.png

HLC_Bars.png

Chad,

I am wondering why my charts on IRT do not match my esignal charts exact.

I have attached two pics . The curser is right at 8:40 on both charts and you will notice that the candles are not the same as far a range, open, and close. Both charts are exactly the same interval tick charts and they are both set to 24 hours. Should the candels not be exactly the same?

By the way they are both getting data from the same source so I dont think that's it.

esig1.thumb.jpg.cc4ecfe5d8c036d6b36604ac60404017.jpg

IR1.thumb.jpg.1b92de859905daa6b0356c1971f8eaf8.jpg

Chad,

I have attached two pics . The curser is right at 8:40 on both charts and you will notice that the candles are not the same as far a range, open, and close. Both charts are exactly the same interval tick charts and they are both set to 24 hours. Should the candels not be exactly the same?

By the way they are both getting data from the same source so I dont think that's it.

stan - you would think so. ;)

This has nothing to do with IRT, but I have found that you can run charts side-by-side as you've done here with the same settings and get different results all the time... why? Hopefully Chad knows but I've heard everything from it's the data vendor, the exchange, your internet connection, the exchange's internet, the charting feed internet connection, etc. etc.

Chad,

It's hard to tell specifically what's causing the difference in this case, as I don't know the logic & details behind the other program/chart, but there can be a few reasons. Since both charts are being fed by the same data feed, that rules out the fact that some data feeds package multiple trades together into one tick, while others don't.

With tick-based (tikcbars), volume-based (volume bars), or price range-based (range bars) periodicities, the formation of the bars is highly on the date/time where the bars begin. Investor/RT has an option for "Continuous Tick & Volume Bars" in setup: prefs: charts: general window. When checked, tickbars can cross session boundaries. When unchecked, tickbars will begin fresh at the beginning of each session. If using the former, the view period of the chart determines where the bars begin. If using the later, the bars always begin at the start of session. And in turn, you can setup your charts on the day session (sess 2) or the globex sess (sess 2).

Regardless, the underlying data is the same, but when you change the starting point of when you begin packaging that data into groups of ticks....then the bars will form differently. Hope that makes sense.

Slowly picking up the full functionality of IRT. I also use CQG but IRT has most of the features available at tremendously lower costs.

Heres a snapshot of my charts to show what IRT can do for you. Pretty neat. The horizontal lines are automatic mp levels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5494&stc=1&d=1205412628

10min_ES.thumb.png.1004f28fc80b42eaa954f02050fec9da.png

Hi Chad,

If I already have a datafeed that isn't compatible with investor/rt, but I can export the database into a text file, is it possible to use this data? I think the backfill service is great, but it just seems a bit needless if I already have the data...

Yes. As long as you can export the data to a text file or csv file, you can import it into Investor/RT. That includes tick data, daily data, monthly data, etc. You can even schedule periodic imports of data from specific files if needed.

To import data, choose "file: import: data". Once import window appears, hit the F1 key for help on importing.

Chad