Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

drsushi

Higher Time Frame Indicator for TS

Hello,

I'm not a TS programmer, so I'm going to ask for help on this. Also, tell me if it's a dumb idea as well.

I have limited screen space so instead of having to have multiple charts up for a higher time frame I was wondering if it possible and relatively easy to create a TS showme that prints a dot above each candle indicating the trend direction on a highet timeframe. So, for example, if I generally look at a 266 tick chart and i want to know what the trend is on a timeframe multiple of 3 or 4 times would it be possible to show a dot on the 266 tick chart indicating the trend of the 1064 tick chart (266*4)? A red dot for down or green for up. Of course this could be as complicated depending on the modifiable inputs such as higher timeframe and number of bars to determine trend etc. Any help is appreciated. By the way, I want to sell it for $499. Just kidding :)

David

David

It is possible to do, however when using tick charts you need to use ADE, which stands for "All Data Everywhere", and it is available from the TS forum. ADE is also quite CPU intensive, so you have to take that into consideration.

If you were using min to min data, then that would be straightforward.

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

Alternatively, if this is as complicated as you plan to get with interchart stuff, you could send highest time trend to a TS global variable and pick it up and plot it on lower time frame charts.

I just installed the Global Variable DLLs and got it to work. I have a 699-tick chart (my higher timeframe) that passes trend data (crossover events) to my 233-tick chart (my lower timeframe), which paints a dot on the bar of the trend change. Sweet!

However…

…this appears to work only with real-time data. In other words, it's useless for back testing. Is this true, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes GV is useless for back testing.

Only holds one / real time / current value

hth

Edited by zdo
spelling and grammar

Another way is maintaining a 'synthetic' HTP high low close series based on the lower time frame bar using a multiplier. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

Input NumBars(5);

BarCount = BarCount + 1;

HTPbarH = maxlist(HTPbarH, H);

HTPbarL = minlist(HTPbarL, L);

if Barcount = NumBars

begin

BarCount =0;

HTPbarH=High;

HTPbarL=Low;

etc. etc.

Well, the global variables just did not cut it. I needed something that would work with back testing. I next tried ADE and WOW! :)

In my opinion, ADE is the way to go. I've installed it, created my own Classes and have been converting my favorite indicators to pass data to other tick-based charts. It works great. Highly recommended if you trade with multiple time frames.

Search for it on the TS forums.

Guest forsearch
Well, the global variables just did not cut it. I needed something that would work with back testing. I next tried ADE and WOW! :)

In my opinion, ADE is the way to go. I've installed it, created my own Classes and have been converting my favorite indicators to pass data to other tick-based charts. It works great. Highly recommended if you trade with multiple time frames.

How resource intensive is this on the CPU?

How resource intensive is this on the CPU?

I’ve not noticed a performance drop. Everything seems to work just fine. I’m often running ADE with 699-tick and 233-tick charts. I’ll have other work spaces open as well and all running smooth.

I picked up an Apple Mac Mini last year to exclusively run TradeStation. If you’ve not seem them they are small little boxes about 6” wide and 2” tall. This fits nicely on a desk or hidden under a desk. I’m running on an Apple Mac Mini, Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83 GHz processor, 80-gig drive and 1 gig of ram.

The OS is Windows EP Home Edition.

In short, it does not seem to be an issue with todays modern desktop computer.