Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

wsam29

TTM/DDF Value Chart

For any indicator there will be people swearing by it and people saying it is junk. Asking if this is a useful addition, is like asking if a jetski is useful without knowing if you are living in the middle of the desert, or next to a lake. With other words, how useful it is is entirely dependent on the way you are trading and no one can answer that for you. You will just have to look for yourself if this is useful for you.

I see what you're saying, but that's why I asked specifically "has anyone found this useful" to let people who have found it useful chime in, rather than asking absolutely "so is it useful?"

I see what you're saying, but that's why I asked specifically "has anyone found this useful" to let people who have found it useful chime in, rather than asking absolutely "so is it useful?"

Since the indicator exists, obviously someone has found it useful for something at some point.

If I tell you that I have found it useful in the past, how does this help you? Are you going to start using it now?

Since the indicator exists, obviously someone has found it useful for something at some point.

If I tell you that I have found it useful in the past, how does this help you? Are you going to start using it now?

Nevermind...........

I've spent quite a bit of time messing with bands, so at first glance this looked pretty interesting. Just for laughs I went ahead and did a quick and dirty plot to the price panel. Doesn't look so hot there, but it does make me scratch my chin a bit about the possibilities that this kind of "back handed" smoothing (i.e. plotting price over normalized bands, rather than the standard way.) may hold.

Vchartasbands.thumb.jpg.c3aca6072813e4f1989ec0c3125625ae.jpg

I have watched this indicator for a few days now and am having difficulty seeing it utility. Repeated overbought/oversold signals give many false entries. Is anyone using the Value Chart indicator successfully and if so, how?

I'm trying to get the alert to work on the value charts has anyone been successful with this. I have played with the settings in the format section and got nothing. i have also added a horizontal line and set an alert on that line but nothing. does anyone have any insight or luck setting alerts?

Using tradestation

thanks

gators

Are there any special settings to get these to work (the ones available for free from the tradethemarket.com site)?

I have installed the ELD and also the workspaces per instructions.

TTM DDF Automatic works perfectly. However, The TTM DDF Value Chart never appears (although you can see it is inserted into the chart window). I have attached a chart.

Any help is appreciated.

5aa70ead6cb86_TTMDDFValue.GIF.ce6ac8b8a748315957d079b182e2ee2a.GIF

Thanks all for posting the Value Chart indicator, particularly Blu Ray for his version with -/+8 alerts and bar color change.

Is there any way to create in TS the Price Action Profile histograms (or equivalent) that Helweg and Stendahl describe in their book as complementary to Value Charts?

Max

No idea if you can do this in TradeStation, but if TS allows you to export the data then you can do this type of analysis in excel. See attached pic, this isn't Val charts, but you get the principle. If you google things like frequency, bin, histogram, standard deviation, excel then it's pretty easy to do.

Post back if you have any questions.

2009-02-28_1200.thumb.png.2bc5bb73b512510539887c9e7afe69ea.png

I don't have TS so I've no idea if you can export data, I would have thought so though. If you can't do this then I could post a spreadsheet for the market and periodicity you're looking at if you post your findings here. I don't use Val charts but it might be useful for others.

I'm not sure whether I really need Price Action Profiles, I was just asking so I could examine them if they were available. However thanks again altradelab for your kind offer.

No problem. One thing to bear in mind is that if you are planning to use value charts or if you do already, esp intraday, then it might be interesting to look at the price action profiles i.e. "how often does a +/-8 reading actually occur on a certain timeframe". This might give you more or less confidence in taking the signal.

Just my 2c

Yes - I guess I could also just eyeball back to the left and examine how VC signals work with the price chart. I suppose there's no reason why 7.5 might not be the critical level for a particular stock/future/whatever, and 8.25 for another.

Here's the DDF and Value charts right from TTM. Enjoy.Value Charts calculations were actually freely given in Helwegs book and can be recreated in any programing language. I actually put them in Ninja as well just from the calc in the book.

could you send me the elds for ninja for the DDF and valuechart. Great post and keep up the good work for us non programmers.

Uncle MIke

I was messing about with Value Charts on TS the other day. I discovered that if you change the NumBars value (Format/Inputs page in TS) from the default 5 to somewhere between 20 and 50, then set VHigh and Vlow (Format/Style page) to Histogram (default BarHigh and BarLow), you get something which behaves quite like a Squeeze indicator. Using a centre line cross as signal, it's rarely slower, and more often faster, than all the free posted Squeezes I've tried, but it appears consistently slower than the current commercial PBF Squeeze. It can sometimes also call tops and bottoms more accurately than the default 5 bar setting. See attached chart - the indicators are, top to bottom:

Squeeze - the fastest one I found posted on this forum.

Blu Ray's Value Chart posted on this forum (Thanks for that Blu Ray), in Histogram mode and 50 bar setting with +/- 8 alert set.

Blue Ray's Valu Chart in default 5 bar mode with +/- 8 value alert set.

Max

5aa70eb907063_5and50tickVCandSqueeze.thumb.jpg.8b13ffacdf66c438b94387df9d2108bd.jpg