Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Trade with an Apple?

I dont know if this is the proper place for this thread, but is anyone using an apple computer to trade?

I havent done much research yet, so I dont know if the different trading platforms will even operate through an apple setup...

?

I use an apple laptop when i am on the road. Thing is that none of my trusted aps for trading work on the mac side. So what I did is install parallels. This way you can run windows and mac os at the same time. When I am trading I just flip over to the windows side and it runs everything great. Just need to make sure you have intel proc, and ma out as much ram as you can.

I use an apple laptop when i am on the road. Thing is that none of my trusted aps for trading work on the mac side. So what I did is install parallels. This way you can run windows and mac os at the same time. When I am trading I just flip over to the windows side and it runs everything great. Just need to make sure you have intel proc, and ma out as much ram as you can.

Ditto. Run my mac book pro with parallels. Not a multi screen workstation, but in an airport or hotel it runs everything I need to get by.

I am not a computer guru, but I do have a mac notebook.

Would "trading" through an apple setup be slower, or worse in any way? (when running the parallel setup)

I am looking to buy a desktop setup, and I would love to go with a apple setup if it is on equal footing with a pc setup.

If you are using on of the new mac's you will have more then enough juice to run parallels(just make sure you get enough ram in it). My macbook pro with windows on it runs equal if not better then my pc.

I also think about switching and buying an apple.

What keeps me a bit away from the imac at the moment is the gradient issue specially the 20" version has. I tested it in the store and it was true. If you for example have a grey desktop background, the colour is darker in the upper left than in the bottom right corner.

At the moment I think about a mac mini with a nice eizo display. BTW, is it easy to use two displays with a mac mini or do you always need an adapter/switch?

Does someone have any experience with parallels and tradestation?

I also think about switching and buying an apple.

What keeps me a bit away from the imac at the moment is the gradient issue specially the 20" version has. I tested it in the store and it was true. If you for example have a grey desktop background, the colour is darker in the upper left than in the bottom right corner.

At the moment I think about a mac mini with a nice eizo display. BTW, is it easy to use two displays with a mac mini or do you always need an adapter/switch?

Does someone have any experience with parallels and tradestation?

The Mac Mini is not really designed to be a workhorse. I have one for just surfing/music/watching movies, but I wouldn't use it for trading unless I had to. A Mac or PC with better specs (incl a graphics card with dedicated memory, rather than integrated graphics borrowing from the RAM capacity) would be commendable.

All trading platforms that I have tested on Xp on Parallels have worked just fine. I have not tried Tradestation, but from what I've heard, that one works as well. If you Google on "parallels tradestation" you'll find some on that subject. Anyhow - unless the Mac is powerful enough with enough RAM, you could have performance issues.

Best,

fxjaykay

The Mac Mini is not really designed to be a workhorse. I have one for just surfing/music/watching movies, but I wouldn't use it for trading unless I had to. A Mac or PC with better specs (incl a graphics card with dedicated memory, rather than integrated graphics borrowing from the RAM capacity) would be commendable.

All trading platforms that I have tested on Xp on Parallels have worked just fine. I have not tried Tradestation, but from what I've heard, that one works as well. If you Google on "parallels tradestation" you'll find some on that subject. Anyhow - unless the Mac is powerful enough with enough RAM, you could have performance issues.

Best,

fxjaykay

Thanks fxjaykay,

good to know. Then, the imac remains, mac pro is a bit too expensive.

I think 2 gig ram should be minimum.

Still thinking if it's good to have an emulated (Parallels) trading software. :confused:

There is another plus which no one has mentioned yet which is the lack of viruses for Mac's. No need for antivirus or anti-spyware so the computer does run quicker. If you are going to run parallels, you could do so and dedicate the windows side to just trading and install a firewall to prevent hacking. So long as you don't peruse some of the less scrupulous sites or download email attachments on the windows side, antivirus, to me at least, is not necessary.

So long as you can maintain strict discipline with your browsing habits you can get away with alot less.

If you so desire, the mac mini may work. It can be configured from Apple to come with 2GB of RAM. If you are only running trading software at the times you are trading and not applications that hog the memory, it should be more than adequate. I've been quite surprised with what my mini can do (photoshop and the like)

FWIW, I use a mac pro with dual monitors, one for parallels with windows and ninja, one with OSX for everything else. I hate windows, but at least I can be on OSX and use it only for ninja.

I have a Mac Pro with 4 monitors. I've run Parallels for sometime with both Genesis TradeNavigator and and eSignal. I can say using either across 3 monitors is absolute crap. Parallels runs ok with 2 monitors but anything more than that and performance degrades markedly with noticeable lag.

I have now switched over to Investor/RT using OS X with DTN.IQ for realtime datafeed. There is no comparison. The software blows eSignal and Genesis out of the water and no performance problems whatsoever across all 4 monitors. If you want to use your Mac and not want the hassle of Parallels I would recommend having a look at IRT.

If you want to stick to whatever Windows based software you are using you may want to have a look at VM Ware Fusion 2.0. The latest reports are indicating that it is superior to Parallels.

I should probably add that I have 2 Nvidia 8800 GT Gfx cards with 2 DVI connectors per card, currently I have 3 20" apple cinema displays hocked up. Made a mistake initially and got 2 different cards which Vista doesn't like at all so I had to get a new one and replace the ATI one that shipped with the Mac Pro. This is a limitation/feature in Vista... Now everything work really well though.

I run 4 19" monitors w/ DVI off my Mac Pro and as klassej mentions it is incredibly fast. I use Investor/RT for Mac on 3 monitors for all charting and it has been excellent. I run Windows XP on 1 monitor using VMWare Fusion 2.0 for my Photon Trade Platform. However, if you were using something like Zeroline Trader like Harlequin mentions, or the Mac version of Interactive Brokers trade platform, one wouldn't need to use an inferior OS like Windows at all.