Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

goldspot

Accessing Market Indices in Easy Language

My question is let's say I am short on "MSFT" and ndaq increases very fast. I want to cover my position

if ndaq is > X value.

In running strategy for MSFT, how can you access quote for ndaq or tick or spy etc inside your strategy.

I tried but it said you can't call

Thanks,

Arun

I tried but it said you can't call

Arun

Welcome to the fourm. Your question kind of got cut off in mid sentence. It would be helpful to know the specifics. However, this is easily doable given some limitations and is well documented in the TS code forum. Here is a sample code with MSFT as data1 and $NDX.X as data2 (just insert into the same chart), using a well known indicator by LBR (3/10 oscillator) to generate the signals. It is true that you can only trade on data1, you can't have tick or vol in a multi-symbol chart and that you can't do intrabar order generation on an event in data2 (unless you try global variables):

{The LBR 3/10 oscillator is the difference between a 3 and 10 period simple moving average. 
Add another 16-period simple moving average of the 3/10 on top of it. }

{Sample two data strategy, **************do not trade as is************ }

inputs: Price(Close), Price2(Close data2), 
	Avg1(3),   
	Avg2(10), 
	Avg3(16), 
	Avg21(3),
	Avg22(10),
	Avg23(16);

vars:
	HH(0),LL(0);

if Currentbar > 30 then begin
Value1 = Average(Price,Avg1)-Average(Price,Avg2);
Value21 = Average(Price2,Avg21)-Average(Price2,Avg22);

Value2 = Average(Value1,Avg3);
Value22 = Average(Value21,Avg23);

If Value21 crosses over Value22 then 
  	Buy ( "B1" ) next bar at market ;

If Value1 crosses under Value2 then
	Sellshort ( "SS1" ) next bar at market;

end;

attachment.php?attachmentid=4608&stc=1&d=1198615859

Please do not trade this as is, it is not profitable. Blue Ray has kindly attached a copy of the LBR 3/10 osc here on TL: http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/34/the-chimp-s-new-futures-scalps-2788-4.html#post25515

5aa70e2ec90be_Sample2dataLBRstrategy2007-12-25_153114.png.c9104d9f18ebb0c808b2f28bab7a09da.png

I tried adding symbols tick and trin to chart but when i add like $dji or $ndx.x it says "you may not mix symbols with different delays in the same window"

Don't now why. I appreciate your answer it does help. Looking forward

Thanks,

Amit

"you may not mix symbols with different delays in the same window"Don't now why.
Sometimes that is TS's way of asking your for more money :( (you'll need to subscribe to the proper exchange data in order to mix data; TS will generally not allow delayed data to be mixed with live). It is possible to use ADE and lot more work to get around this limitation. see for example: https://www.tradestation.com/Discussions/Topic.aspx?Topic_ID=33398