Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Why the Fed bailout might not work

Interesting article. I think there has been a lot of political intervention to get the central banks to intervene. Only a few months ago the Bank of England was saying it's not their job to bail out banks that had made bad bets but now that's exactly what they're doing. It's just creating more problems for the future.

The BOE has also lowered interest rates and offered loans to housing lenders, so GBP and USD are both attempting to limit further slides.

What is needed though is something to inspire longer term confidence and that is still lacking so we are still left with taking each day as it comes.

Prior to the recent falls in GBP and USD, Pounds were "invested" in EURUSD and USD were "invested" in CAD. Those "investments" have recently been reversed or "cashed in", sorry I don't know a better way of describing it.

It suggests that the major slides in GBP and USD are finished, but again it tells you nothing constructive about the future. I wonder if news gets deliberately leaked after the movements have already been factored into the markets. Three days ago it would have been nice to know that CAD was going to slide for three days but how much use is that information now?

Recently JPY and EUR have been strong but only in relative terms, they lacked the weakness of GBP and USD, neither has actual strength imo.

Unfortunately I have not had time to follow things properly but my impression is that there is no single currency that inspires confidence so I am inclined to keep my money in my pocket over Xmas/NewYear unless the market gives me a better reason than it has recently to think that the reward might be in proportion to the risk. Mostly all I see is risk on offer, without reward.