Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Mastering The Trade by John F. Carter

Although there are bits of useful trading ideas in this book. my previous suspicion of this book being nothing more than a promo piece for his more expensive paid services can be substantiated by one of his most recent webinar entitled : " How to become the top 1% of all internet marketers', or something to that effect.

Guest MRC & Co

Yeh, great book, but his 'indicators' are BS priced and you don't need them anyways, they are almost worthless IMHO.

It's how you apply it in a discretional manner that counts.

Oh and it doesn't take nearly 10 years to become a successful trader. Some guys who are good can be a gun within a year.

I would recommend this book. I was a floor trader and used a lot of these ideas. This book was able to put what I did into words.

One of John Carter's most well-known techniques was using the Daily Pivots, for instance, by placing an order to buy at S1 and place a stop under S2, or short R1 and place stop above R2. I hope that is not what you are talking about.

Guest MRC & Co

Though I think his 'custom indicators' are complete BS and his prices are a complete rip-off, the chapter on market internals was excellent!

Worth it alone just to read this chapter and John does seem a pretty damn genuine guy despite his site looking like a total sales pitch sometimes.

Since he basically stole his indicators from the TS forums, do him a favor and find a free PDF version of his book if you are interested. Just using google for a minute would suffice.

I like that sentiment! I bought his book before I knew too much about ttm. Can't remember why to be honest. The book is OK, nothing special, certainly not one I would particularly recommend. I find it odd some 'snake oil' salesman are tolerated others not. I think what they did with their stolen indicators is pretty reprehensible. Again the irony is they are only OK anyway.

I like that sentiment! I bought his book before I knew too much about ttm. Can't remember why to be honest. The book is OK, nothing special, certainly not one I would particularly recommend. I find it odd some 'snake oil' salesman are tolerated others not. I think what they did with their stolen indicators is pretty reprehensible. Again the irony is they are only OK anyway.

I agree. If I actually got something out of the book I would have purchased it. But I really didnt find anything of value out of his book.

.... I bought his book before I knew too much about ttm. Can't remember why to be honest. The book is OK, nothing special, certainly not one I would particularly recommend......

Same here...... and I agree with other peoples comments/sentiments about TTM/indicators etc.

You got that right!

img1.jpgimg2.jpgimg3.jpgimg4.jpgimg9.jpgimg10.jpg

I wonder if anyone is trading by his setups? Not only for pivots but also gap trading and scalping. I finished reading his book but i wonder if those setups really work.

he is using few different setups. The ones i liked the most are

1) gap trading (fading the opening gaps) if volume is less than 30 000 on dow jones futures

2) fading the pivot points on choppy day markets

3) using squeeze indicator (basically when bolinger bands are inside the Keltner Channels and than they shoot out of them...he is playing on volatility here)

Share your experiences

thx