Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

mister ed

Computer question.

I have a computer-related question if anyone can help?

I recently changed my video card to a dual head so that I could run two monitors. I couldn’t believe how easy it was nor how little it cost (ebay). High-end video cards for 3D games run into big $ but the card I got is for 2D applications like …charts!;)

OK, now the problem is I want to add another monitor (I have replaced the addiction of adding more indicators to my charts with one for adding more monitors…). The card I installed went into the AGP slot, and there is only one AGP slot on my board, so I cant add another of the cards I recently installed.

The solutions I have thought of, in the order of attractiveness for me follow, can anyone comment on their experiences or thoughts on these possible solutions?

1. Buy a dual head PCI-compatible video card. A pretty cheap solution again but my concern is I hear is here can be a lot of compatibility problems.

2. Buy a piece of software called MaxiVista (nothing to do with Windows Vista, I run XP by the way) that will allow me to run a third monitor without adding anything to my existing PC beyond a USB cable. It does require a 2nd PC, but an old one will do; I have one not being used at present (it is very old….). Again, this is a cheap solution.

3. OK, now it starts to get expensive – buy a peripheral from Matrox called DualHead2Go – I plug it into one of the outputs on the current dual head card and I can run two monitors on that output instead of 1, so 3 monitors in total. Or TripleHead2Go, same set-up, but will allow up to 4 monitors (I will stop at 3, really, honestly….) but VERY expensive. Really too expensive to even consider, could almost buy a new PC for the price of these.

4. There are some freeware programs that do the job of MaxiVista (point 2) but they look too complex for me to manage.:confused:

5. Buy a new PC with two AGP slots (do these even exist?) and two dual head video cards.

Lest you think I am spending too much, the monitors I have are all CRT 17 inchers, gathered over the years with PC purchases.. The only LCD display in the house was claimed by my wife for her computer – best not to argue with her…

Over to the collective....

Just add a pci card. You should have no issues under most circumstances.

A new system will use pci-e slots so your agp card won't work and you'll have to get 2 cards.

You could use the external box but like you said those are pricey.

Thanks for that - sounds like that is the go - shouldn't you be asleep by now in NY?

:o, I'm a midnight marauder. Since my mental trading state isn't where I want it I'm still on the grind learning. ;)

Any other computer questions fire away. Myself and some others on here are techie types.

OK Abe, might be a question of giving it a try then using the 2 PCI card solution as a fallback, thanks for that.

MciChoki, where you say:

"Since my mental trading state isn't where I want it I'm still on the grind learning." Yes, I'm there too. I like your sig, and yes WE WILL get there.

OK Abe, might be a question of giving it a try then using the 2 PCI card solution as a fallback, thanks for that.

MciChoki, where you say:

"Since my mental trading state isn't where I want it I'm still on the grind learning." Yes, I'm there too. I like your sig, and yes WE WILL get there.

Thanks...nothing to it but to press on and rule out all that doesn't work so we know what does and stick to the rules. :)

I would select pci based video card from the SAME manufacturer, that would minimize any conflict during installation.. . You can also have more then one PCI video card ( in addition to AGP), in case you find that 3 monitors is not enough :).

There are also agp cards that can drive 2 or 4 monitirs - yet another solution

MciChoki, where you say:

Hey Ed. I'm dealing with a similar issue right now and I admit I underestimated how sensitive these video card setups can be. I just found out that my 2 ATI Radeon, one PCI and one AGP are not supported together. Not even 2 PCI bus types are supported together. But 2 PCI Express cards of the same type should work with ATI. They call it crossfire. I suggest you talk with the manufacturer of the video card about the setup you are considering before you commit.

I would select pci based video card from the SAME manufacturer, that would minimize any conflict during installation.. . You can also have more then one PCI video card ( in addition to AGP), in case you find that 3 monitors is not enough :).

There are also agp cards that can drive 2 or 4 monitirs - yet another solution

About how much do those 4monitor AGP cards cost?

I have a computer-related question if anyone can help?

I

1. Buy a dual head PCI-compatible video card. A pretty cheap solution again but my concern is I hear is here can be a lot of compatibility problems.

Here is a site that discusses compatibility issues with a database of users who have tried various combinations of video cards. Use the database to see if the combination of cards you are interested in has been looked at before.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon

Thanks Jerry - that site looks to be very helpful.

Abe, yes I think talking to the manufactures before committing is a good idea, this is getting complicated!

So true Miste Ed. So true.

So true Miste Ed. So true.

Hehehehehe, it helps to look at it as a learning experience...

And seriously, for me it is. Already this thread has given me an idea of what is and isn't possible. Getting a dual monitor display seems to be the low-hanging fruit, easy to do. Now its just a matter of going a little further up the tree...

Mods, would it possible to change the name if this thread? It might be more helpful to others searching with similar questions to mine if it was renamed "Multi-monitor display question" or something like that?