Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ptop

Multicharts

Is there any multichart users out there? Is it as good as tradestation and what app is the best on resources? It seems to be able to use all of the tradestation code but some say it is a resource hog.

Thanks

Hello

I'm using MultiCharts, it works perfectly (IMHO) and after their latest release the performance is okay - it uses alot of ram (300kb) but that is maybe because I have 6 Workspaces each with between 2 and 4 charts :)

I've only seen TS at videos, TS is a much more mature work - no doubt about that, but TSSupport is ongoing in the developing MC, besides that, they are very nice in their forum and listens to new ideas for whatever feature you want.

januson I just installed MC and am having problems with daily charts, i am using IB data and all I'm able to get is 1 day data and 2 months forward from today without data, I have tried all day to set this up with no luck, tried there forum but it seems u can't even register for the forum????Does someone here know how I can register for the forum? Also to change multiple chart symbols is hit and miss mostly miss, u would think with all the linking abilities that u would be able to link to the quotemanager???? I go to format symbol and enter symbol and nothing. Is there also a way for IB clients to get more than 6 months data like Ensign has and also continuous contract? And what is with the quote manager it's not even streaming data, this is the first charting package that I have seen without this or am I missing it?

Thanks

Also I installed the tick delta that i got from soultrader here in MC and it is showing the volume bars as 2 different bars 1 behind the other, do u use this with multicharts and if so did u notice the same thing?

brown IB allows 6 months, the strange thing is i set 5 months in MC and it would show the current trading day and 2 month ahead as in it was November 2 and would show dates at bottom of chart to January 2 2008??

Thanks for your response brown

I use MC. Its strongest point is the easylanguage compatibility. Customer service is great too. This is my main reason for selecting it. Prototyping ideas in easy language while being able to draw on the public domain code base.

I have to say in most other areas I find it average to weak. To be fair now it has reached version 2.1 it is better however this is the first version I feel is worthy of release status. It still feels kind of slow and clunky in use and has quirks (most would call bugs) that irritate rather than are catastrophic. I certainly wouldn't trust it to auto trade. Looks like backtesting is coming together (never used it) but the data management is still lacking. To me this is daft as what is the point of running back tests if you cant maintain the data how you like.

Really depends what you want to do. The price I paid for it (a couple of years back when it really was almost unusable at times) was a bargain if you look at the product today. Of course now its over 10 times the price! Not sure exactly how they are pricing it right now but its starting to get in range of products like Neoticker which is a superb product and far more mature and powerful (though has a steep learning curve particularly if you want to program complex indicators, power has its price). If you draw a lot of lines or other geometric stuff or the studies you need are available built in or through DYO (design your won) Ensign is a great choice.

If it looks like it fits your needs give it a trial.