Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

The Chimp`s "Forex Trades"

Why the thumbs down icon on your post ??

Blue Ray

I have used a rotating gear, the second icon from left, on the top line. Certainly not a "thumbs down".

As a matter of fact, this set of "post icons", that is displayed on my screen, does not have a "thumbs down".

Do you have a different set of post icons?? Please post a picture of the post-icons that are displayed on your screen.

This could create serious misunderstandings.

Could the moderator please look into this?

Thanks.

PYenner, I certainly hope that your pc displays the rotating gear.

If not, I must say that the "thumbs up" icon, the right most on the second line, is most appropriate for the indicator. I used the gear as a symbol of action, thinking.

cheers

Unicorn

ps I placed a "thumbs up" on this message and a smilie right here :) the leftmost on the first line of smilies

5aa70e1539c81_posticons.jpg.0941236eb97522782600cdce71f88ed9.jpg

Blue Ray

I have used a rotating gear, the second icon from left, on the top line.

This is how the post is displayed on my screen.

And the current post message has the icon of a red bug.

5aa70e153dcf1_gearposticon.jpg.81e03caf8e84a190bd51b590611b374e.jpg

Blue Ray

I have used a rotating gear, the second icon from left, on the top line. Certainly not a "thumbs down".

As a matter of fact, this set of "post icons", that is displayed on my screen, does not have a "thumbs down".

Do you have a different set of post icons?? Please post a picture of the post-icons that are displayed on your screen.

This could create serious misunderstandings.

Could the moderator please look into this?

Thanks.

PYenner, I certainly hope that your pc displays the rotating gear.

If not, I must say that the "thumbs up" icon, the right most on the second line, is most appropriate for the indicator. I used the gear as a symbol of action, thinking.

cheers

Unicorn

ps I placed a "thumbs up" on this message and a smilie right here :) the leftmost on the first line of smilies

Apologies for the confusion, yes it shows a rotating gear, but when you hover the mouse over that icon, it say thumbs down.

No offence intended at all

Cheers

Blu-Ray

This is how the post is displayed on my screen.

And the current post message has the icon of a red bug.

There must obviously be a bug in the system....no pun intended, because that red bug says wink.

Sundowner`s chart got me inspired... so I feel making a video could help to start showing some real live situations here...

I hope this starts to make sense... I dont know if I am being enough clear... please dont hesitate to make any questions, I am also learning together with you guys... cheers Walter.

Some Trade Examples.swf

Cheers Walter

Thank you for the two new videos. The more of these you post, the clearer trading opportunities become. Great team, you and Pyenner.

I am wondering about the horizon line (axis). PYenner mentioned in a previous post, it was horizontal for a long time. I found the same thing on the EUR/JPY. What are your thoughts about how this affects trading?

Regards

About the blue line HE... I am actually using it as an axis... (only that).. not measuring any "laddering effect" on the blue one, as it is too heavy of a line to measure any direction actually...

Now the green line laddering, yes its very good for confirmations of directions...

I start too look more seriously this pair Eur/Jpy... thanks Sun.. cheers Walter.

Bruce;

Will you please explain the concept of the oscillator?

Which quantities it involves and the physical meaning of its construction?

Hi Unicorn

Umm it could take a while to explain all that goes on in an ADX which is where it comes from. Now the ADX is a momentum indicator but when you use smoothing it affectively adds in some of the price and the momentum signal gets to look more and more like the price action.

In some ways that can be good, easy to recognize, but in other ways it is confusing if you are wanting to be able to distinquish momentum from price.

Without smoothing, a momentum indicator will tell you if the last tick or ticks went up or down, by crossing the zero line, green or red with every tick and mostly it just alternates either side of zero and only spikes or ladders briefly then drops straight back to zero. So an honest momentum oscillator only tells you the speed of the price movement and that is only a small part of what a trader wants to know. A trader mostly wants to know price movement because his P/L is what its all about.

When you use smoothing, you get that price intrusion whether you want it or not, mostly it is ok but it can make for contradictions if you start asking why did it do that, what is it telling me?

If a momentum oscillator has little smoothing, you would start and end a trade on a zero crossing, trade the "hump" becuse it is telling you the speed and direction of movement. If there is more smoothing, it starts to resemble price and then you sell the peak and buy the dip. Different timing, different thinking.

Both from price peaks and from momentum peaks and from comparing differences between the two you can get overbought or lazy signals. Like everything else, these quarantee nothing but it still helps to forewarn you about which way the price might switch in the near future. Also the amount of smoothing can alter the relative heights of two peaks, it will only ever offer a warning, not a hard rule.

The ADX swings in only one direction, zero to one, some changes had to be made to get it to swing red and green. Removing the final stage (of three) made this possible but also made it "wild". The input is very sensitive and it had been the output stage that helped to reduce sensitivity to small changes under certain circumstances like pullback or reversal. The Bemac vma exploited that circumstantial lack of sensitivity in making HE's.

Both he and Walter were sharp in seeing its benefit.

Without that third stage, the signal swings like a reed in the breeze.

It is still an oridinary momenum signal.

It is still an ADX signal, but its "sensitivity curve" differs from ADX, its a real swinger.

One difficulty I have with mixing price with momentum is say on an up ladder, when there is pullback a momentum signal should immediately swing into red.

With price mixed in, you only see it move down some toward the red and you ask, how seriously should I take that?

Then when it does pullback across zero, what does that mean, is that total disaster or will it recover? Where pullback is concerned, I dont yet know how to read it, what is safe etc. Chart time is the only way to find an answer.

As Walter says, it is best used for confirmation, not as the only tool.

It has given me grief when the blue line is flat and its good swings have me trading a price that goes nowhere, I can be a bit thick at times, single minded. You only get to trade price swings, big fat momentum swings cant be traded sadly.

This might go on forever.

Re Cog icon

Yes I see the cog and I also take it to mean "working" or "thinking".

I see no point in having negative options to begin with.

The only time I tinkered with those icons I ended up giving myself a thumbs up and felt like a twit afterwards so I try to avoid those ones now.

Regards to all

Bruce

If we had to over-simplify the "Setuping" vision on the 5 min chart we could reduce it to this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=3585&stc=1&d=1193362558

here you can see the relationship between the three lines...

the yellow line doesnt need to be perfectly contained by the green one, there can be some error margin there... like this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=3586&stc=1&d=1193362786

Let me show some examples on next post...

5aa70e15549cd_5minsetuping.thumb.png.80aa0e04438b23bc8385ed8d9fcee20b.png

5aa70e15589c4_5minsetupingb.thumb.png.487112e3706b3101905d87466699d393.png

That simplification contains all the concetps of :

NET vs REFRESH Trend..

Centrifugal vs Centripetal Action...

All setups : Icon, Continuation, M`s (Lazy, Equal and False Break), Refresh... at the end respond to that morfology...

So lets say you understood how all the concepts work together but you want a simple graph on your mind that will resume all does concepts... well the graph on the previous post would do it...

Let me attach here some examples... they look very nice on Eur/Jpy...

The interpretation of my drawings is :

UP Arrow = Long

Down Arrow = Short

Green Arrow = Centrifugal Setup

Red Arrow = Centripetal Setup

All this chart show this simplified "setupings" on 5 min... cheers Walter.

1.thumb.png.7868c3bb3641b63cd482cd63b0bbc840.png

2.thumb.png.d8015a05886a6485057e5e3f7db12347.png

3.thumb.png.dfbac71fc6196dbe32f810fd1485d64e.png

4.thumb.png.edf1f5fdabec6b4cda448b159503ec85.png

5.thumb.png.0f910ea958b96960d7b0ff4d42e930fc.png

6.thumb.png.1b02dff6997836e65ee6df2699470b33.png

7.thumb.png.6a89a4c38c73d74dfedfe115734164e9.png

Ok... now that you understand all the concepts that are behind the chimp`s setups... he will make you the favor of showing you how he simplifies the reading of his setups... this is a way to relax and enjoy the ride... no need to be permanently overthinking the concepts behind the setups, just a simple view of the setups its good enough to be looking for the right trades...

Trading MUST be an enjoyable experience.. and simplification is one way to get there... cheers The Chimp.

Simplified Setups Presentations.swf

Hi Walter and hi all there. Great club here!

Thanks a lot, Walter, great videos. I need to review the videos of today:crap:, but I know they are great videos.

I have some questions for you:

What does Refresh mean for you in spanish? Refrescar, Retomar, Reanudar, Restaurar?

Why do you use Refresh to talk about tendency and to talk about an action? Sometimes I confuse with these terms. :confused:

Talking about timeframes. On this method (or system), do you see timeframes greater than 5 min? 15 min? 1 hr? Or it is not important for scalping techniques?

I remember that I read that you don't use the 1 min chart, you use a ticks chart, it is correct? why?

The SMA of the chimp2_1 is of 4 bars. Is it important for the method, or can I change for another of 2 bars, for example?

Thanks.:)

cattus

I will try to answer Cattus :

>>>What does Refresh mean for you in spanish? Refrescar, Retomar, Reanudar, Restaurar?>>>

It means Refrescar, con la idea de "volver a"...

>>>Why do you use Refresh to talk about tendency and to talk about an action? Sometimes I confuse with these terms. :confused: >>>

We basicly here have two trend definitions, a centrifugal wich travels to the outside of the axis and a centripetal that travels back to the axis... So the Refresh Action ( " la accion de volver hacia" ) its the centripetal trend back to the axis..

>>>Talking about timeframes. On this method (or system), do you see timeframes greater than 5 min? 15 min? 1 hr? Or it is not important for scalping techniques?>>>

So far as to MY scalping method 5 min does ok... now, this method can perfectly be traded on larger time frames as well...

>>>>I remember that I read that you don't use the 1 min chart, you use a ticks chart, it is correct? why?>>>>

On my futures trading I do scalp with tick charts, for this forex research I am using 1 min chart for my timing, I am using mT4 (metatrader) and the smallest timeframe we got is 1 min... wich in forex does pretty well...

>>>>The SMA of the chimp2_1 is of 4 bars. Is it important for the method, or can I change for another of 2 bars, for example?>>>

that signal line its just for estetics jejeje... no use at all... even the oscillator has a very periferic use on the entire method, once the trader really got very used to his cycle measures of his trade, he perfectly can trade without the oscillator... I DO NOT time my trades with the oscillator, I use the 1 minute chart with the two vma`s...

Hope this answered some... I like this interactions ¡¡ cheers Walter.

As Eur/Jpy is more volatile it should probably need to adjust some inputs on the 1 min lines.... tell you later... cheers Walter.

I got very enthusiastic with this pair today, and after Sundowner shared his chart I did 3 consecutives winners :thumbs up: ¡¡

So thanks Sundowner for this illustration ¡¡

NOW I noticed that this pair its much more volatile than Aud/Usd... so we needed more responsive crosses on the 1 minute vma duo.. without getting any aditional noise... so I recurred to Bruce`s Genial all inputs adxvma6test3 version and so far the inputs : 4-2-3-2-0-0-1-0-2-100 gave me a much better yellow line ¡¡ :doh: the 100 line with none color and I got a clean leading timing for EUR/Jpy ¡¡

Example trades :

attachment.php?attachmentid=3595&stc=1&d=1193369555

attachment.php?attachmentid=3596&stc=1&d=1193369555

so for the EUR/Jpy traders... I probably will be one... I add Indis and template for the 1 min timing chart... cheers Walter.

5aa70e158b84d_trade1.thumb.png.046ab8210919882aac63a81e67607b05.png

5aa70e1595006_trade2and3.thumb.png.29a23a719f400561810e87fa5dda9def.png

ADXVMA6Test3.mq4

chimp 1 min chart for eur-jpy.tpl

Walter

Eurjpy can be a wild one, fast mover, ok pip margin.

Also Gbpusd can be a big mover.

If you want a tiger fight then Gbpjpy is the "arena" where blood gets spilled imo, maximum chaos, bad pip margin.

so for the EUR/Jpy traders... I probably will be one... I add Indis and template for the 1 min timing chart... cheers Walter.

I hadn't switched over from the fantail on MT4 because I thought I would wait to see where the research takes us. So after these posts I thought it would be a good time to install the new indicator and template (ADXVMA6Test3.mq4 & chimp 1 min chart for eur-jpy.tpl). I followed the instructions from other posts on how to install them...but for some reason my charts show up very different...wrong colors, no oscillator, missing vma line on the one minute chart, etc. I know I've put the template and indicator in the right place because they show up under insert > indicators and charts > templates. But something is getting messed up somewhere. "If" someone has the patience and time to explain what I am doing wrong...I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks Armand

Here goes for TS Users:

For the 5 min chart use:

TLOMI-NonLag

ADXVMA6_12bar

ADXVMA6_16bar

For the 1 min use:

ADXVMA6_4bar

ADXVMA6_6bar

I've bundled the 5 indicators into this one download ELD. All the settings are preset so you just pop them on the charts and you're set.

I've also attached the ADXVMA6Test3, with the presets Walter mentioned for EURJPY set as default.

As for the Chimp2_1, I'm still working on it as it appears there was an error on the original one I posted on the other thread, also trying to get around the volume issue (no volume with forex TS data). But since this oscillator isn't used for timing I might have to use something close to it but not exact. I'll keep you updated.

Cheers

Blu-Ray

CHIMP'SFOREX.ELD

ADXVMA6Test3.ELD

I hadn't switched over from the fantail on MT4 because I thought I would wait to see where the research takes us. So after these posts I thought it would be a good time to install the new indicator and template (ADXVMA6Test3.mq4 & chimp 1 min chart for eur-jpy.tpl). I followed the instructions from other posts on how to install them...but for some reason my charts show up very different...wrong colors, no oscillator, missing vma line on the one minute chart, etc. I know I've put the template and indicator in the right place because they show up under insert > indicators and charts > templates. But something is getting messed up somewhere. "If" someone has the patience and time to explain what I am doing wrong...I would greatly appreciate it...Thanks Armand

Hi Armand, you want to check the thread as actually there is one template for 5 min and a diferent templates for 1 min...

You probably loaded the 1 min for eur/jpy wich has only two lines, the 5 min template and indis as well are on post # 29

hope helps, cheers Walter.

I will try to answer Cattus :

>>>What does Refresh mean for you in spanish? Refrescar, Retomar, Reanudar, Restaurar?>>>

It means Refrescar, con la idea de "volver a"...

>>>Why do you use Refresh to talk about tendency and to talk about an action? Sometimes I confuse with these terms. :confused: >>>

We basicly here have two trend definitions, a centrifugal wich travels to the outside of the axis and a centripetal that travels back to the axis... So the Refresh Action ( " la accion de volver hacia" ) its the centripetal trend back to the axis..

>>>Talking about timeframes. On this method (or system), do you see timeframes greater than 5 min? 15 min? 1 hr? Or it is not important for scalping techniques?>>>

So far as to MY scalping method 5 min does ok... now, this method can perfectly be traded on larger time frames as well...

>>>>I remember that I read that you don't use the 1 min chart, you use a ticks chart, it is correct? why?>>>>

On my futures trading I do scalp with tick charts, for this forex research I am using 1 min chart for my timing, I am using mT4 (metatrader) and the smallest timeframe we got is 1 min... wich in forex does pretty well...

>>>>The SMA of the chimp2_1 is of 4 bars. Is it important for the method, or can I change for another of 2 bars, for example?>>>

that signal line its just for estetics jejeje... no use at all... even the oscillator has a very periferic use on the entire method, once the trader really got very used to his cycle measures of his trade, he perfectly can trade without the oscillator... I DO NOT time my trades with the oscillator, I use the 1 minute chart with the two vma`s...

Hope this answered some... I like this interactions ¡¡ cheers Walter.

Yes, Walter, the most of my questions were answered.

Just one re-question:

As I understand from your answer you work with only two charts on your screen (5 min and 1 min), and you mentioned that we can climb the method: from 5min+1min to, for example, 30min+5min or 1hr+15min. I put those pairs of charts because are approximate to the 1/5 of the time.

But, due that I have the habit of work with at least 1 chart of bigger timeframe, like 4 hour or 1 hour, in order to know the big picture of the intra-day, I would want to know if somehow you also use a similar timeframe only to view the big picture of the day, or may be, with your experience, you recommend not to work with more than two charts simultaneously.

cattus

Cattus :

The axis blue line on the 5 min chart as I use actually is heavy enough to show you waves corresponding maybe to a 1 hour chart... so there is no need to complicate yourself looking bigger time frames...

Now, if you are aiming to play longer moves (cycles) then its a diferent story... you will like to setup a 1/5th relation aprox. between "setuping" chart and "timing" chart, whatever suits more for your strategy...

for example : 30min with 5 min or 4 hour with 1 hour etc...

cheers Walter.

Cattus :

The axis blue line on the 5 min chart as I use actually is heavy enough to show you waves corresponding maybe to a 1 hour chart... so there is no need to complicate yourself looking bigger time frames...

Now, if you are aiming to play longer moves (cycles) then its a diferent story... you will like to setup a 1/5th relation aprox. between "setuping" chart and "timing" chart, whatever suits more for your strategy...

for example : 30min with 5 min or 4 hour with 1 hour etc...

cheers Walter.

Walter.

I like the scalping system as you are describing (5 min with 1 min), but I asked about the climb of the trades because I was thinking in 5 min like the minor of the timframes (30 min with 5 min) in order to try to reach more pips. I don't know, may be this idea can help us, it can depend of the pair we are trading or the market condition in that we are... just thinking, just thinking... :idea:

Thanks a lot for your helpful answers.

cattus:thumbs up:

yeap, you can perfectly trade that combination 30 min with 5min... its another lifestyle for shure... it requires another life time schedule to follow that,(diferent sleep, less longer happyhours distentions, etc) thats why I dont go any higher than 5 min on the setuping...

Would be interesting if you are interested on following those timeframes to keep us posted on how it works... nice to interact with you cattus ¡¡ cheers Walter.