Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

As I am researching all the diferent combinations we have for timing since fantailvma3 ... here is another very simple one I already commented on the previous videos...

On the 1 min chart with the fantailvma3 template (just that)... notice the last thick yellow line actually is the fantailvma3 base line... that line has two possible conditions :

_Outside Rainbow

_Inside Rainbow

so that suggest that this line will have this dynamic :

"Get Outside the Rainbow"

"Get Inside the Rainbow"

this events can be used for timing purposes... specially the "Get Outside the Rainbow"...

On this chart I show this definition in action... very simple and straight forward..

attachment.php?attachmentid=2939&stc=1&d=1190125161

It is a clean and leading definition... cheers Walter.

5aa70e0381fa2_getoutside.thumb.png.ef9e98df6a0f837861b5fb0d52cb3c17.png

Yep some egg going around.

GBPJPY has some hard and fast drawdown tests when you chase bank money.

Kinda tells you when you arent wanted along for the ride. Very devious.

AUDUSD is a good choice, low spread, active, not too active.

Found out why you say to ignore 5 min chart once the trade is running.

Very confusing to find 1min in HE but 5 min laddering.

Not sure how much of that comes from the arbitrary way ticks are allocated to bars and to the arbitrary timing of which 1min bar gets to be the first into a 5 min bar.

That was part of why I would like to run 5min curves from inside the 1 min chart, so both sets of curves run off 1 min bars.

Here I post the two trades we had on "VMAR Icons" with this last timing definition of fantailvma3 yellow base line "Get outside the Rainbow"... on 1 min chart

attachment.php?attachmentid=2940&stc=1&d=1190125819

nice cool entries on 1 min with solid arguments on 5 min... cheers Walter.

5aa70e03d0f1b_vmariconstiming.thumb.png.987a7747bac3ae00655e365fe28757f1.png

This is a video on this 1 minute timing definition... I believe I am feeling confortable with this one... If I get stopped with this one on an eventual noise situation (very few thanks to vma), it will be a very tight stop actually, as I can see this leading entry calls for a very nice competitive RRR.... cheers Walter.

All comentaries welcome...

1 Minute Timing Definition.swf

Hi Bruce, I dont want to be annoying... wondered if we will have any chance of making a tighter vma (just baseline/ no rainbow) than the vma3 baseline.. is this mathematically posible ?

My idea is to have a turbo ( 1 line) tighter than the yellow baseline added in the chart so we can see this "micropullbacks" while the vma3 yellow line keeps laddering on...

So my idea is this: have plotted all the fantailvma3 template + this more tight line showing this price action...

I emulate my idea on this graph :

attachment.php?attachmentid=2942&stc=1&d=1190128229

so this tighter line could tell us a little more information... just an idea, if its actually posibble, other wise I will re-create an entry definition for this cases where the yellow line keeps going on without any pullback... cheers Walter.

idea.thumb.png.a399ab2faebeba832a15b0d4b6a10330.png

I dont know if this is the right place to talk about this new setup, but as it comes from the optimization process we are dealing here I will do it here...(on its first presentation) once this takes more form I will open a new thread on this new setup, so we can be more specific on this trades... and keep threads clean...

I am talking about the prospect "5 min Laddering" trade...

On previous post I already presented some basic concepts of this trade with charts and videos... I would say this are the smaller universe "vmar icons" because the icon concept still is in there and here we start to integrate one great concept vma has wich is laddering...

Now positive laddering from a small time frame doesnt have so much significance as positive laddering on a higher time frame, for example the positive laddering of a 5 min chart is much more significant than 1 min...

and as I like to find my trade arguments on a more robust timeframe like 5 min... then positive laddering on 5 min really is our shot here...

How does possitive laddering on a 5 min chart look like ?

attachment.php?attachmentid=2945&stc=1&d=1190130321

simple, you have an HE going on and we he ends, and the black lines starts to continue on the same original direction, thats a "positive laddering"...

notice I am using fantailvma1 on 5 min.... gotta take coffe... continue on next post... cheers Walter.

5aa70e0417332_positiveladdering.thumb.png.a38ab2cb935b7a32108a4b958b63c92c.png

My idea is to have a turbo ( 1 line) tighter than the yellow baseline added in the chart so we can see this "micropullbacks" while the vma3 yellow line keeps laddering on...

So my idea is this: have plotted all the fantailvma3 template + this more tight line showing this price action...

#---------

It had been my intention to do something like that.

I see the use for it.

I think something might be done.

The idea had been to have both Fantail1 and 3 on together.

But what we seem to need is 3 and something faster still.

It will mean having 1min chart zoomed right in, it is easy to lose sight of the trend and end up trying to trade a flat market that way.

OK good idea.

#---------

It had been my intention to do something like that.

I see the use for it.

I think something might be done.

The idea had been to have both Fantail1 and 3 on together.

But what we seem to need is 3 and something faster still.

It will mean having 1min chart zoomed right in, it is easy to lose sight of the trend and end up trying to trade a flat market that way.

OK good idea.

I will aprecciate that Bruce, It will probably give us the final picture we need from all the speed universes... cheers Walter.

This is annoying me at the moment.

The way 80% of the fantail is showing an uptrend for 80mins while the price actually goes nowhere. Its like it is telling a lie.

You have to trade with these things before you find what works for you or against you.

WhatTrend.thumb.png.a87d338940f44448313ce02a93df03ad.png

This is annoying me at the moment.

The way 80% of the fantail is showing an uptrend for 80mins while the price actually goes nowhere. Its like it is telling a lie.

You have to trade with these things before you find what works for you or against you.

We could call that an annoying pause ¡¡

Walter

More than a month ago I did an improvement on my own indicator system.

By coincidence, about a month ago the market suddenly got a whole lot more devious and my stress level went nuts.

Well last night thanks to VMA I finally woke up.

Yep left a line of old code in the "improvement" that should have been deleted.

So maybe that nightmare is finally over and I can start being more help with interpreting VMA performance.

Right now I saw the market going into what I call "mischief mode", it alternates fake moves with real moves and keep you totally uncertain about which trend will emerge.

Now when I see mischief mode, the rule is don't enter, don't trust anything until there is more obvious trend and if you are in this market wishing you were out then you have to follow your rules for drawdown and stoploss because you are going to get no signals you can rely on until things start moving properly.

You may know the right word for what I call mischief, here is what it looks like. The good news is that 5min VMA3 was HE at the time, if that usually happens then it will be a good guide for "wait for action".

Mischief.png.d8fd12922ba5b6d44c92077bfba7d644.png

I am so glad Bruce for all this improvements you are going thru... certainly the HE on 5 min its of great help ¡¡ encapsulating noise of an erratic pause into an horizontal line... can you believe that ? such a stupid thing... but how powerfull it is...

I am also on this state of epiphany... I am on a technical rebirth myself too... the implications of vma are outstanding ¡¡

I see you use the 3rd version on 5 min... what are the diferences where you find more edge than the 1rst version on 5 min ? would like to know.. cheers Walter.

Walter

Apologies for yesterdays posts, it would be best to ignore them.

The mischief mode referred to in the above post has continued with similarities and differences in later countertrend moves.

I would describe that period as weak trend and high volatility for the amount of trend. To me it seems best suited to either fast scalping or a long slow single trade relying on the weak trend, but only if you have reason to feel you can trust a weak trend.

I would be inclined to trend scalp or stay out.

That is, sell the rise and close fast on the dip, forget the long scalps.

Not good RRR.

One reason I have the "volume" indicator on my charts, is that sometimes these swings get smaller and smaller and the price may slowly move against the old trend. It works as a trap for a trend scalper. Two signs of this trap are swings getting smaller and volume dying away.

I am so glad Bruce for all this improvements you are going thru... certainly the HE on 5 min its of great help ¡¡ encapsulating noise of an erratic pause into an horizontal line... can you believe that ? such a stupid thing... but how powerfull it is...

I am also on this state of epiphany... I am on a technical rebirth myself too... the implications of vma are outstanding ¡¡

I see you use the 3rd version on 5 min... what are the diferences where you find more edge than the 1rst version on 5 min ? would like to know.. cheers Walter.

Walter

I had also been on something of an epiphany before my indicator turned reality upside down on me.

I did not get time to even demo trade the old version much.

I knew its "insides" were in poor shape, so my effort went into that.

Using the older version, to me it is like driving Fred Flintstones car, you know, no engine, you gotta push it with your feet.

I know that using a different setup from you just confuses things for you and everyone else, but it is the only realistic way for me to analyse VMA3.

For example, when I use #3 on both charts I can expect them to behave much the same way. Often the HEs happen together, which is reassuring.

But sometimes I see 1min HE or nearly and 5min laddering and still moving with a trend that the fast 1min VMA can't "see".

Now that was unexpected, the fast VMA was expected to always lead, but here we have the slow one leading.

So is there an entry/exit rule for this case?

In the case I just saw there was a 15 pip reversal so it was a sign to scalp out maybe. Need to see more cases.

Would it be better to have just two 1min charts but with one zoomed out to look like a 5 min chart and use a slower VMA for that one? It might make my job much easier if both VMAs used the same bar data, I dunno yet.

But if I use #1 and #3 I am comparing apples with pears, there are lots of reasons for the two charts contradicting each other so I learn nothing.

So all I need from 5min is the bigger picture and a general idea of trend strength, I dont need the more standard test of trend that you need.

But to me research has to go in a slightly different direction from the present.

Please talk about this if I am taking things off track.

#========

"encapsulating noise of an erratic pause into an horizontal line... can you believe that ? such a stupid thing... but how powerfull it is..."

That is it, it is "stupid" yet it is a genuinely useful tool, seems a bit impossible.

But then you don't complain because a hammer is stupid, its a good tool for the right job. Strange.

Walter

The mischief mode referred to in the above post has continued with similarities and differences in later countertrend moves.

I would describe that period as weak trend and high volatility for the amount of trend. To me it seems best suited to either fast scalping or a long slow single trade relying on the weak trend, but only if you have reason to feel you can trust a weak trend.

Not good RRR.

One reason I have the "volume" indicator on my charts, is that sometimes these swings get smaller and smaller and the price may slowly move against the old trend. It works as a trap for a trend scalper. Two signs of this trap are swings getting smaller and volume dying away.

Walter

I had also been on something of an epiphany before my indicator turned reality upside down on me.

I did not get time to even demo trade the old version much.

I knew its "insides" were in poor shape, so my effort went into that.

Using the older version, to me it is like driving Fred Flintstones car, you know, no engine, you gotta push it with your feet.

I know that using a different setup from you just confuses things for you and everyone else, but it is the only realistic way for me to analyse VMA3.

For example, when I use #3 on both charts I can expect them to behave much the same way. Often the HEs happen together, which is reassuring.

But sometimes I see 1min HE or nearly and 5min laddering and still moving with a trend that the fast 1min VMA can't "see".

Now that was unexpected, the fast VMA was expected to always lead, but here we have the slow one leading.

So is there an entry/exit rule for this case?

In the case I just saw there was a 15 pip reversal so it was a sign to scalp out maybe. Need to see more cases.

Would it be better to have just two 1min charts but with one zoomed out to look like a 5 min chart and use a slower VMA for that one? It might make my job much easier if both VMAs used the same bar data, I dunno yet.

But if I use #1 and #3 I am comparing apples with pears, there are lots of reasons for the two charts contradicting each other so I learn nothing.

So all I need from 5min is the bigger picture and a general idea of trend strength, I dont need the more standard test of trend that you need.

But to me research has to go in a slightly different direction from the present.

Please talk about this if I am taking things off track.

#========

"encapsulating noise of an erratic pause into an horizontal line... can you believe that ? such a stupid thing... but how powerfull it is..."

That is it, it is "stupid" yet it is a genuinely useful tool, seems a bit impossible.

But then you don't complain because a hammer is stupid, its a good tool for the right job. Strange.

Bruce your posts do not disturb... by no means... I think yesterdays post reminded me all the Drumond school I have as backgroud and I really got identified on this concepts...

It is obvious that each trader will find what makes him feel more confortable... when I show my setups, I dont pretend to be followed to the rule, thought I try to present all MY rules as clear as possible not leaving anything out, so if the strict followor wants to follow to the detail, he can be able to do so... on the other hand you can get to see the intrinsic concepts we are dealing here... from there on many traders can start building their own strategies and shaping them to their needs...

What you are explaining above, I believe to understand "some"... in this case I would promote some visual aid as charts with comentaries so we can get to grasp the real concept you are explaining here... I know the core concept here is arround HE`s... and I believe grasping its power can change the course of any traders career... cheers Walter.

If this could be programmed... and the lines that represent the 5 min vmar could be achieved at least similar on the 1 min... it could be interesting... but still, would the task be worth it ? only experimenting could tell that... cheers Walter.

Walter

Not good RRR.

I agree on taking profits when they are there... it may be better bussiness to trade more trades than to hope for big moves... still I am surprised on the case of my "5 min laddering" trade how nice decent moves he gets... and a nice clean exit I will get to describe more later on that thread, that tends to take money in a smart fashion and not a greedy hope style.... cheers Walter.

I have to agree that vma3 on 5 min has its own properties, I need a 30 hours day to be able to test all this particular edge... man so many alternatives here... but in terms of laddering, very interesting indeed ¡¡ cheers Walter.

now I will get some sleep... :zzz:

I have to agree that vma3 on 5 min has its own properties, I need a 30 hours day to be able to test all this particular edge... man so many alternatives here... but in terms of laddering, very interesting indeed ¡¡ cheers Walter.

now I will get some sleep... :zzz:

Yes same problem for me.

Plus VMA4 will make what difference??? dunno yet.

London open was kinda slow so I doubt if you missed much.

Get a good zzz.

Clym

In post 23 on Walters Trend Trades I gave you an MT4 version of Bemac's VT code. It turns out to perform poorly on spikes compared to simpler input logic used by Igorad, so recommend you make life simpler as follows.

if(Close[i-1]>High)TH=Close[i-1];

else TH=High;

if(Close[i-1]<Low) TL=Close[i-1];

else TL=Low;

TR=TH-TL;//2 bar unnormalized price difference

if(High>High[i-1] && Low>=Low[i-1]) PDM=High-High[i-1];//2 bar unnormalized price difference, >=0.

else PDM=0;

if(Low<Low[i-1] && High<=High[i-1]) MDM=Low[i-1]-Low;//2 bar unnormalized price difference, >=0.

else MDM=0;

Maybe that was just another passing thought Walter.

HE sometimes seems so easy, its like you don't need much else.

Been heavily into vma4, so not much thoughts of anything else.

Gee the fantails look good on screen.

Markets a bit mobile, some nice trading maybe.

But for now, just vma4 in my head, enjoying it too.

Hope it goes well with you.

Maybe that was just another passing thought Walter.

HE sometimes seems so easy, its like you don't need much else.

Been heavily into vma4, so not much thoughts of anything else.

Gee the fantails look good on screen.

Markets a bit mobile, some nice trading maybe.

But for now, just vma4 in my head, enjoying it too.

Hope it goes well with you.

vma4 sounds good ¡¡ lets leave this genius concentrate ¡¡¡ cheers Walter.

Hello Walterw and all, very nice threads that you have put there. I really see a lot of efforts. I really like you explanations about the VMAR concept and your videos are excellent and very enlightening.

I have a question for all of you. Would be very interested to incorporate this analysis in my forex trading and I am wondering if someoen is familiar with Ensign Sofware language and how I can develp an indictor for the VMAR template on Ensign Software.

Thank in advance a lot of pips to all

Sincerely

Shreem:)