Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

:question:

My question would be kind off topic but I am a new user of this platform /MT4/ and would love to participate in research.

Is this software has no features as a very basic and necessary for me like global cursor to truck a price across multiple timeframes/charts and tick charts or it’s just my inexperienced first impression?

unfortunately it still doesnt have that feature... you only have crosshairs on each individual chart and you have to manually find the matches between charts... it will be great to have this function added... I really dont know if it is asked for the next version... should I check that... cheers Walter.

Z trade

You can write your own indicator to display prices from one pair onto another chart or say show a 5min bollinger on a 1 min chart. But the catch is that you have to have both charts open in order to access the market feed for the other chart. So you can end up with 10 charts for each of 3 time frames = 30 charts = slow platform.

The programmable indicators are their edge for flexibility and there are forums were that stuff gets shared. But yes MT4 has limitations. You cant run indicators in the tick chart, 1min is fastest chart, when one chart is getting data from a chart for another pair the data only comes through when the other pair has a tick, then it has to wait for a tick on the main chart before it gets processed and displayed, so there can be time delays being a pest.

It really depends on what you want to do, maybe MT4 will be good, maybe bad and you find out the hard way by wasting time.

MT4 will also send the market feed to Excel, so there you might be less restricted by the limitations of any proprietory platform. Do your own thing maybe.

MT4 is the only one I have used so I am short of things to compare it to.

Sometimes it is frustrating.

Walter and PYenner

thanks a lot for detailed explanation and review of MT4, I ve spent some time using it but think its better for me to replicate the indicator for eSignal or Tradestation and stick with what I already know and prefer to use.

Once again, greatly appreciate your contribution.

FantailVMA2 is a pup.

#--------------#

Got it wrong again...so the files have been removed.

The fantail defaults to Close price at the live end of a chart.

This is the iMAOnArray function being dis-functional.

Had no live charts to test it on over the weekend.

Sorry to the 12 who DL'd a pup.

Will get VMA3 out asap.<sigh>

FantailVMA2 is a pup.

#--------------#

Got it wrong again...so the files have been removed.

The fantail defaults to Close price at the live end of a chart.

This is the iMAOnArray function being dis-functional.

Had no live charts to test it on over the weekend.

Sorry to the 12 who DL'd a pup.

Will get VMA3 out asap.<sigh>

No problem Bruce... but the lines will be exactly the same ? as they rock ¡¡

look how we start the week O my Lord...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2892&stc=1&d=1189996040

I sense this week will be one of those non sleeping weeks jejeje.... should I ask Janice about this... cheers Walter.

5aa70e02488af_picturesque2.thumb.png.48acafd33bcfbbb58b73d4dd4d407396.png

Walter and PYenner

thanks a lot for detailed explanation and review of MT4, I ve spent some time using it but think its better for me to replicate the indicator for eSignal or Tradestation and stick with what I already know and prefer to use.

Once again, greatly appreciate your contribution.

Z_Trade

I've already coded it up for TS and posted it here:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/24/walter-s-forex-trend-trades-2364-6.html

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray

So my first experiment with the Pyenners fantailvma3...

There are lots of combinations to be played arround, so please dont take me to seriously at this point as I am playing arround... pure open research...

in this first case it will be the fantailvma3 rainbow template + another fantailvma3 base line (red) with inputs 2-4-1-1...

Chart looks like this :

attachment.php?attachmentid=2899&stc=1&d=1190031140

notice the relationship between the yellow and red... turbo type relationship as yellow leading the red... crossover here was a possible timing entry...

thats a very first alternative... all interactions will be very welcome ¡¡ please tell me your opinions.... cheers Walter.

5aa70e02692fe_timing1.thumb.png.5256fb09ce8fdaa41cde09c9640c69a5.png

timing 1.swf

Here I post a second combination... in this case I have the fantailvma3 template + a fantailvma1 base line (black)... this gives a nice clean relationship between the yellow and the black lines (maybe not so leading) but quite nice relation... unfortunately on todays case we had a whipsaw on this combination...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2901&stc=1&d=1190033364

5aa70e0275aef_timing2.thumb.png.bc4c3a44bc6ea2b7cdc854df4822f953.png

yellow leading the red... crossover here was a possible timing entry...

please tell me your opinions.... cheers Walter.

Yes it would be nice to find something like that and the only way to find it is to spend time trying things out. Got a feeling that some more vma lines in there near the price might be more useful than the yellow ema lines currently are.

Gee the fantails look nice when you get a bunch of them up on the screen.

Third combination... more classic one... the fantailvma3 template alone... yelow line with darkgreen line... this could also suggest a scalping option of vmar icons on 1 min as well...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2902&stc=1&d=1190034235

these is a quite nice leading combination... cheers Walter.

5aa70e027abd5_timing3.thumb.png.a9ff452abb225a57d781f10e2ff006b9.png

Yes it would be nice to find something like that and the only way to find it is to spend time trying things out. Got a feeling that some more vma lines in there near the price might be more useful than the yellow ema lines currently are.

Gee the fantails look nice when you get a bunch of them up on the screen.

yeap.... charts are welcome ¡¡ lets get waco...

Some counter exhaustion future aplications...

with fantailvma3 template + fantailvma3 base line (red) inputs 64-8-1-1

attachment.php?attachmentid=2903&stc=1&d=1190035040

attachment.php?attachmentid=2904&stc=1&d=1190035040

the title of this thread is "playing with the vma`s" so I am entitled to do all this here... jejejje cheers Walter.

5aa70e027f124_counter1.thumb.png.2b7544f144e078f8580852dc2c5e00f6.png

5aa70e028365d_counter2.thumb.png.30f526dfa82c417bcdf673dfc4628f81.png

This two continuation icons that just happened...

timing with fantailvma3 template and yellow dark green relationship...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2906&stc=1&d=1190035960

this one was leading... let me compare to old basic timing :

attachment.php?attachmentid=2907&stc=1&d=1190036139

you can notice the contrasted lag... quite a contrast ¡¡ cheers Walter.

5aa70e02922ff_conticonentries.thumb.png.832b1967b8602eecab4fa5a3759a42e9.png

5aa70e029c054_oldtiming.thumb.png.3401d127d071e69024b4e96e9133711d.png

For example... if we wanted to use a counter method on an evident exhaustion scenario... look how the fantailvma3 template gives a nice competitive timing...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2914&stc=1&d=1190054919

all ideas... cheers Walter.

5aa70e02c2d5e_endofthemove.thumb.png.989b788d59f85b673d5772d5d9184da5.png

Here I post a second combination... in this case I have the fantailvma3 template + a fantailvma1 base line (black)... this gives a nice clean relationship between the yellow and the black lines (maybe not so leading) but quite nice relation... unfortunately on todays case we had a whipsaw on this combination...

I like the way yellow leads black, gives a good trend confirmation, yellow below black=fall, yellow above black=rise, so when yellow meets black time to close or reverse?? But the whipsaw thing, how do you know beforehand that a short is going to lack momentum and go nowhere? Now it would be nice to have some indication of which trades will not be so good. Was trying to demo trade this messy stuff and getting mixed results because it is mixed up stuff in that whipsaw area.

By the way I put internal limiting in VMA3 so if you put in 64-10 all you get is the maximum 8-8, maybe I was too conservative using 8-8 but that looked like being enough to get HEs about as long as VMA1.

The last two settings numbers are used by the template file to send ema numbers for each of the fantail lines. So when you are running VMA3 without a template, using x-y-2-1 will give you the position of the second line in the fantail, x-y-4-1 gives the third line, the dark green line is like x-y-26-1 I think and x-y-100-1 should be the end of the rainbow, magenta line.

Gee just realized it may be easy to add in secondary VMA lines, slower ones, just by putting them in the template file, hell that would be so much easier than having to do extra coding for them, Duhhh.

I like the way yellow leads black, gives a good trend confirmation, yellow below black=fall, yellow above black=rise, so when yellow meets black time to close or reverse?? But the whipsaw thing, how do you know beforehand that a short is going to lack momentum and go nowhere? Now it would be nice to have some indication of which trades will not be so good. Was trying to demo trade this messy stuff and getting mixed results because it is mixed up stuff in that whipsaw area.

By the way I put internal limiting in VMA3 so if you put in 64-10 all you get is the maximum 8-8, maybe I was too conservative using 8-8 but that looked like being enough to get HEs about as long as VMA1.

The last two settings numbers are used by the template file to send ema numbers for each of the fantail lines. So when you are running VMA3 without a template, using x-y-2-1 will give you the position of the second line in the fantail, x-y-4-1 gives the third line, the dark green line is like x-y-26-1 I think and x-y-100-1 should be the end of the rainbow, magenta line.

Nice Explanation there Bruce about those inputs, that means we can get to plot lets say 200 (long away rainbow signal)...

when looking at this small charts with this small tools you can loose focus... thats why you MUST have a setup (whatever) decided from a higher time frame (ej 5 min) otherwise the 1 min will be tricky... now can you scalp from the 1 min ? YES you can... but you need a very solid definition of trend... its very recomendable having very long shot lines on the 1 min if scalping is in the proyect...

Now that you explained this parameters, look at the red line... it is 200... gives a more clear trend panorama for a 1 min scalper... cheers Walter.

5aa70e02c99cb_longline200.thumb.gif.505152a2363a8623f46104ed75b627a2.gif

Nice one Walter.

Currently the 100 ema line needs 100 bars of chart history and 200 would need 200 bars which uses a lot more resources than are justified. May be able to get similar results from a less resource-hungry approach.

If you think the 200 line would be useful to have, let me know.

And yes, I was experimenting at using just the 1min for scalping at times when the 5min says to stay out. Thats me learning things the hard way over and over, bone headed. Sometimes there is a good strong go signal from the yellow line at the start of a ladder but it still may not mean much if the 5min has no trend.

Also I think the ADX front end can do a slighly better job at finding the trend but still got bugs to fix in that program. So there are possible VMA4, 5 and 6 in the works already, just don't know yet how much difference they might make.

About trend... that was an example IF you wanted just to look at the 1 min chart... I still would recomend looking at the 5 min for trend... its more easy and will not confuse you by no means... not with vmars...

more versions ahahahah.... you make my mouth water jejejej... cheers Walter.

1 hr chart showing 3 weeks view.

Look at the stretch you get on some days.

Nice days to ride a return back towards the magenta line.

for some reason I got a miniature chart here... can you upload it again ? thanks