Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Walter`s Forex "Trend Trades"

Hi Chimp,

Im amazed of your work... I made a trading system based on your ideas, however, I want to ask you for help. I use fantailVMA1 indicator with three setups.

first-100/4/8/0/1

second - 26/4/8/0/1

third- 2/4/8/0/1

Would you be so kind and tell me, how to display these moving averages from the 30M chart in the 5M chart? ie. how to convert settings so that I need not to have opened both 5M and 30M chart, respectively? I want to have all MAs in the 5M chart.

Thousands of thanks.

if you want to have a 30 min rainbow on a 5 min chart, you have to put all the inputs x 6 ... just that... cheers Walter.

I have been working on your system for quite a while.

The only question i have is when the black and the dark green are the same value, what to do??? The problem i ahve is that it takes 2 periods to see if there was a cross and by that time it is well gone.

Do you have any ideas??

By the way, i have read and reread your 2 pdf's. They are like a good cuban cigar or a good wine, subtle, complex, more layers than immediately meets the eye or palate.

I also appreciate that this is not your first language, i am sure that i would not understand well if it were in spanish . . . .

Pero talvez tambien . . . . Nunca sabe . . ..

Blizzard

5aa70ef8e5ddb_RAINBOWQUESTION.thumb.jpg.d4e7f77facc4952714ea915839b86d23.jpg

Hi Walter,

This is very interesting. I'm unsure how to set this up; i'm using the FXCM platform. can you please post how to set these indicators up.

Thanks

Wilts

Hi,

its a very nice system but im not having any luck with it.. theres a plenty of versions...

can you guys point me wich one is working, whick currency to trade and what time?

im doing something wrong and couldnt find out!

thanks!

Hi,

its a very nice system but im not having any luck with it.. theres a plenty of versions...

can you guys point me wich one is working, whick currency to trade and what time?

im doing something wrong and couldnt find out!

thanks!

maybe if you start by telling us "what" you are doing

... and "why" you think it is wrong,

then we can chime in.

I think I finally came up with something interesting. Forgive me for skimming the long thread. Amazing team work by everybody. [before I read the whole thing I noticed how nice the original VT rainbow indicator worked as a adjustable (bb) squeeze indicator. I think I used 2 ema as the demo. Then I saw that somebody else got the same idea with the modified fan tail indicator. I also attached a copy of the modified indicator for VT being discussed, if you are looking for it.]

So here is what I noticed. I have been working with 50 ema envelopes (light blue dotted). This is showing a 15 pip offset from the 50 ema. I changed the black fantail line to white to see it.

When the magenta and white lines BOTH expand beyond the width of the 15 pip envelope, it is a signal that the trend is greatly weakening and can soon pullback or reverse. This is shown with the red vertical lines. It is pretty consistent for the EUR/USD, and I use slightly bigger bands for other pairs.

The small arrows (orange and blue) are part of an audio alert system that I put together for VT that tell me when price closes (or crosses) near the 15 pip band. It could be modified for the magenta and white(black) band expansion as an exit readiness alert. The alert download is on the coding forum. It also has auto trade capacity.

fantail_vma.zip

5aa70f8f2f9d2_fantail15pipexpansion2.thumb.PNG.1a04666ba2316ed88eef983d71a55e73.PNG

Hello Guys and happy new year ¡¡ The methodology works ok when you learn how to discern correctly market conditions : Congestion vs Momentum , thats one of the things I do a lot of emphasis to my private course students, it is important to understand that ANY method, even mine will fail if you dont trade it in the correct context, thats why on my course I try to explain the best momentum conditions a trader should be trading with the trend... take care everyone, cheers Walter.

I did some coding work for VT, an alert system that allows for removing the fantail graphics and getting an (audio or arrow) alert when the magenta or black(mine white) outer lines both cross an ema envelope. I will post it here, but please see the coding forum to get the details for install as a trading system, and set up. It is based on my previous post. It also allows for price and ema envelope crossover alerts, and can show only the 2 outer lines of the fantail if you want.

I am using for the AUD/USD cross 50ema envelope sizes at 18 and 36 pips.

Anyhow just a thanks to Walter, Bemac, and the team for inspiring work, and bringing out the best in this brave new world.

fan tail envelope alert.zip

Hi, I should have notated it more clearly, but my above post #332 is the VT trader indicator for the Modified Fantail by Bemac, it is installed with the technical analysis menu, indicators builder, import function. Then it shows up as a fantail var MA's on the indicator menu. Remember to unzip it, do not open it with windows RAR.

For other platforms you may need to search the thread or let others know what you are using. Good luck.

Since VT Trader is not a simple platform, I posted a plug and play version with the indicator installed on one of my other threads. It is post #13 of the "Fresh or first crossovers" - technical indicators forum. This install also is preloaded with alerts for use with envelopes. I want to answer questions there and not divert this thread too much.

The idea is that somebody can see quickly if they find the systems useful. The indicator named Fantail Var is the full fantail to try that I believe Walter based his research upon ( and I mentioned in the previous post).

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/34/fresh-first-crossover-strategies-7338-2.html#post87403

Edited by Eric Johnson

thank you very much Eric. And thank you Walterw for this amazing method. I know this is nothing new, but it;s so simple and so effective . . . . . .

This method allows a better understanding of the market, better understanding of what tells us the price. looking for such a method for two years ! ! ! This method is perfectly suited to my style. cheers Walter ;)

Very interesting work done by several on this thread. Many thanks to all. Was anyone ever able to code this for download on NT? I know there was a very early attempt but was without the MA fans which really took away its effectiveness.

Thanks for so many kind words guys... I will be starting a new public thread on how to select correct momentum conditions... it will also be of help to my private students as well... you can consider this new public thread I will make, a free extention and update to my private course...

What I noticed, and also interacting with some of my students, there is a terrible lack of momentum discernment on actual new traders, thats why ANY method, and even the chimps can fail if momentum is not correctly discerned...

Unfortunately there is an art to this, but I will try to explain some tricks on how to "smell" momentum, so it can take some light into so many people strugling to be consistant...

Trading can be one of the most easy professions, and also for many one of the most stressing and disapointing one... if you are doing trend type trading, momentum discerning will make the diference... If you are doing congestion trading like I do on futures its another story,,,

From my private group experience, I had three types of outcomes, those who are making consistent profits because they understanded the momentum key concept, those who are still strugling with it, and those who never interacted back jajaja... (hope they did ok)... but anyway, any method (even mine) will be disapointing if a trader doesnt adress correctly momentum vs congestion...

Would you make an outdoor party with a rainy day ? or would you go out on shorts during a snow storm ? NO

Same here, method wont work on the wrong context... I continue on the thread, cheers Walter.

Thanks for so many kind words guys... I will be starting a new public thread on how to select correct momentum conditions..

Same here, method wont work on the wrong context... I continue on the thread, cheers Walter.

Hello Walter ! Hugo thanks for your work there. Where your plan to begin new thread about

correct momentum condition ?

Hello Walter ! Hugo thanks for your work there. Where your plan to begin new thread about

correct momentum condition ?

Hi Kit, I had been preety much busy this last two months, with some personal issues, but I promise I will get that thread done asap... I know also many of my private students will enjoy it as well... cheers Walter.

First of all I would like to thank You for ALL Your work here Walter!!! The thread and the system are both outstanding, thanks again!

I'm just thinking; the day will come, when our brokers will change to MT5 platform, and then files written i mql4 won't work. So I tried to transform file FantailVMA1.mq4 to mq5 using this guide here:

*** Converting MQL 4 to MQL 5

but I must say, it doesn't work; many errors!

I'm not programmer, I don't know a thing about it, but if someone does, it would be great to rewrite the indicator to mq5. This SYSTEM simply MUSN'T die with MT4 platform!

Walter, maybe You are capable of doing this, or maybe You simply know someone, who is.

Sorry my poor english.

Respect!

FantailVMA1.mq4

First of all I would like to thank You for ALL Your work here Walter!!! The thread and the system are both outstanding, thanks again!

I'm just thinking; the day will come, when our brokers will change to MT5 platform, and then files written i mql4 won't work. So I tried to transform file FantailVMA1.mq4 to mq5 using this guide here:

*** Converting MQL 4 to MQL 5

but I must say, it doesn't work; many errors!

I'm not programmer, I don't know a thing about it, but if someone does, it would be great to rewrite the indicator to mq5. This SYSTEM simply MUSN'T die with MT4 platform!

Walter, maybe You are capable of doing this, or maybe You simply know someone, who is.

Sorry my poor english.

Respect!

Hi Wiertara, thanks for compliments... yea, it would be very nice to get all this indis programed to mt5, no doubts, our mt4 master programer on 2007 when we did this great research was Pyenner... dont know if he is still arround, personally I dont have mt4 or mt5 programing skills... so far I do a little of TS, so anyone who has the will and the skill, will be warmly welcome to do so... cheers Walter.

Hi guys,

I am newly subscribed member of TL and this thread caught my attention. I have finished the whole thread and really like to thank walterw for sharing this system.

I have a noob question though hope someone is still here to answer.

Do we enter at the closed of 1min candle or as soon as the black line emerge from the mulitple MAs?

regards,

Heavenforex

Hi guys,

I am newly subscribed member of TL and this thread caught my attention. I have finished the whole thread and really like to thank walterw for sharing this system.

I have a noob question though hope someone is still here to answer.

Do we enter at the closed of 1min candle or as soon as the black line emerge from the mulitple MAs?

regards,

Heavenforex

HI Heavenforex, glad you like the stuff here... yes, you want to use closed bars for more conservative timing, cheers Walter.

Always really cool to see a thread started a few years ago regain new life -- shows you the interest/staying power of this type of approach. Thanks for sharing.

As for the most recent comment I still haven't talked to many moving out of MT4 to 5 but would be curious to hear pros/cons to that effect.

MMS