Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Any Sierra Chart users here?

As I've posted before, I am a big fan of MultiCharts... up until Monday. I am using Open ECry for my data source and as another thread stated, OEC did a fairly substantial upgrade that became mandatory last Friday. Apparently vendors, such as Multi and Sierra, were given plenty of notice and MC is now telling me maybe next week it will be compatible. Well, I obviously can't wait to see when MC might get around to it. The short story is this upgrade required charting co's to change their dll's to work better with the new OEC upgrade.

So, if you are using Sierra, I'd love to hear the good and bad. I am demo'ing it now, but you can only tell so much at first glance. My charts are basic, I just need a reliable and stable platform that does not lag in real-time.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Sierra!

I tried Sierra a while back, and it was really tough for me to get a handle on with all the acronyms for all the chart features. Granted, I use a simple chart setup, as well, but something just didn't click with me and Sierra. It seemed a bit too clunky for me. Now, the charting package is cheap as hell, which is nice...but I use a Mac for all my stuff and am used to things that look fabulous. MC, to me, looks like it would look awesome and easy to use. I do use Parallels on my Mac to access Windows for my execution via TransAct. I wanted to find something that I could use that feed with to cut down on expenses...but really nothing came close to doing what InvestorRT does for me in terms of ease of use and slickness of the look. When I'm staring at something for 8 hours a day, it needs to be easy on my eyes.

Guest cooter
As I've posted before, I am a big fan of MultiCharts... up until Monday. I am using Open ECry for my data source and as another thread stated, OEC did a fairly substantial upgrade that became mandatory last Friday. Apparently vendors, such as Multi and Sierra, were given plenty of notice and MC is now telling me maybe next week it will be compatible. Well, I obviously can't wait to see when MC might get around to it. The short story is this upgrade required charting co's to change their dll's to work better with the new OEC upgrade.

So, if you are using Sierra, I'd love to hear the good and bad. I am demo'ing it now, but you can only tell so much at first glance. My charts are basic, I just need a reliable and stable platform that does not lag in real-time.

This question is not just related to Sierra, but OEC in general, I suppose.

How much historical data are you able to pull from OEC for third-party charting apps like Sierra? Specifically, A. tick data and B. minute-bars...

Just wondering if it would be worth my while to drop TS and migrate to Sierra, assuming that the historical data is available.

Does OEC also have indices such as $TICK, $TRIN, $WPCVA (putcall), and $VIX available, or is their feed limited to established futures symbols only?

I tried the demo and whle it looked nice...it was too frustrating for me..but maybe that is my fault...

At first glance, Sierra sort of reminded me of ensign...but that is only on a cursory observation.

Hey Brownsfan. I use Sierra Chart for now. It was a step up from the Interactive Brokers charting.

I'm not very impressed with Sierra Chart. I have one chartbook with 4 charts in it. As far as I know it doesn't allow me to view the charts in different windows. I'm forced to view all the charts from the same window and to flip through them I have to press F4 to go back a chart and F9 to go forward a chart.

I'm also not impressed with their contract symbol entry system. For example, with Interactive Brokers to get a quote of YM all I have to do is type YM and it gives me several choices, one of them is Futures, and when I chose that it has choices of contracts. With Sierra Chart it is not automatic like that. When I first started Sierra Chart it was a bit of a hassle to figure out their contract symbol system.

And I don't think Sierra Chart offers chart trading. For example, it doesn't allow me to quickly adjust stops by moving a stop line on the chart. There is an order entry window, but I'm looking for a platform that allows me to trade directly from the chart and quickly adjust stops by simply moving a stop line on a chart rather then manually type in the number.

Also, on my Sierra Chart I was not able to place vertical grid lines. It is in the menu as an option but when I click on it it doesn not work. The horizontal grid lines work.

Hey Abe, did you experiment with IB's bracket orders feature? It's pretty good for quick trades along with stop/target placement that you can configure in order defaults...

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/trading/orders/bracket.php

Sorry if this is nothing new to you.

Thanks Nvesta. I looked at IB's bracket order a while ago and was not able to get it to work properly. Currently I setup an order row and right click on it and select auto stop, then type in the stop amount, and then execute the order, which is usually a market order. I feel the process takes too long and sometimes I'm not able to get in when I want. But I should adjust the default stop level to the standard 10 points that I usually use to help speed up the process.

I'm interested in bracket order if it allows partial fills. For example, if I want to trade 2 contracts, can I set a bracket order to sell one contract at +10 and keep the other contract indefinitely?

Did you try Bracket trader i did and it works good for me

http://www.bracket-trader.com

mkp14

Thanks mkp14. I'm moved away from IB to Open E Cry for my paper trades. It's $24 or something around there per month for simulator account, but it is the best deal I could find. Good charting, good DOM, clean and user friendly. I tried Ninja Trader's simulator acccount running on IB feed. Other than the fact that the Ninja Trade part is free I'm not impressed with it. So it looks like I'll be staying with the Open E Cry for paper trading.

Guest cooter
Thanks mkp14. I'm moved away from IB to Open E Cry for my paper trades. It's $24 or something around there per month for simulator account, but it is the best deal I could find. Good charting, good DOM, clean and user friendly. I tried Ninja Trader's simulator acccount running on IB feed. Other than the fact that the Ninja Trade part is free I'm not impressed with it. So it looks like I'll be staying with the Open E Cry for paper trading.

If you really want to save the $24/mo at OEC, just sign up for the demo again with a different e-mail when your account expires.

Or deposit say, $50K with them, start pushing volume and maybe you'll get the same deal as Brownie did, and they'll waive the monthly fee for your demo.

If you really want to save the $24/mo at OEC, just sign up for the demo again with a different e-mail when your account expires.

Or deposit say, $50K with them, start pushing volume and maybe you'll get the same deal as Brownie did, and they'll waive the monthly fee for your demo.

Too much trouble IMO. I will close my IB account and save the $10 per month that I get charged for not trading. Their technoloy is very poor for day trading.

Hey Brownsfan. I use Sierra Chart for now. It was a step up from the Interactive Brokers charting.

I'm not very impressed with Sierra Chart. I have one chartbook with 4 charts in it. As far as I know it doesn't allow me to view the charts in different windows. I'm forced to view all the charts from the same window and to flip through them I have to press F4 to go back a chart and F9 to go forward a chart.

I'm also not impressed with their contract symbol entry system. For example, with Interactive Brokers to get a quote of YM all I have to do is type YM and it gives me several choices, one of them is Futures, and when I chose that it has choices of contracts. With Sierra Chart it is not automatic like that. When I first started Sierra Chart it was a bit of a hassle to figure out their contract symbol system.

And I don't think Sierra Chart offers chart trading. For example, it doesn't allow me to quickly adjust stops by moving a stop line on the chart. There is an order entry window, but I'm looking for a platform that allows me to trade directly from the chart and quickly adjust stops by simply moving a stop line on a chart rather then manually type in the number.

Also, on my Sierra Chart I was not able to place vertical grid lines. It is in the menu as an option but when I click on it it doesn not work. The horizontal grid lines work.

Hello. I just want to add regarding my highlighted comment above that Sierra chart may allow you to view multiple charts on different monitors. At the Infinity webinar this morning the host said that there is a way to view the charts on multiple monitors. I did not figure out how to do that when I was using Sierra. And I'm not certain if the host understood my question. Either way, if you are interested in using Sierra you might want to look into that.

Guest cooter

You mean other than by stretching the main window to cover all the monitors?

You mean other than by stretching the main window to cover all the monitors?

The host said something about dragging the chart to the other monitor. But again, he may have not understood my question.

Sierra Charts

@AbeSmith

some correction:

1) You can view multiple charts on your monitor or on two monitors.

Each chart will be in its own window, so you need to make it smaller same like

any window in MS Windows. If you use 2 monitors, you expand the programm over those two monitors, and the cahrt windowns you then drag around as you wish between those monitors, same again, like in windows.

2) you can adjust your stop directly on chart. For thi, you need to activate "chart trade mode" (its under Trading, it says "chart trade mode on/off)

I use Sierra Charts with IB. If you have chart trading mode on, and you issue an order to open a position, you will alos see that line on the chart. you can also issue an order directly from the chart, besides the order entry.

Unfortunatelly Sierra Chart does not have a DOM entry system like Ninja Trader.

3) I fully agree, that the symbol entry is the worst part in Sierra Chart. You have to enter it manually, it will get safed like a file, very confusing, and with Futures you then need to delete and enter a new symbol each time on roll over.

But once it is all set up, you safe it under chartbook, and thats it. You just have to then adjust the expired futures. Shares and FOREX is for ever.

4) you can have vertical lines, and customize them its under charts settings (F5).

Resume:

I also talked to a Broker on Infinity, and he comfirmed me, that Sierra Charts is the best bang for your buck. I pay 25$ per months, for a package with has many features, only thing I miss is TPO (MArket Profile), which costs more if you want that feature.

Sierra Charts is also highly customizable, but it needs time to get used to it.

When I first saw it, I did not use it, untill that broker told me to give it a second try. I am glad for that hint.

Once you get used to it, and have everything set up once, it is very fast.

Ninja Trader is way slower loading charts.

Of course, IB charting is the worst ever, and does not compare

Hint:

there is a programm called button Trader, which is an exclusive entry system only for TWS. Its a very nice DOM, with tons of features, and incredible fastt.

Its not for free, but you can test it forover, works with TWS paper trading account.

Also when I enter a trade with button trader, and have chart trading on, I will see the line on the chart in Sierra Charts. Of course you see the entry in TWS as well.

Button Trader is great for scalping, because its so fast and tick accurate.

(only works with IBs TWS)

Hey Browns Fan,

I use Sierra Charts. There are some weak points, but overall, I am an advocate. It is highly customizeable. On my trading screen setup, I have one trading chart (YM or ES), TICKS, TRIN, and an anchor chart displayed at the same time.

SC is interested in improving their services, and they release an updated, new-and-improved version once or twice a month. Nearly every time I watch a TTM video on which Hubert shows a feature on TS, I find that SC has the same feature.

SC has a ton of command shortcuts. I am planning to make a cheat sheet for them all sometime (that's medium priority, so it keeps getting pushed back). It has pretty much any indicator you could want (though you're not into that stuff). Screen updates are fast (at most 0.5 sec behind brokerage data).

SC has tick charts and volume charts.

Pros:

- price

- lots of features

- custom programmable tools

- support forum

Cons:

- backfill on data can be a pain

- daily charts are a separate file from intraday

- in mid 07 currency daily charts weren't loading properly (since fixed)

- may have to reprogram any custom indicators using C++

- user interface could be a little prettier

One disadvantage is that by the time you're getting used to SC, MultiCharts will probably be back up and running.

Hope this helps,

Bam-Bam